Home Match Day Thread 23/01/2024 L1: OUFC vs Barnsley

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carpy

Staff member
Should be our toughest test of recent times this evening if the form table is to be believed

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 17.26.07.png

I think I'll put that one down to the weather. Poor game, poor attendance and poor atmosphere. On the plus side it was easy to get a sausage roll at half time. We really did struggle to create anything much, and I thought we were physically bullied for a lot of the game, Goodrham especially. Their #3 defensive midfield was big, strong and mobile, seemed to be everywhere. Would love to have a player like that.

When McEachran came on we switched from a double to a single pivot and it seemed to work much better with Brannigan further forward. Makes me wonder if we should do that from the start of games from time to time. You really have to trust your defensive midfielder though, needs to be someone like their #3.

Agree with one of the comments above that with Bennett and Stevens as your wide players you're going to struggle to create much from those channels, it leaves us fairly limited. I thought Leigh did pretty well when he came on, hopefully a sign of things to come.

I thought they managed the game pretty well, good team.

Blimey, that’s a thoughtful, articulate and intelligent contribution to the debate.
And no surprises about who gave it a thumbs up.
Fair comment @TailsWeWin. I just find some of the comments to a defeat ridiculously over the top. Yes we all have an opinion and none of us like to see the Yellows lose, but there are plenty of reasoned thoughts on the match as to how the game panned out. FWIW, I thought if we had someone who could stick the ball in the net we might/could have won that match.

In the first half Barnsley quite clearly knew how to play the conditions. With the wind at their back, they were happy to hoist the ball up into 2 mobile forwards up front. Safe in the knowledge that if they didn't win the first ball, that someone in their 3 man midfield would probably get the second ball and they could maintain the pressure. They were quick to move it out to one of the wingbacks and try and get the ball into the area. It was direct and effective and watching it I felt similar to the second half at home against Derby where we were up against a team who were direct and pragmatic, who had a squad and system who could play that way. The difference for me was that against Derby we didn't really have a way to counter it, whereas last night I think we could have made more of a fist of it, possibly by going 4 across the back and 5 across the midfield to help get on top of the midfield and their wing backs. As it was I don't think McGuane, Brannagan, Goodrham or Rodrigues were in the game at all for the first half last night.

They had Russell (number 3) at the base of their 3 man midfield and he must have been about 6ft 3 and the sort of presence that I would love us to have for times like last night. I do feel a bit for Des, as I don't think we have the personnel for games like that, and a lot of what I feel like I'm seeing is confirmation what we already knew about the lack of depth and options in our squad, and how we are still hamstrung by those last few crap Robinson transfer windows.

On paper, Goodwin makes complete sense and it's pleasing to see what we're building, but of course him being unavailable does us no favours here and now. He would've been a great option for us last night, as their centre backs were there to be got at in conditions that did not suit goalies or defenders. The last week of the window is upon us and who we bring in will define our season. We desperately need some steely bastard in central midfield, as well as more pace and another centre forward. Feels like a hell of an ask for a January window to me, but I live in hope.

Des highlighted after the Carlisle game we had a weakness down our right hand side, so I wasn’t surprised he brought Sam Long back in.

However it was still an area of concern in the first half as Cadden constantly got on the ball and caused us problems. So It didnt look as if Long solved that issue. But it’s not just down to Long, there’s Stevens as well as the wingback and the two didn’t look a cohesive partnership on the right hand side.

We were certainly no weaker when Smyth replaced Long, if anything it improved and I‘d say Smyth was better on the ball than Long.

I thought Burey was ok - got back well to defend a few times. Going forward, not a lot, but that was no different to the rest of the team really!

Well he didn't get injured* which feels like a major win.

In the first half Barnsley quite clearly knew how to play the conditions. With the wind at their back, they were happy to hoist the ball up into 2 mobile forwards up front. Safe in the knowledge that if they didn't win the first ball, that someone in their 3 man midfield would probably get the second ball and they could maintain the pressure. They were quick to move it out to one of the wingbacks and try and get the ball into the area. It was direct and effective and watching it I felt similar to the second half at home against Derby where we were up against a team who were direct and pragmatic, who had a squad and system who could play that way. The difference for me was that against Derby we didn't really have a way to counter it, whereas last night I think we could have made more of a fist of it, possibly by going 4 across the back and 5 across the midfield to help get on top of the midfield and their wing backs. As it was I don't think McGuane, Brannagan, Goodrham or Rodrigues were in the game at all for the first half last night.

They had Russell (number 3) at the base of their 3 man midfield and he must have been about 6ft 3 and the sort of presence that I would love us to have for times like last night. I do feel a bit for Des, as I don't think we have the personnel for games like that, and a lot of what I feel like I'm seeing is confirmation what we already knew about the lack of depth and options in our squad, and how we are still hamstrung by those last few crap Robinson transfer windows.

On paper, Goodwin makes complete sense and it's pleasing to see what we're building, but of course him being unavailable does us no favours here and now. He would've been a great option for us last night, as their centre backs were there to be got at in conditions that did not suit goalies or defenders. The last week of the window is upon us and who we bring in will define our season. We desperately need some steely bastard in central midfield, as well as more pace and another centre forward. Feels like a hell of an ask for a January window to me, but I live in hope.
That’s the three isn’t it, trying to get by without that holding mid might cost us unless we absolutely nail the other two signings.

I don’t think it’s helping Des that he’s not settled on a clear preferred system yet. That’s not necessarily his fault with the players we’ve had missing, but he’s getting key selection decisions wrong - last night he was brave to pick Long but he should have been brave to pick Leigh.

Hoping that getting another senior winger or forward in helps him settle on a front 3. Once he’s got that, I think the rest pretty much picks itself. Can’t see Leigh being on the bench again.

It wasn't that we just lost, the performance was pathetic.

No urgency until the last 20 minutes.
Yes , but of course the weather had a say
Barnsley didn't score though, were they that much better???
They hit post, but we hit bar.
If,if ours went in, people would have been saying a draw was what we deserved
Every one is magnifying every little part of the game
I thought we were a little poor and so too Barnsley, because mainly because of the weather

Did Long really do that much wrong? Thought he had a few decent touches and got involved, was unlucky to be challenging on what was a wickedly whipped cross their striker would have likely put in anyway, then got an awful head injury.

To say he was the reason we lost tonight seems a little bit of a stretch to me.
Maybe being harsh here, but it didn't look like Moore, who was in front of Long and Cole got off the ground to try and head away.

By the way I do rate Moore.

What is all this chat of poor weather conditions. It was the same for both teams and it made little difference to our play. How did the weather affect us when taking a throw in, half way into their half and our best option is to throw it backwards and two touches later it’s with our keeper. This happened too many times.
They pressed us expertly for 97 minutes and we had no option but to knock it long an lose the ball in an aerial challenge (and not pick up the second ball) repeat, repeat repeat with some knocking it around aimlessly at the back in between. I was hopeful the second half we’d find a way to deal with it but no.
Aside from a few minutes at the end where they sat back too deep. One of the most boring performances I’ve seen since DB took over. The reason the atmosphere is crap is because nothing is happening. It boring!
The work rate to get back behind the ball, dread to say it but, behaviours seems to have gone. We are impotent as a side going forward.
Blame the weather if you will but the results aside I don’t think we were much better against Carlisle or Charlton.

Not sure what the tactic was with Stevens. He seemed to take up a strange position especially in the first half. Played a bit further forward than Bennet but didn’t track back to help Long. That gave Cadden acres of space as Long was always covering another forward. Almost seemed like we were a man down on that side.
Absolutely this.
Long and Stevens were not coordinated.

What really disappointed me was when Herbie Kane went down injured, the Barnsley manager and a number of the coaching staff got most of the players round immediately, all dishing out individual and team instructions and pumping the players up. Our players just stood around getting cold and wet, Des was nowhere to be seen, almost like he was hiding and didn’t know what to say or do, and same with the other senior coaching staff. Eventually they came forward just as play was about to restart almost as a token gesture.

I’ve noticed this before in other games too, maybe he doesn’t feel he needs to dish out more instructions, but every other team seems to do it and it sends out a message to the players and the opposition. This really concerns me that we don’t have the right set up or the ability and know how to change things.

We are still playing exactly the same way we did under Manning but not so effectively, and in 2 months under Des I haven’t noticed anything about our style or systems or players performances to suggest that he has as of yet put his own stamp on the team and the way we play, and coaching wise it’s like everyone has been told to just carry on as you were doing previously and we’ll just hope for the best! It’s definitely concerning!
I explained this further up thread, then bizzarly, i got to told I had t t t t t t t teretes & they was going to block me .. Strange . I've moved to the South stand this season & it's one of the first things you notice. When there's a lull in play, the opposition bench are barking, out instructions, arms pointing here & there. Our lot nothing just stood there like little lost kids. Not even the captain shouting , & players getting there points across. It's like they're lost sheep. Deflated & defeated, to me that's a lack of confidence &leadership all around..

What is all this chat of poor weather conditions. It was the same for both teams and it made little difference to our play. How did the weather affect us when taking a throw in, half way into their half and our best option is to throw it backwards and two touches later it’s with our keeper. This happened too many times.
They pressed us expertly for 97 minutes and we had no option but to knock it long an lose the ball in an aerial challenge (and not pick up the second ball) repeat, repeat repeat with some knocking it around aimlessly at the back in between. I was hopeful the second half we’d find a way to deal with it but no.
Aside from a few minutes at the end where they sat back too deep. One of the most boring performances I’ve seen since DB took over. The reason the atmosphere is crap is because nothing is happening. It boring!
The work rate to get back behind the ball, dread to say it but, behaviours seems to have gone. We are impotent as a side going forward.
Blame the weather if you will but the results aside I don’t think we were much better against Carlisle or Charlton.
Yes; blaming the weather is an easy Out. It was the same for both sides and Barnsley adapted better.
Surely surely we could see how they used the wind to their advantage in the first half, but did we do the same?! Nope. We hit it hard and fast towards the goal line with the in inevitable consequences. Sometimes we are SO naive.

I thought that was a sobering evening.

You have to acknowledge that the conditions were poor, with the wind being especially difficult of course, but...

We are slow, predictable and naive. None of those were down to the conditions. Barnsley started off with the silly passing it about at the back stuff but (after nearly gifting us a goal) thought better of it and gave up doing it. Not us though - oh no. We kept doing it - and some of the passes back to the keeper were appalling. He was constantly being put under pressure by his own players doing this. There was one incident in the first half when one of our players dibbled it backwards from the half way line through both Oxford and Barnsley players before putting in what looked like a cross across our own six yard box!

The marking and closing down outside our own box was terrible. The cross for the goal was made under no pressure at all, and was from a similar position to where they had played a through ball which (but for the striker being offside) would have been a goal - again no pressure applied.

The amount of stupid, naive fouls we gave away when chasing the game was unbelievable.

Players were constantly taking the easy option, passing it sideways or backwards five yards either back to the person who gave it to them in the first place or to someone standing stock still. We never got any sort of head of steam up until (possibly) just before the end.

Their number 7 was left almost completely alone on the right for much of the first half - he had the freedom of the pitch! Was he Long's man or Stevens'? I don't know and more importantly neither did either of them. Why the manager couldn't see that and sort it out I have no idea.

Barnsley were far from brilliant - they were not much better than us TBH. They did adapt their tactics to the conditions rather better but the awful ref should have cracked down on the ridiculous time wasting (he was terrible), and they did press our players quite well.

IMO Leigh was a breath of fresh air (although obviously not totally up to speed), Cumming dealt well with the conditions, Brannagan and Brown were their normal whole hearted selves. The rest were anonymous - Burey made little difference. Two more injuries won't help.

We can beat the teams at the bottom of the table but not those at the the upper end. I think we will end up in mid table, which is a shame.

I agree with most of this but I thought Brown was pretty poor last night, compared to normal. I thought Moore was the stand out defender by some way. Very composed. (Smyth also did well).

We’re not a good team when the opposition presses us high up the pitch, and we don’t have a plan b if they do. Our game is based upon retaining the ball and building the play slow until we get into the middle third on rare occasions, but then we lack ideas what to do in final third e.g. get the bloody ball into the box at the first opportunity. I think I remember Rodrigues getting the ball passed back to him from Goodrham and having the opportunity to put the ball into the box, but he then took a couple of touches to then play the ball back to Goodrham who had a tighter angle to get the cross in, plus being shut down by one of their players, hence only ending up getting a corner. And we know what tends to happen when we get a corner (nothing, apart from Carlisle, and we only talk about that as it’s rare as hailey’s comet coming around!)

GET THE f*****g BALL INTO THE BOX AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY, THAT WAY THE ATTACKING PLAYERS KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT AND CAN MAKE THEIR RUNS ACCORDINGLY RATHER THAN HAVING TO SECOND GUESS!

He definitely wasn't the reason we lost but despite time apart, Stevens and him still looked poor together. The amount of time and space they gave that number 7 in the first half was criminal. He lacked pace but had a sweet left foot and they decided to just leave him free time and time again.
I thought Tyler and Bennett looked poor together.

Sam Long out for a week with concussion from a head injury sustained last night

So much for 5-3 😉

Not dishing out much pelters tonight as it was very tricky to play decent football out there.

But if you’re not going to start shooting at goal till the 84th minute with a very strong wind at your backs then you sort of deserve what happened.

Too many ‘stars’ didn’t fancy it tonight , they know who they are.

Things also looked up considerably once the full backs got replaced. Was Long sure what position he was playing? Or Stevens? It was inadequate and Barnsley took the points home in consequence

Smyth has got to start; don’t really care where, think he’s a baller.

‘Tyson Fury’ faced difficult conditions for his debut; he too didn’t seem to know where he was playing.Also Bran put in a shift; he always does.

Barnsley alright, nothing special. Their 2 had Tyler G in his pocket for most of the game, while 22 was useful and Herb Kane is positionally excellent, he’s not scared to slow it down. McG’s problem is he can’t speed up,; clearly thinking about the old polski slep. McE deserves to start on Sat. Or Smyth, but I guess he’ll be at right back.

Let’s not get too down about it; those were pretty brutal conditions.

I think we’ve got one or two players who are ‘fair weather’ players, looked very good for the first 2 or 3 months of the season but not appreciating the wind, rain and less than perfect pitches since then.

Pray for an early spring!

Back
Top Bottom