Home Match Day Thread 23/01/2024 L1: OUFC vs Barnsley

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carpy

Staff member
Should be our toughest test of recent times this evening if the form table is to be believed

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 17.26.07.png

Yeah but ifs and but’s they hit the post in a similar way first half.
It wasn’t the result it was the manner of it.

But when we don’t play well and win, the vibe is that’s it’s a good sign.

Don’t play well and lose, the vibe is that it’s all going wrong.

In each circumstance we haven’t played well but the outlook is somehow different.

Over 90 mins I felt last night a draw was fair, so personally I will not get too negative about the outcome.

Plenty of us still in the mix and we will all drop points along the way.

We’re 6th … all to play for. Enjoy the ride

There would still be negativity Barnsley were poor but adapted to the conditions whereas we didn’t no urgency at all from our side last night but as someone else pointed out earlier in this thread they wanted the win more.

I guess on this point we’ll have to agree to disagree

We need to scrap the back 5

Cumming
Stevens Moore Brown Leigh
Mcguane Brannagan Rodridgues
Murphy/Goodrham Goodwin Harris

It wasn’t a game where we could ‘play well’, but could we mix it with a physical side when the weather was stopping us playing it on the deck….I think the answer was definitely no.

We had no power and little pace in the side which made it easy for Barnsley. I love TG, but he’s so lost in these games. He just gets eaten up by a massive defender when the ball gets fired into him and he’s got to control it.

We are still paying for Robinson’s mistakes of signing crocks on expensive wages, who all play in the same position. I love Bodin and Browne when they play, but the reality is they don’t play enough. We can take a risk on one, but Robinson took too many and it has cost us for a couple of months now.

We also missed someone who can play with his back to goal and I’m glad we’ve finally signed a target man in Goodwin. The ball was either holding up in the wind or in the second half just running straight out for a corner/throw in…which limits sparky because he’s better at running into space.

Last edited:
It wasn’t a game where we could ‘play well’, but could we mix it with a physical side when the weather was stopping us playing it on the deck….I think the answer was definitely no.

We had no power and little pace in the side which made it easy for Barnsley. I love TG, but he’s so lost in these games. He just gets eaten up by a massive defender when the ball gets fired into him and he’s got to control it.

We are still paying for Robinson’s mistakes of signing crocks on expensive wages, who all play in the same position. I love Bodin and Browne when they play, but the reality is they don’t play enough. We can take a risk on one, but Robinson took too many and it has cost us for a couple of months now.

We also missed someone who can play with his back to goal and I’m glad we’ve finally signed a target man in Goodwin. The ball was either holding up on the wind or in the second half just running straight out for a corner/throw in.
Bodin has actually had pretty good availability for us, we think of him as injury-prone because he'd previously had a bad injury, but your point in general is right. Tyler should have come off at half time, it's very unfortunate that the only non-injured winger is the smallest and least fast.

I think most of us agree that progress is being made. Some of us are looking for more progression more quickly and others think it will take more time (I'm in the latter camp). But i think we can all agree that things are improving over KR (Liam Manning wasn't in post long enough to judge).

I think most of us agree that progress is being made. Some of us are looking for more progression more quickly and others think it will take more time (I'm in the latter camp). But i think we can all agree that things are improving over KR (Liam Manning wasn't in post long enough to judge).
It’s why I’m not being too critical of Des. That lineup was very weak, but it’s not really his fault that we are lining up with that team at the moment. Hopefully we can rectify it with the addition of Goodwin and another couple of forward players.

But when we don’t play well and win, the vibe is that’s it’s a good sign.

Don’t play well and lose, the vibe is that it’s all going wrong.

In each circumstance we haven’t played well but the outlook is somehow different.

Over 90 mins I felt last night a draw was fair, so personally I will not get too negative about the outcome.

Plenty of us still in the mix and we will all drop points along the way.

We’re 6th … all to play for. Enjoy the ride
I’m not being reactionary and focused on one game. I also don’t agree with the vibe sometimes. I don’t think we‘ve played well for quite a few games. I would also rather be playing really well and losing than winning and being terrible. Because if you’re playing well results will take care of themselves.

Taking DB‘s own thoughts I’ll ignore everything before Peterborough and we were boring against Reading, Northampton, Charlton, Coventry, Wimbledon, Carlisle and now Barnsley. Even against Burton where we won 3-0 we were boring for long periods.

Now we have had our problems with injuries so it’s not time to hit the panic button just yet. But can you say we look like a team ready for the Championship?

I’ve never heard the Oxford Mail stand so quiet than in the last few games and it’s because we’re like watching paint dry. Hopefully we sign some exciting players in the next week.

I’m not being reactionary and focused on one game. I also don’t agree with the vibe sometimes. I don’t think we‘ve played well for quite a few games. I would also rather be playing really well and losing than winning and being terrible. Because if you’re playing well results will take care of themselves.

Taking DB‘s own thoughts I’ll ignore everything before Peterborough and we were boring against Reading, Northampton, Charlton, Coventry, Wimbledon, Carlisle and now Barnsley. Even against Burton where we won 3-0 we were boring for long periods.

Now we have had our problems with injuries so it’s not time to hit the panic button just yet. But can you say we look like a team ready for the Championship?

I’ve never heard the Oxford Mail stand so quiet than in the last few games and it’s because we’re like watching paint dry. Hopefully we sign some exciting players in the next week.

At the time of my post it was more a reflection of the immediate reaction to the loss and I was trying to compare that to how that reaction would have been different had the crossbar not got in the way, albeit the performance would have been the same.

But all in all I did feel a draw was a fair result and I stand by that, which doesn't really change the general drop off we have experienced over the last few months or how poor the game was. That said, we are still in the mix and the quality around us (bar one or two maybe) isn't outstandingly better, so a not insignificant improvement could be enough to see us through.

But yes, in all honesty I don't think we are anywhere close to competing in the Championship. I just assumed it would be a mid table season this year and was pleasantly surprised at how we started.

As you say, lets see what other signings might come into the building this week.

At the time of my post it was more a reflection of the immediate reaction to the loss and I was trying to compare that to how that reaction would have been different had the crossbar not got in the way, albeit the performance would have been the same.

But all in all I did feel a draw was a fair result and I stand by that, which doesn't really change the general drop off we have experienced over the last few months or how poor the game was. That said, we are still in the mix and the quality around us (bar one or two maybe) isn't outstandingly better, so a not insignificant improvement could be enough to see us through.

But yes, in all honesty I don't think we are anywhere close to competing in the Championship. I just assumed it would be a mid table season this year and was pleasantly surprised at how we started.

As you say, lets see what other signings might come into the building this week.
I agree 100% draw would’ve been a fair result.

Back
Top Bottom