Home Match Day Thread 24/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Leyton Orient

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Manning so clearly had a philosophy, what's been a little disappointing with Des is that his isn't so obvious. On the one hand he's allowing the players to play with more freedom and not place constraints on their type of play (like Manning did) but it's a little jarring in contrast.

What's really disappointed on that approach is the lack of discipline and organisation defensively. We struggle to reset when we give the ball away and keep missing good opportunities to clear the ball.

We saw similar problems under KR but with his sides we were always good value to attack in numbers and create second half chances (albeit with no plan B).

What concerns me the most is our spine has looked particularly weak last few games. Negru while filled with promise and plays okay, clearly needs a lot more in the ball. Our central midfield is just way off defensively right now and Harris while working his socks off, struggles to bring others into play.

Moore back and Brannagan taking responsibility for the team and leading (rather than "I'll win it myself") would go a long way.

Still feel Des has a lot to offer, but do think a lack of his own assistant has clearly undermined him in the eyes of some.

Draw lots for who plays, send them out and say "do it your way", could that be less or more effective than Des's negative non management of any game. If he hadn't inherited a healthy set of points we would be in deep ...... by now. I cannot remember a game under his management when I felt entertained. We have a reasonable squad, some not up to championship level, some on loan, but what we have at the moment are not producing the goods, is this the players fault or inept management?

Anyway, it was great to see our goalkeeper joining the attack in added time - haven't seen that since KR. At home. Desperate stuff.

Brannagan taking responsibility for the team and leading (rather than "I'll win it myself")
I partly agree, he seems to be taking a lot of shots from distance rather than looking for the pass. However, it is very clear that Brannagan is a level above the rest of the team. With the exception of Eliott, I don't think many of the current team would cut it as regulars in the Championship. The likes of McGuane, Ruben show glimpses, but lack consistency.
Even if Brannagan isn't playing particularly well, he still puts in 110% and wants to win.

Today was horrendous. We got what we deserved.

The midfield lacked bite, we didn’t win second balls and systematically we were second best all over the pitch.

The second goal came down our right, again.

Orient had a clear way of playing. If ours was counter attacking, while at home, then we cannot expect the atmosphere to improve. Frankly, the football is boring currently.

I’m almost certain that the players are not sold on the manager. They are not going the extra mile (running that bit harder, winning 50/50’s and engaging throughout the game).

Des has a cultured CV, but, it isn’t a career that screams success in England. As much as he likes to reference his previous successes, including U19/21 NZ or Indian league winnwrs, it does not translate to league 1 football where results are expected.

I was speaking with a very well thought of GK this evening who worked with DB at Oxford, he too felt that he may fail to gain the respect of the players, based upon his managerial (not coaching) career to date.

All of that said, our biggest issue is at Senior Management level. Without structure and clear roles to define performance, no manager will be a success with OUFC.

When you are one nil up at half-time and expecting to at best grab a draw, to a team below you, that’s says a great deal. The players look as lost as the fans are with with Des sadly. In his interviews he looks like a rabbit in the headlines. No point sacking him yet, but I am not hopeful he’ll turn it around. One thing might help is to actually play with a midfield. We look so lightweight in the middle with just Brannigan and Matete. Drop at least one, if not two from Rodriguez, Goodrham, and Murphy and put McGuane or McEachran in so we don’t get bypassed throughout the game. And get us to step up - we defend so deep under Buckingham - why!
As to your last point the only person I could see regularly urging the team to step up was Rodrigues. Fair play to him because he was wasting his time and pretty much a lone voice.
Forget Des giving instructions, or not, for a moment and who the heck is driving the team on within the players? Moore was missing but not sure if he’s animated or vocal enough either.
It just seems to be 11 individuals running round doing their own thing.

Last edited:
Having just caught up with this thread, I think it's quite evident that, despite most desperately wanting him to succeed, patience with Des is waning very quickly now.

I have previously tried to argue that his lack of a true assistant is perhaps limiting his ability to convey his message to the players, and I still think that is the case, but he shouldn't need an assistant to motivate the team and generate some sort of desire.

The 'football' being played at present is mind numbingly boring. There's undoubtedly a degree of recency bias, but I've been a ST holder for 20+ years and I can't ever remember it being this dull. We've been good (occasionally great) and woefully bad, but, at the moment, we are just nothing. There is nothing about this team.

I am very critical of Tim and Grant and think they are generally doing an exceptionally poor job of running the club, but that can only be used to cover up so much of Des' failings. The team had zero identity and the players don't seem to have a clue what they're supposed to be doing. 19 matches in and that is just not good enough.

Last edited:
This is not excusing our performance - because we were awful. Again. - but I actually thought that Orient were really good today.
They played out from defense the way we should be able to, but never seem to get right. Crisp, one touch passing throughout the team to beat the press, get the ball to one of your attacking midfielders and have them driving forwards towards goal.
At this level, when teams (including us) try to play from the back, it's usually pass-pass-dodgy pass-panic-hoof/tackle. But Orient kept the ball and found the right pass consistently well. We couldn't get the ball off them for long stretches of play. If their finishing hadn't mostly been bobbins, we could have had a hiding.

As for us.....can't help but think that our big problem area has become the centre of midfield. First couple of months of the season, when McGuane and RR were on fire, we dominated the middle of the park and completely ran games. Now, Cam is still doing his thing but everyone around him is either mostly invisible (RR) or playing like an absolute clown (Matete today.....followed by McGuane when he came on - it was absolute roulette as to where even a simple five yard pass would go for either of them). Really struggling to put any passes together, so we're having to resort to lumping the ball long down the channels to a set of forwards who are really not great in the air.

And we're still defending like we're afraid to tackle anybody. They need to start getting ****ing stuck in. I thought that was supposed to be Matete's game - the fact that he's not playing that way is making me wonder if this is actually how they're being coached. Just fill the space, try and get in the way, but don't commit. And sure, it's how many Premier League teams go about things, but this is League One and it just doesn't work at this level.
This is a really good post. Spot on

Left at half time yesterday as had a gig to get to.
For someone who has pointed out Harris’s assets to the team, even during his non scoring spell.
Take out the contribution to a very good goal. thought he and Rodrigues were poor. But so we’re many others

I have to say we were awful
Leigh wasn’t at his best usually I am a big fan. But he wasn’t the only one
We only showed any passion when we went 1-2 down
Negru and long, how many goals have been conceded because of one or both of these players
Mcguane was at fault in both of their goals

Thinking about yesterday again, it is clear that Moore is a huge miss to this side. His leadership and presence is being sorely missed, currently.

Watching recent games, it is clear that opposition teams appear to be having a lot of touches in our 18 yard box. We are leaving far too much to chance when trying to clear our lines. Meanwhile, we appear to have very few chances inside the box of the teams that we are playing.

I’d suggest that we are passive when trying to defend and unfortunately, I think that is representative of the Manger. When he speaks, he doesn’t really speak with authority and he appears to lack clarity. Our play is reflective of it.

As I mentioned before, I’m not wholly convinced that the players are fully invested in Buckingham’s methods and leadership. We have some talent in the squad but I don’t think the Manager has been able to assert enough control on them and the performances now are looking pretty rudderless as a result.

Buckingham will have big decisions to make in the summer. I believe that we will see a big overhaul in the senior playing group, as Des needs to get players in that are fully invested in his way of doing things. It’s clear our players were hurt when Manning left and they have not seemingly been able to fully overcome that disappointment.

RR publicly stated that he wanted Luke Williams as manager when LM departed. His performances since Des arrived, do not scream of him being 100% invested, do they? He is just one example.

Is Buckingham a strong enough leader to get hold of this group right now and pull them into a shape and clear structure - both tactically and emotionally? I’m not sure on current evidence.

Just today?

The atmosphere has been dire for a while. Ask anyone whether Oxford v Reading is a derby and they would laughed at you bearing in mind how quiet the fans were for that game recently.

Lots of reasons for it have been covered in other threads.
TBF the atmosphere is always s**t, it’s just the Oxfordshire way!!! - You only have to look at other clubs.

Back
Top Bottom