Away Match Day Thread +++ 24/2/18 Northampton Town vs OUFC matchday thread +++

We got very lucky today. Northampton squandered 4-5 clear cut chances throughout the game. We managed 2 clear cut chances with Buckley ricketts having an open goal blocked and Thomas' header hitting the post. Even when we put the pressure on we very rarely broke into their penalty area looking dangerous, we forced lots of corners and kept possession for periods, but nothing that impressive. They attacked directly and effectively, constantly putting pressure on our back four. Plenty of work for the new gaffer.

Thought Dickie looked excellent today, Mowatt and Obika poor. Thomas is far better than Obika and we really benefit from his hold up play and movement.

I thought we played well and looked a lot more dangerous than north. Need some potency up front.

We all said in TGIF (sigh) before the match that we would take a draw. Them gaining 3 points on us would have been a real nightmare, and I would have really started to worry about relegation.

Holding on to a draw seemed even more of an attractive proposition as the first half progressed. They were comfortably the better team, and had they had their shooting boots on could have been 3/4 clear by half time.

We were certainly better after the break, and probably edged the half. We started to get earlier and better quality balls into the box, and asked more questions of their defenders rather than playing in front of them all the time.

In terms of standout players for us, I thought Mosuinho was good, and Dickie had an excellent second half. Henry found space in the hole well and threatened to create chances, but none really materialised.

I thought Mowatt and Obika were poor. The former just doesn’t do enough for me. Too slow and ponderous on the ball and weak in the tackle. Obika frustrates the hell out of me. Such a big guy with good physical attributes, but lacks the requisite desire and mental toughness to really be nuisance to defenders that he should be.

So overall, it was a result and performance I would have taken before the match, so couldn’t grumble too much at full time. That said, it was frustrating to see our performance levels drop after a more promising outing last week, and it could/should have been a much worse result had they finished off their early chances.

I hope next week we focus on getting the ball into dangerous areas quicker, and just ask more questions of the opposition defenders in general when we have the ball (shut down, run in behind and at them, get more bodies in the box etc.). When we do that, we tend to look the better team.

I said id take a point before the game and its a big point towards safety so it will do. 3 positives for me. The point, a clean sheet and Dickie.

What i couldn't understand was why we switched Buckley Rickets to the left in the 2nd half when he was arguably our most dangerous player in the 1st, playing on the right. Faz finally switched him back to the right later in the half and for those 5mins he had more touches than the whole of the time he was on the left, he just started getting back into the game and then he was subbed for Napa. :unsure:

Despite missing the game's best chance, the one sub that made a difference was Thomas, still not convinced with GVK, the strongest part of his game is chasing down a few lost causes, poor touch in general and if he plays (at all) it has to be out wide.

Last edited:
Put it this way it was a better point for us than it was for them.

Despite missing the game's best chance, the one sub that made a difference was Thomas, still not convinced with GVK, the strongest part of his game is chasing down a few lost causes, poor touch in general and if he plays (at all) it has to be out wide.

Will anyone ever be convinced by him?

Agree Northampton had a few chances early in the game, which they could have scored from, but we didn’t fold, and I think we took control in the second and missed a few chances ourselves. Also agree thar Mowatt and Obika were poor, but we took off Henry who I thought was playing quite well.
The players I was impressed with was Dickie, Ledson, Kane and Mousinho.
Overall a good point but in the end should have been all three.

Last edited:
Don't understand why Brannagan wasn't involved he is a great set piece taker and strong passer with lots of energy. We we're crying out for a set piece taker today as some of them were woeful.

Also got to feel for his dad travelled down from manchester to watch him and he didn't even get on the pitch.

Don't understand why Brannagan wasn't involved he is a great set piece taker and strong passer with lots of energy. We we're crying out for a set piece taker today as some of them were woeful.

Also got to feel for his dad travelled down from manchester to watch him and he didn't even get on the pitch.

Think he’ll get minutes next week.

Wouldn’t advice making tactical decisions based on which family members are in attendance however ;)

Think he’ll get minutes next week.

Wouldn’t advice making tactical decisions based on which family members are in attendance however ;)
That's fair just saw a tweet on twitter from his dad saying he was disappointed. he will have been training for 3 weeks it seems inevitable he'll get atleast 20 minutes, although it is our other bogey side Fleetwood...

I just can’t understand how professional footballers can continually pass the ball to the opposition for literally the whole game ?

It was uncanny wasn’t it. We seemed to give the ball away for fun especially in midfield.

Thought for most of the first half we struggled physically (they must have had eight/nine players
above six foot)and we barely won a loose ball or a second ball. Cobblers missed several unbelievable
chances to go in front and we offered very little. We looked in disarray for long spells.
Dickie and Mousinho performed very well though. Dickie looks an excellent bit of business.

We improved markedly after the break and Cobblers lost all their momentum apart from a couple
of counter attacks and forays late on. They looked very ordinary as the game wore on after looking dangerous
First half. As soon as we went two up top we were transformed .Should have happened much earlier.
Jon Obika had a tough task up front on his own against two giants and this is not going to work
playing one isolated striker with such little support.

Don’t think much of Buckley-Ricketts (far too lightweight) and Smith-Brown is not strong enough either.
Mowatt toiled but lacked quality in his passing.Ledson the pick of the midfield but again guilty of
several misplaced passes. Thought Brannagan should have come on after an hour.

Overall a precious point but we must improve to beat Fleetwood next week. A new manager is
desperately needed.

It was uncanny wasn’t it. We seemed to give the ball away for fun especially in midfield.

Thought for most of the first half we struggled physically (they must have had eight/nine players
above six foot)and we barely won a loose ball or a second ball. Cobblers missed several unbelievable
chances to go in front and we offered very little. We looked in disarray for long spells.
Dickie and Mousinho performed very well though. Dickie looks an excellent bit of business.

We improved markedly after the break and Cobblers lost all their momentum apart from a couple
of counter attacks and forays late on. They looked very ordinary as the game wore on after looking dangerous
First half. As soon as we went two up top we were transformed .Should have happened much earlier.
Jon Obika had a tough task up front on his own against two giants and this is not going to work
playing one isolated striker with such little support.

Don’t think much of Buckley-Ricketts (far too lightweight) and Smith-Brown is not strong enough either.
Mowatt toiled but lacked quality in his passing.Ledson the pick of the midfield but again guilty of
several misplaced passes. Thought Brannagan should have come on after an hour.

Overall a precious point but we must improve to beat Fleetwood next week. A new manager is
desperately needed.

Ledson pick of the midfield, you’re joking hevwas horrendous. Not even sure if he passed it to our players. He lacks composure, so with him a Mowatt who basically offers nothing of any worth our central midfield pairing were awful.

Poor game today, and we were at sixes and seven, and should have been 2 or 3 down at half time, but luckily enough we had a better second half.

Obika’s just doesn’t do enough for me, walks around without a clue. Our best player today was Mousinho.

How he didn’t get on the pitch is beyond me as both Ledson & Mowatt had poor games, but Faz can be a bit of a, you know what sometimes e.g. leaving Thomas out of the squad last week.

Last edited:
First Clean Sheet since Blackpool i believe so defense should gain some confidence from that!

Not sure that was necessarily the result of good defending though. Northants just couldn’t get it on target.

Yet we hit the bar and the post, and took a point and kept a clean sheet. It’s a point against a team we don’t do very well against, follow it up with 2 wins against 2 very poor teams and it’s a great point

Dave, it was s**t today. Best thing was the result which most of us would have taken before the game.

Yet we hit the bar and the post, and took a point and kept a clean sheet. It’s a point against a team we don’t do very well against, follow it up with 2 wins against 2 very poor teams and it’s a great point

Dave, it was s**t today. Best thing was the result which most of us would have taken before the game.

Best thing was actually the Yellow Army singing “in the box, in the box, in the box” before the (short) corners.

Poor first half, much improved after the subs.

Dickie was great, and gives us an option at corners. Great to see Mous looking good again. Another good game from Kane.

Henry was good and I would have preferred Faz to replace IBR with Napa. I would rather IBR didn't start for us again. I worry he is being played because of his loan agreement, which could cost us. He is too lightweight, gives the ball away, and can't defend very well.

Mowatt had a dreadful game. Really keen to see what Branny can do. Ledson tried too many passes that weren't on.

Good to see Thomas looking hungry when he came on.

Fantastic level of support from the fans. Constant singing throughout.

I feel as though the team was hamstrung by Mowatt and IBR throughout today which is just too much.

Back
Top Bottom