Home Match Day Thread 26/12/23: L1 - OUFC v Cambridge

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
As I said in the build up thread, we need a good performance and result in front of a big crowd.

Yep after the goal we were all over the place for a bit, that doesnt make it a 4-0.

they did f**k all.
They missed 4 very simple chances in a spell where we didn't create anything. At the time I typed it we could have been 4-0 down, we were just fortunate they couldn't finish or take their chances.

Yesterday was the ultimate showcase of a game of two halves. We were so slow and lethargic first half and were fortunate not to go in 0-3 down. You kinda knew that Cambridge would regret missing those chances if we could get a foothold in the game and that's exactly what we did for a good half hour. Fantastic goal from Tyler and we kept on going. Last 10 minutes petered out as it looked destined for a fair draw but you sensed that there was one more chance and it was a great close range finish from Brown. We really need to play like we did second half throughout the 90 because teams like Derby will not be so forgiving if we give them that much time on the ball and chances like Cambridge had.

Anyone remember the Orient boxing day game back in 2003? We were 0-1 down for that only to win the 90th minute.

Really difficult game to analyse in the main given how drastically different the opening 30, subsequent 25, and final 35 minute periods were.

It’s difficult to overstate just how bad that opening half was. I was extremely concerned at half time (and to be honest, late heroics aside, still am a bit). We looked like we didn’t have a clue what we were supposed to be doing and had no real will to do anything about it. Body language of the players really worrying. It was like after 30 mins Cambridge collectively realised ‘hang on - this lot are shite’ and proceeded to absolutely muller us for the remainder of the half. Lucky to go in only one down.

Second half started much the same - and then something just flipped and we had space every time we got the ball into midfield, they couldn’t get out, and only one team looked like it was going to win it. Fair play to Des I suppose because he must have done something to cause this, but I certainly couldn’t see what it was. Superb individual goal from Goodrham, then two really good, brave subs from Buckingham. JM I was very surprised by, especially coming on for Maguane, but did very well, and the added bit of Henry’s technical quality probably got us the win. Massive fair play to him - I’d written him off completely, but on that showing he still has a lot to offer.

Would love to see that final goal back again because I’m sure there’s no way Brown can have been onside! Shame Bran couldn’t get the goal his performance deserved, the clear MOTM for me, the kind of performance we expected him to deliver every week when we gave him that whacking contract last summer. Singlehandedly hauling the team on at times. He’s had a good year but, in the matches I’ve seen, he seems to have come alive even more under Buckingham.

Stevens played very well for them, obnoxious time wasting aside. Two superb saves. Nothing on Beadle though.

Getting the stoppage time winner obviously very exciting, and gives a real surge of good feeling to the club that we (and particularly DB) have been needing. But it shouldn’t cover the fact that that first half was absolutely diabolically bad, one of the worst I’ve seen at home in a while, and came off the back of a similarly terrible performance on Saturday. You couldn’t see what we were trying to do with the ball, players were completely static and we were being totally dominated, at home, by the team sitting 14th in the league. As I said above, the players’ body language was so worrying. Passive resignation.

Credit where it’s due, DB’s changes (whatever they were) arguably swung the game in our favour, and I take the point that we have a massive injury list. But we need to be showing more than that. Performances like that second half are very much the exception, rather than the rule, at the moment, and I have to say I think we’re getting to the point where we can start asking why DB isn’t getting better than that first half performance out of the players. I think the fanbase’s patience is quickly running out, too - that atmosphere at the end of the first half was getting more than a little spicy.

Really fun end to the Christmas weekend and hopefully the excitement of the late goal will encourage some of the daytrippers to come through the turnstiles again in future. January can’t come soon enough - really tough couple of games coming up now before we can strengthen again.

PS A final point - I did wonder during the match why we couldn’t revert to our 3511 that was so successful under Manning with the players we have out? Bennett and Stevens can do the WB roles and, with Murphy seemingly out too, we now have basically one out-and-out fit winger in the squad (and a surplus of CAM/CDM types). One thing I loved about the first part of this season was our tactical malleability. I’d like to see DB show he can provide that, too.
Very strange game, Cambridge changed their approach after about 15 minutes and completely dominated the first half and really should have been out of sight. We looked as bad and as clueless as a Clotet side. The fans knew how bad it was and players looked visibly shocked at the reaction.
Second half was turned by Tyler's run and goal (Thanks Jack for not sorting your low left issue), not only did it buy some time, it gave us (players and fans) some energy and belief. It also meant Cambridge played deeper, were they pushed or did they do it of their own accord.
I agree that McGuane looked off the pace but Mceachran can only really play one half, the lack of squad depth meant we were managing fitness levels as well as the game.
We got over the line with passion and desire. The win could be a big cog in this season or a false dawn.
I understand Des ball wants to stretch the field, but without the luxury of multiple wingers this looks tactically niave because the current fit crop cannot play 90 minutes and are not great at tracking back. Where under Manning we looked dominant in the centre of the park. we now often look overrun. The danger being when we lose the ball in transition we look like easy pickings. On to Derby where potentially a much tougher test awaits

Their number 7, Brophy, was, apart from his glaring miss, excellent for large parts of the game. Carried the ball with intent and generally released it at just the right time. On the basis of yesterday’s game, I’m surprised he’s at Cambridge.

"The laws are clear. Law eight says 'all players, except the player taking the kick-off, must be in their own half of the field of play,' at kick off. Therefore, the referee clearly cannot and would not (from a fairness perspective) allow the kick off whilst players are off the field celebrating.”

Tyler (and some of our fans) seems to still think this isn’t the case. Has been a mistruth since 2018 on social media, with people still thinking the ref is just going to let a team of eleven to kick-off against the goalie!
Yes but the new law introduced summer 2023, days that any player still time-wasting through a goal celebration 30 seconds after a goal has been scored can be cautioned. A team now has only 30secs from the moment the ball hits the back of the net to be ready for the restart (kick off).

I’ve not seen any referee use the new law to dish out a yellow yet but in amateur football I certainly use it as a threat to get play going quickly.

1000048706.jpg
This was a great spot by the linesman. While our player closest to this side has an arm offside, all the others including Brown were played onside by the Cambridge defender's backside. Not sure which angles Neil Harris saw!

Yesterday was the ultimate showcase of a game of two halves. We were so slow and lethargic first half and were fortunate not to go in 0-3 down. You kinda knew that Cambridge would regret missing those chances if we could get a foothold in the game and that's exactly what we did for a good half hour. Fantastic goal from Tyler and we kept on going. Last 10 minutes petered out as it looked destined for a fair draw but you sensed that there was one more chance and it was a great close range finish from Brown. We really need to play like we did second half throughout the 90 because teams like Derby will not be so forgiving if we give them that much time on the ball and chances like Cambridge had.

Anyone remember the Orient boxing day game back in 2003? We were 0-1 down for that only to win the 90th minute.

A typically Atkins style winner for Alsop to win us that game.

I wouldn’t say we were lucky, just showed some fight to get ourselves back in the game for once. Some of these lesser teams have to play like that every week to get a result. DB obviously gave them a bit of a rocket at HT.

Yes but the new law introduced summer 2023, days that any player still time-wasting through a goal celebration 30 seconds after a goal has been scored can be cautioned. A team now has only 30secs from the moment the ball hits the back of the net to be ready for the restart (kick off).

I’ve not seen any referee use the new law to dish out a yellow yet but in amateur football I certainly use it as a threat to get play going quickly.
Indeed. But the ref isn’t going to restart play if Tyler steps a foot forward to celebrate with his teammates as some are suggesting.

31% of our League goals this season (excluding OGs and Pens) have been scored by one of our left-sided defenders (i.e. Leigh or Brown).

Someone who understands football better than you or I will be along shortly to explain how each of these goals was as a result of the space created by the intelligent runs of the aforementioned No.9.
Well said, Harris has an ability to makes runs and create space that would be missed terribly if he were not playing. Of course he needs to chip in with goals but sadly he seems to be judged by so many purely on goals and he offers a lot more than that. A player with his ability who scored goals as well would not be playing in League 1

They said on RO that McGuane was feeling a bit ill which is why he went straight down the tunnel.
Just shows how pivotal he is to the team when he's taking the play forward. His indisposition clearly had an affect on our first half performance. Maybe in the circumstances McEachran should have replaced him sooner.
Which 45 minutes is he going to play, or have you bought him a new pair of legs for Xmas. Main issue is not McGuane or Mceachran, it is the pace of play, players look incapable of passing and moving at the moment.
Strange how often matches against Cambridge end up defining our managers career path.
But so often it's McGuane's play from midfield that dictates the pace of play. Yesterday he was unwell and off colour. He's probably the player we most need fit and well and on top of his game as it influences those around him. Get well soon, Marcus.

I thought we looked lethargic in the warm up. Maybe that’s an area where more could be done to assure we start games on the front foot?
It really helps inspire confidence in Des that we were able to turn it around at half time. I would be interested to know what approach he took with players during the break, but it was certainly effective.

Also, the atmosphere for a home crowd was much better yesterday, even in the first half. I don’t particularly agree with booing players, but yesterday seemed to have a positive impact on the team and possibly helped the halftime team talk.

Bennett is actually taller than Leigh, according to wikipedia anyway. Leigh does seem to be able to jump an extra few inches over anyone else though!

I walked past Leigh before the Burton game and he was smaller than I thought he was, 5 foot 10 at most, it’s deceptive because he is so good in the air.

Very strange game, Cambridge changed their approach after about 15 minutes and completely dominated the first half and really should have been out of sight. We looked as bad and as clueless as a Clotet side. The fans knew how bad it was and players looked visibly shocked at the reaction.
Second half was turned by Tyler's run and goal (Thanks Jack for not sorting your low left issue), not only did it buy some time, it gave us (players and fans) some energy and belief. It also meant Cambridge played deeper, were they pushed or did they do it of their own accord.
I agree that McGuane looked off the pace but Mceachran can only really play one half, the lack of squad depth meant we were managing fitness levels as well as the game.
We got over the line with passion and desire. The win could be a big cog in this season or a false dawn.
I understand Des ball wants to stretch the field, but without the luxury of multiple wingers this looks tactically niave because the current fit crop cannot play 90 minutes and are not great at tracking back. Where under Manning we looked dominant in the centre of the park. we now often look overrun. The danger being when we lose the ball in transition we look like easy pickings. On to Derby where potentially a much tougher test awaits

The wingers are to side for me, people on here seem to get off in wingers hugging the touch lines but it’s old fashioned and to east to negate, our front three at times looked so far apart in the first half, left Harris completely isolated. We had far more joy when they cut inside, even if they get past a full back a cross travelling 30 yards is easy to cut out for defenders marking only Harris.

I walked past Leigh before the Burton game and he was smaller than I thought he was, 5 foot 10 at most, it’s deceptive because he is so good in the air.
A ball comes over and angels lift Greg on high to score.

• React
Reactions: m
Back
Top Bottom