Home Match Day Thread 26/12/23: L1 - OUFC v Cambridge

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
As I said in the build up thread, we need a good performance and result in front of a big crowd.

The biggest concern for me is our fitness levels. We seemed to be shot after 65 minutes on Saturday. Haven’t heard of any players returning after injury and there’s been insufficient time to recharge batteries:

Oxford United 1 - Cambridge United 1.

Please prove me wrong. I will gladly eat humble pie with my leftover turkey.
Big decision now. Do I have custard for the humble pie or gravy for the turkey?

poor first half albeit not as dire as at Northampton- better 2nd half, helped by subs tweaking/ tightening up the system

happy ( ecstatic!) to nick the win , - Jack Stevens made at least 2 top class saves, ( believe OUFC have an 'option'/ first dibs so to speak, on Jack Stevens , though I maybe imagined that? ), but TGs goal shows he still is vulnerable to long range shots - , hoping yesterdays (2nd half) showing will prove to be a return to winning ways, staring on Fri evening

Their number 7, Brophy, was, apart from his glaring miss, excellent for large parts of the game. Carried the ball with intent and generally released it at just the right time. On the basis of yesterday’s game, I’m surprised he’s at Cambridge.
Agree, I think it was Burton vs Cambridge on sky a little while ago and he was by far the best player on the pitch that night as well.

Another ‘soft’ set piece goal is concerning.

GCSQnEEWwAAjwbf

Is that thing where people think the opposition can kick-off if a team is all off the pitch celebrating? Absolute B*****s if so.

Yep, a side embarrassed themselves the other day and were moaning at the Ref because he didn't give them a goal. PL side I think.

Their number 7, Brophy, was, apart from his glaring miss, excellent for large parts of the game. Carried the ball with intent and generally released it at just the right time. On the basis of yesterday’s game, I’m surprised he’s at Cambridge.

Read the match thread on their forum, it explains why Brophy is at Cambridge but they expect him to move to a bigger L1 club or a Championship side as ooc in the summer as he has improved.

View attachment 17173
This was a great spot by the linesman. While our player closest to this side has an arm offside, all the others including Brown were played onside by the Cambridge defender's backside. Not sure which angles Neil Harris saw!

All of them are kept onside by that backside as offside in this instance would be judged from the shoulder of the nearest Oxford player I think.

It was in slow motion live watching from behind the goal and the defending was awful.
Made a semi-regular switch switch to the far left of the North Stand yesterday to be with family, and you couldn’t really see what happened directly as it happened.

It looked a real hot mess, as confirmed by the highlights.

I know one due to an unavoidable reason.
I've missed games at this time of year in the past due to being away at relatives in the far flung corners of the UK, and as a season ticket holder my seat would have been 'bought' but empty. I'm sure that's what many of the vacant home seats were.

Not sure what Cambridge's excuse was though...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom