International News Climate Change 🌍

if all properties cannot charge, a much reduced charging time
The charging time is dropping all the time, but you don't need to have charging facilities at all properties. Charging points are popping up all over the place, you charge before you go home, much like filling up with petrol as people do now. My company have just installed 12 charging points which are available to staff all throughout the day, so no need to plug in at home. I run past Bicester Village on my usual route, they have a bank of chargers there that are always at full usage, also Tesco.

Infrastructure is still 10 years away from being 'mainstream' though, a lot of work needs to be done still.

If you were suggesting electrifying them I'd definitely agree. That doesn't involve so much carbon, but a lot of labour.

What's your plan for new cars (which I'm sure you agree are needed at some point)? Cars last for ever here in WA because of the dry air, but I still see very few 30+ year-old cars and that's not just because most people want a shiny new one.
Possibly a standardisation of cars and their parts. So you buy a complete car where every component can be bolted in/out. You’d only need to buy one car. It would become similar to Triggers new broom.

The charging time is dropping all the time, but you don't need to have charging facilities at all properties. Charging points are popping up all over the place, you charge before you go home, much like filling up with petrol as people do now. My company have just installed 12 charging points which are available to staff all throughout the day, so no need to plug in at home. I run past Bicester Village on my usual route, they have a bank of chargers there that are always at full usage, also Tesco.

Infrastructure is still 10 years away from being 'mainstream' though, a lot of work needs to be done still.
That's great on a sub 3-minute charge time, but but many people (me included) can't be convinced to sit around a service station for 15, 20, 30 minutes at a time.

That's great on a sub 3-minute charge time, but but many people (me included) can't be convinced to sit around a service station for 15, 20, 30 minutes at a time.
I think that we need to be decentralising the charge points, not relying on 'service stations' by having charging points in places like carparks, at supermarkets, cinemas, work places etc for it to work. There will be people who are lucky enough to have the facility at home on their drive, but as you point out that just isn't possible for a lot of people in this country.

There is also the possibility of induction charging being built into roads (both stationary and moving). Again, a long way in the future, but a possible solution.

Marlow Trial
Autocar: Induction Charging Road

I still see a possible future where you don't get to drive your car. Autonomous vehicles can't work properly on roads with human drivers, so if autonomous starts to get legs, suddenly we'll have 2 road networks: the new one with autonomous vehicles that come at your request (like Uber, or like Singapore taxis, depending on your viewpoint) that's cheap and well maintained and heavily used, and the old one with legacy petrol heads driving because they like it.

The real cost described by bashamwonderland is definitely there, but I am less optimistic than him about the ability to make a safe, eternal car fleet using the existing stock.

I think that we need to be decentralising the charge points, not relying on 'service stations' by having charging points in places like carparks, at supermarkets, cinemas, work places etc for it to work. There will be people who are lucky enough to have the facility at home on their drive, but as you point out that just isn't possible for a lot of people in this country.

There is also the possibility of induction charging being built into roads (both stationary and moving). Again, a long way in the future, but a possible solution.

Marlow Trial
Autocar: Induction Charging Road
That's all very exciting, and if electric can be as cheap, reliable, resilient (my biggest concern) and easy as petrol then I would happily make the switch.

I still see a possible future where you don't get to drive your car. Autonomous vehicles can't work properly on roads with human drivers, so if autonomous starts to get legs, suddenly we'll have 2 road networks: the new one with autonomous vehicles that come at your request (like Uber, or like Singapore taxis, depending on your viewpoint) that's cheap and well maintained and heavily used, and the old one with legacy petrol heads driving because they like it.
My god, the future is Johnny Cab from Total Recall...

Total-Recall-Johnny-Cab.gif

The real cost described by bashamwonderland is definitely there, but I am less optimistic than him about the ability to make a safe, eternal car fleet using the existing stock.

Not too long ago I spoke with a number of engineers involved in the retrofitting of future cities for AVs. Most seemed to think it will occur but will have to be married up with human driven cars too. There's a logic to this as if you want to go to A-to-B, then an AV is fine. if you've got your kids with you and they need a car seat or you have a job where you need a van, keeping your own car makes sense.

What I think will occur will be a youth revolution in major cities towards AV usage - basically hailing a driverless Uber will become commonplace. Uber (or equivalent) will maintain all the vehicles and you pay through your app for the journey taken. Out in the sticks however, the self-driven car will remain the transport of use.

I'm fairly certain it will happen, but I can't see a future with 100% AV usage just yet.

Not too long ago I spoke with a number of engineers involved in the retrofitting of future cities for AVs. Most seemed to think it will occur but will have to be married up with human driven cars too. There's a logic to this as if you want to go to A-to-B, then an AV is fine. if you've got your kids with you and they need a car seat or you have a job where you need a van, keeping your own car makes sense.

What I think will occur will be a youth revolution in major cities towards AV usage - basically hailing a driverless Uber will become commonplace. Uber (or equivalent) will maintain all the vehicles and you pay through your app for the journey taken. Out in the sticks however, the self-driven car will remain the transport of use.

I'm fairly certain it will happen, but I can't see a future with 100% AV usage just yet.
Johnny Cabs ?

tumblr_0c90a6327f9d9f06621b2029d24fa5c4_29c93e30_540.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom