International News Covid-19 .....

Here we go:

Newcastle goalkeeper has recently been in hospital with covid and is going to be out for some time yet, while Saint-Max was KO’d for weeks last season, and most of their players still won’t take the vaccine. Article also mentions that Neil Warnock has said the majority of the Middlesbrough players have refused it. This is common across the game and clubs of all levels.

Brentford v Arsenal was apparently extremely close to getting called off last Friday after several Arsenal players tested positive, most notably Aubameyang and Lacazette. If it wasn’t the first game of the season in front of cameras I suspect the outcome might have been different.

It will be interesting to see what happens in a couple of months if (when) clubs with particularly low uptake find themselves dealing with outbreaks. Cases, deaths and admissions are creeping back up again, so it isn’t going away ahead of the cold and flu season.

If vaccination is mandatory to work in a care home.................

Just putting it out there... :)

If vaccination is mandatory to work in a care home.................

Just putting it out there... :)
It does seem incredible that players who will train rigorously, go to bed early, and obey rules about diet and drinking won't take a vaccination that could save their life or their career. And incredible that they are allowed to do so, as you say. But who's going to sack a player worth a million quid?

It does seem incredible that players who will train rigorously, go to bed early, and obey rules about diet and drinking won't take a vaccination that could save their life or their career. And incredible that they are allowed to do so, as you say. But who's going to sack a player worth a million quid?
Given their value you would have thought the clubs would insist on it to protect their assets.

So I assumed in practice they can't. Question mark.

Given their value you would have thought the clubs would insist on it to protect their assets.

So I assumed in practice they can't. Question mark.
The club could insist on it, but they have no form of sanction as they aren't going to suspend or sack a player worth lots of money who they need on the field.

As the article says, a lot of them believe that the vaccine / covid is some sort of conspiracy. A lovely little hangover from the days of Project Fear and having enough of experts, where all facts are just opinions that are worth as much as each other. There are consequences to changing the fabric of society and the way that it behaves, and this is one of many. This sort of thing would have been nowhere near as widespread pre-2015, but here we are.

I would love to see a percentage breakdown per club in terms of players and coaches fully or partially vaccinated versus those who are not vaccinated at all. No names, all anonymity protected, just numbers. Perhaps the PL / EFL should insist that clubs declare these numbers publicly. Not sure why fans should be asked to take tests and encouraged to get the vaccine while the players can do what they like. Would be interesting to see the mood of fan bases if it turns out that something like 80% of their team is completely unvaccinated.

The club could insist on it, but they have no form of sanction as they aren't going to suspend or sack a player worth lots of money who they need on the field.
Would a player have options to move though.? Would you want your club to pay £xxxm for an unvaccinated player?

I would love to see a percentage breakdown per club in terms of players and coaches fully or partially vaccinated versus those who are not vaccinated at all. No names, all anonymity protected, just numbers. Perhaps the PL / EFL should insist that clubs declare these numbers publicly. Not sure why fans should be asked to take tests and encouraged to get the vaccine while the players can do what they like. Would be interesting to see the mood of fan bases if it turns out that something like 80% of their team is completely unvaccinated.
Fans don’t have to be vaccinated to go to games though, just have a negative test. Players also have to have negative tests, in fact I’d imagine that players are tested way, way more than fans would be (one negative test before a game is all a fan would actually have to do) so I don’t see how fans could be annoyed - I bet the players are also under a lot of pressure/encouragement to get vaccinated!

I bet the players are also under a lot of pressure/encouragement to get vaccinated!
No they aren't. They get asked to have it and they say no and then they get on with their lives. There is no consequence.

You say fans don't have to be vaccinated - don't forget that the 'covid passport' rules will come in from the end of September, which means that actually, in some cases at a good number of grounds fans WILL need to be vaccinated in order to attend a football match. Yet the players won't need to be.

With the current rise in cases and deaths, we will be back in lockdown by the end of September if it continues

Maybe we should follow the NFL's take on player vaccination status. If a Covid outbreak occurs among unvaccinated players causing a postponement of a match, that team will be forced to forfeit said match if the game cannot be rescheduled during the normal regular season. This will obviously lead to teams putting a lot more pressure on their players to get vaccinated, and actually they are releasing the numbers on vaccination rates per team to the public.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-covid-19-outbreaks-unvaccinated-players-forfeit-cancelled-game

Ultimately, everyone is going to get this thing, it is almost as perfectly contagious as a virus could ever be tuned to be, so much so that it has no need to "evolve" to be more benign. The Chinese have truly let the genie out of the bottle with this one, and it is going to be a similar pattern to the flu in terms of tuning our vaccines to stay ahead and reduce the collateral.

Zero covid is complete and utter pie in the sky.

Ultimately, everyone is going to get this thing, it is almost as perfectly contagious as a virus could ever be tuned to be, so much so that it has no need to "evolve" to be more benign. The Chinese have truly let the genie out of the bottle with this one, and it is going to be a similar pattern to the flu in terms of tuning our vaccines to stay ahead and reduce the collateral.

Zero covid is complete and utter pie in the sky.
Yes NZ can't hide away from the world for ever, they need to get fully vaccinated quick

Very very interesting program on C4 last night on Covid19. Based around the case that it came from the Wuhan lab. Watch it on catch up if you get the chance. A real eye opener as to what goes on there!!

Yes NZ can't hide away from the world for ever, they need to get fully vaccinated quick

Where NZ have been behind the ball is pushing the vaccination programme. Iirc, they were slow in ordering sufficient numbers early on and missed a trick in not using the time they'd bought themselves. I don't know if they did or didn't do enough to counter anti-vax sentiment.

An interesting factoid is that positive test numbers are far higher now than this time last year and higher than pre/post Christmas 2020 during the on/off lockdown period. However, hospital admissions are some 75-80% lower and subsequent deaths are lower still.
88% have had at least one vaccine dose and 77% are fully jabbed.

Very very interesting program on C4 last night on Covid19. Based around the case that it came from the Wuhan lab. Watch it on catch up if you get the chance. A real eye opener as to what goes on there!!
Im utterly amazed that anyone still doubts it came from the lab. It staggers me.

highest death rate since March, and rising. Lots of people making wrong choices & paying for it.

Back
Top Bottom