Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Wenger made 67 more pro appearances than Buckingham.

Ferguson had a long playing career as did Klopp. Professionals.

Another seduced by the City Group. It'll all come crashing down one day. Give me a City group budget and disregard for the rules and I'll win them trophies.
Yep, because it’s that simple isn’t it. Not sure the players would want you if canvassed.

The absolute state of this thread....🙄

If there are players here who are SO fragile they can only play for certain manager, then they can take their OH SO fragile egos, f**k right off and go steal a wage from someone else.
And when they've fucked off, they can keep on f*****g off until they reach the lowest feasible amateur backwater league, where they should rightly languish.

What utter nonsense.

Last edited:
The absolute state of this thread....🙄

If there are players here who are SO fragile they can only play for certain manager, then they can take their OH SO fragile ego,s f**k right off and go steal a wage from someone else.
And when they've fucked off, they can keep on f*****g off until they reach the lowest feasible amateur backwater league, where they should rightly languish.

What utter nonsense.
It’s certainly up there for the most ridiculous rumours in a long while and shows the lengths some will go to when they don’t like a manager.

Still, it must be true because LeysBoy was ‘public enemy number 1’ once (no I don’t remember that either) for his ground breaking news that the players didn’t like Robinson.

No

It’s not inspiring agreed
He needs the summer to improve the squad, if its still shite after that then I’m with you.
Fair enough. My worry with that is if we start next season poorly and then make the change, we're effectively writing off next season as well.

If we were playing well and it was just the results that weren't there, I would agree with you. But after 18 games I would expect to see some positive signs. It just simply isn't good enough.

The difference between Steven Schumacher/Mousinho/Neill Collins and Des and the lad Millwall sacked today is 400 plus games and 10 to 15 years as a pro building up tatical knowledge, respect and connections.

Professionals coaching professionals.
Why did you leave McKenna out?

Professionals coaching professionals.
the-pros-2-750x400.jpg

Then they should be kicked out of our club. We're league one and that means that we will always have players that are not as good as we would want, are inconsistent or make mistakes.

But if a player, regardless of who they are, downed tools or stops giving everything, for any reason, they I don't want them to ever put the yellow shirt on again.

And if you are protecting people like that then I'd suggest that you're not the fan that you think you are.
finally someone calling out the players, weather Des is or isn’t the man to take us forward long term is up for debate (he needs a lot more time and a full pre season)

However what I find amazing is the amount of people willing to write him off for what really have been individual errors costing us what should be comfortable wins. The amount of times I’ve heard the blame instantly be out on Des for a bad back pass or shocking judgment calls by players like Long and Negru on Tuesday and Reading before that is bewildering. There are signs of progression there and yes there’s still plenty of improvement needed but we are progressing. If you watch Des closely during games he often signals for a player to move the ball in a certain way only for them to take the easier option and roll it back to the keeper instead of switching play for example. The core this squad now have proven over the last few years that like it or not they simply aren’t good enough to stay at the top end of this division over the course of a season, put it down to bad recruitment if you like but when the pressure is really on the majority simply aren’t quite good enough if we’re looking to get out of this league that’s the sad reality of the situation. Roll on the summer shift some of our crocked high earner and really see what we can do next season.

Also worth pointing out for everyone loving John Mousinho Pompey fans really weren’t sold on his aimless possession based football last season.

Remind me again, how many professional games did Wenger, Ferguson and Klopp play?

Also while you’re there could you remind me how John Terry, Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard are doing in their management careers?

Like it or not, Des is a very good, young and up coming coach who was part of the city group, an organisation who are known for hand picking some of the best up and coming coaches.
Mourinho never played a single pro game, and started out as Bobby Robson's interpreter. Roy Hodgson had an amateur playing career. There are a number of coaches in the Bundesliga who never played as a pro. Kieran McKenna never played a pro game. And so on. It's more about having a brain and a personality. Which is why John Terry, Lampard, Rooney etc. have all failed as managers.

Remind me again, how many professional games did Wenger, Ferguson and Klopp play?

Also while you’re there could you remind me how John Terry, Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard are doing in their management careers?

Like it or not, Des is a very good, young and up coming coach who was part of the city group, an organisation who are known for hand picking some of the best up and coming coaches.
What are we basing the 'very good' part of that last paragraph on? :unsure:

He's done well in his previous appointments but they're hardly a top level of football. We've not seen much at all in his time here to suggest he's 'very good'.

I appreciate that this post is just adding to a lot similar thoughts but for the record - Des wouldn't have been my first choice, then again I'm not sure who would have been and to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed by Manning's appointment. However, once appointed, I'll give them my backing and I wanted/want both to succeed, particularly Des in the wake of Manning's hasty exit.

I'm not calling for Des' departure, I just want to see progress, a definable style of play and attacking football. We have a decent squad and the long term injuries are players we didn't think we see again this season anyway (fingers crossed on Cam). At the present time, the football is neither one thing or another and the frustration is driving me mad and actually spoiling my enjoyment. Seeing a left back lining up in advanced position when we actually have four fit wide men was slightly Robinsonesque.

I have round trip of 120 miles for home games, that's not a complaint as I've been doing it for 30 years but my enjoyment is diminished at the moment. I'm going to take a break from it on Saturday and cross my fingers for a win and resume at Portsmouth. I know we are in the play-offs and in contention, but a couple of weeks off and probably staying away from some of the mad posters on here will hopefully help!

What are we basing the 'very good' part of that last paragraph on? :unsure:

He's done well in his previous appointments but they're hardly a top level of football. We've not seen much at all in his time here to suggest he's 'very good'.

He literally explains why he's a very good coach, he was picked up by the City Group who are big time players in the football world, anyone who takes a vague interest in football knows that. I'd value their judgement on a coach more than yours to be honest.

He literally explains why he's a very good coach, he was picked up by the City Group who are big time players in the football world, anyone who takes a vague interest in football knows that. I'd value their judgement on a coach more than yours to be honest.
?

That isn't evidence he's a very good coach. That's like saying any player who's been in City's academy is 'very good' simply because they were part of the City Group. What determines whether you're 'very good' or not are your accomplishments and the level or your accomplishments - not who you were employed by.

With Manning, we only really started to see a style of play become apparent at the start of this season, after he'd had a full pre-season with the squad (and even then a few headbangers wanted him gone after we lost at Bristol City). Buckingham has been here a while, but there have been a lot of weeks with Tues/Sat fixtures which means he's probably only getting a couple of training sessions a week and then not with the full squad because a lot have been injured. So I'd expect his style of play to take longer to become clear to the fans.

March is quieter, with only 1 Tuesday fixture so hopefully we'll see more before the end of the season, but really this is one of the reasons why most sensible fans will say you need to wait until October before you make a judgement.

?

That isn't evidence he's a very good coach. That's like saying any player who's been in City's academy is 'very good' simply because they were part of the City Group. What determines whether you're 'very good' or not are your accomplishments and the level or your accomplishments - not who you were employed by.
Being in the City academy doesn't make you "very good", but it does mean you're more likely to become "very good" than if you're in, say, the Swindon academy.

Back
Top Bottom