Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
See jodi Jones might be off to Swansea, did we miss out on the lad ,obviously Talented but KR messed him about ,I hope he does well.
He had 4 assists against Grimsby last weekend. Do we know what happened between him and KR, why he was completely shut out from the start? He rarely even made the bench for us.

He had 4 assists against Grimsby last weekend. Do we know what happened between him and KR, why he was completely shut out from the start? He rarely even made the bench for us.
Was too fit and likely to play a lot of games, was also good at playing in the position he signed for, not willing to adjust to a holding midfielder

IIRC the cat 3 academy was restarted with promotion back to L2. So assume 2010 and if you were a 9 year old then you would be 23 now. In reality from pretty much a standing start I think it takes about 10 years to really build a system and starting bearing fruit. There have been some such as Shandon Baptiste (although not in the academy for long) and of course the current cohort and those coming through but not significant numbers into the first team. Alongside that there are many talented players who never get to the top of the pyramid ay Oxford. For example in the past year there has been circa £400k of players sales.

The outcome that I think we are heading towards is 1 or 2 a year that are potential first team (after a loan period) and an overall first team squad with 5 or 6 graduates - and elsewhere the player sales to Prem clubs means that the academy is a zero cost or even net contributor to FFP.
So we are 13 years into our current academy structure which over that period must have cost a substantial sum to run but frankly with little financial or playing return.
How do you calculate the income from player sales (of academy graduates) in the past year as £400k?
Which other academy graduates would you say could be regarded as established members of the first team squad currently.
Finally, at what point in the future do you see 5 or 6 academy graduates as established first team squad members. I doubt that is likely in the the next 10 years if at all.
Isn’t the truth of the matter that for clubs like ours, the cost of running an academy is uneconomical as with a very few exceptions the ability to attract potential is non existent.

See jodi Jones might be off to Swansea, did we miss out on the lad ,obviously Talented but KR messed him about ,I hope he does well.

That would be following Luke Williams rather than another club choosing to make an offer.

But it does sum how utterly ridiculous it was for us to have him on trial, offer him a deal, and then use him for the grand total of 19minutes in the league.

Browne, Murphy, and Edwards are all good wingers with question marks over their long term fitness. We’d need to put them through some sort of contest or joust to determine which one of them is worth giving a new contract to.
A jousting contest would be interesting🤔 ⚔️

Probably a low wage contract/pay as you play. Ensures we have him on the books and then if all goes well can sort out a longer contract going into the summer. Makes perfect sense to me.
Surely our medical team must have some idea of when he’ll be fit to play again and if not by at least the end of Feb, what is the point unless we have an option on his services next season. As he showed briefly, a fit Kyle Edwards would be a real asset.

We missed out big time with Jones. Imagine it will be a fairly substantial fee if it happens. Still got a year and a half left on his contract at Notts.

Surely our medical team must have some idea of when he’ll be fit to play again and if not by at least the end of Feb, what is the point unless we have an option on his services next season. As he showed briefly, a fit Kyle Edwards would be a real asset.
He himself and all the media pieces have said end of March

Rumour Mill: After having his successful trial with us, he spotted KR giving a trial of his own to player in the ladies team & spoke about it.

Outside of the box suggestion for a signing; Maximilian Entrup

He wasn't good enough according to some KR sympathisers on here!
Jones and Agyei were openly criticised and (especially in Agyei's cas)e bullied by Robinson, which meant some posters were also able to criticise as there's no way Robinson could be wrong and they were definitely not good enough. I'll tell you who definitely was good enough though, Jamie Mackie. No way would he have played all those games, often coming on for 2 minutes at the end, if he wasn't. And of course the standards setting in the dressing room was invaluable.

This isn't meant as an I told you so post either, more that it's worth putting any pre conceived views to the side and looking at what is in front of your eyes. Anyone could see that those two in particular were treated appallingly (I'd add Smyth to that too from last season). It doesn't make you less of a fan to point out where the club could be doing something better.

Last edited:
So we are 13 years into our current academy structure which over that period must have cost a substantial sum to run but frankly with little financial or playing return.
How do you calculate the income from player sales (of academy graduates) in the past year as £400k?
Which other academy graduates would you say could be regarded as established members of the first team squad currently.
Finally, at what point in the future do you see 5 or 6 academy graduates as established first team squad members. I doubt that is likely in the the next 10 years if at all.
Isn’t the truth of the matter that for clubs like ours, the cost of running an academy is uneconomical as with a very few exceptions the ability to attract potential is non existent.
- Clubs receive funding for academies from the premier league, but it does take time to build, has a correlation with performance of the first team (when it comes to recruitment) and does involve financial commitment from the club also. To date I would guess it has been broadly cost neutral with player sales. What you can see year on year is a progression of the number and quality of talented players in the system. It is not a guarantee but Exeter City have made £10-£15 million with the sale of two academy players so there is also an aspect around investment risk/reward.
- Players sold in younger age groups to premier league clubs with defined EPPP compensation
- Currently only the ones who are obviously.
- I think I said season 25/26 but that may also depend on what division we are in.
- No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom