General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one isn't Water Eaton
But it mentions Stratfield Brake AND I quote from the article "
OXFORD United have been told there is no possibility of relocating to a new stadium near Kidlington

A meeting between key officers, council leaders, the club and supporters’ trust OxVox took place last month where Adrian Colwell, head of strategic planning and the economy for Cherwell District Council, explained the site at Water Eaton was ‘not viable’.

The same is true of another possible location at Stratfield Brake, near Kidlington".

Last edited:
I think overall it’s in a better location for fans. The kassam is on the outskirts of the county. With the train station right by the new stadium you have those direct routes from oxford, didcot, Bicester, Banbury, and little villages like Hanbrough etc. Got the park in ride. And literally near enough strait access from 4 main roads makes a good location. Does anyone no if this will be a Oxford United owned stadium or a Barkie and thoir stadium? Hoping we have a similar stadium arrangement like the stadium mk one

Don’t come then. You do realise football is outside?
it may be outside but in normal circumstances you don't have to put up with a wind tunnel and driving rain.

I can assure you as someone who travels in by train that standing in the cold and often pouring rain often for 20-30 minutes waiting for buses to show up is not a pleasant experience. then when 3/4 turn up almost at same time you're packed in like sardines often without a seat stopping virtual every 2 minutes as you tour Oxford on the way back to the train station.

Be advised it's even worse when you're with children.

I think overall it’s in a better location for fans. The kassam is on the outskirts of the county. With the train station right by the new stadium you have those direct routes from oxford, didcot, Bicester, Banbury, and little villages like Hanbrough etc. Got the park in ride. And literally near enough strait access from 4 main roads makes a good location. Does anyone no if this will be a Oxford United owned stadium or a Barkie and thoir stadium? Hoping we have a similar stadium arrangement like the stadium mk one
I think it's been reported before that Nial McWilliams has been pushing quite hard for a community owned asset?

Exciting news.
A few thoughts from me this morning....
I wonder if there is room in the plan to accomodate OUWFC?
Will the training complex remain where it is?
Do the current football, rugby and cricket club users get a say in the plan and where do they fit in?
How will segregation work at Oxford Parkway and will there be a walkway built from the station?
There will obviously be staff and disabled car parking, but I wonder how much more will be available (or even needed).
Will changes to the local road network be part of any deal?
Lots to think about and probably loads more that has yet to be discussed.
Hopefully good times ahead.

Feeling a bit vindicated this morning after taking a bit of stick from other posters back in the day (which is why I stopped posting what I hoped were helpful nuggets of hope during the months of silence). The evidence M'Lud:

From 26th August 2019 on 'The Stadium that shall not be named' thread
would be intrigued to know the whereabouts of the 5 possible sites.
a quick look on google earth and there seems to be nowhere within the city unfortunately, unless the uni will suddenly let us build on one of their many parks haha.
so that leaves us being on the outskirts somewhere or stuck in the middle of nowhere.
i’m coming round to the idea of staying put if something sensible can be sorted with kassam.
push the stands closer to the pitch and build a safe standing 4th stand for home fans would be a start.
just hope everything possible is being done though as with the clock ticking something needs to happen otherwise we’re going nowhere as a club
And my reply of the same day
Stratfield Brake - that’s the front runner.

And my reply to 'Uptheus' from p.71 of the Consortium Takeover - News and Rumours thread on 26th August 2021
What size stadium (capacity) did you say it’ll be?
Wallop said:

Still - we've been repeatedly told categorically by @Victor1986 that we are staying at the Kassam which was based on his c.40 years working in stadium construction and redevelopment and @Essexyellows was also convinced we weren't moving so best we just ignore what's now in the public domain and work out how we get that fourth stand built on the current plot!

Also this nugget from a recently departed poster which I bookmarked:

ABSOLUTELY NOT A CHANCE it will be Stratfield Brake......there is a nature park there which will NOT be touched,there is NO parking....AT ALL. the only possible place around there would be Frieze farm which is supposed to be used as a golf course replacing NOGC when/if they build houses on it.....whichimo will not happen..........the football ground rumour next to the Park
way station was started by that great bufoon councillor Huspeth.........one great bit idiot.

edit......the thing i say will not happen is the golf course being reinvented on Frieze farm.......not the building of houses on the old course.

Not direct from Banbury, Radley or Didcot. Have to go into Oxford then change.

Can do the likes of Islip, T&H direct.

Is 18000 too big for us? 15000 feels more appropriate.

*Puts on tin hat*
Pre Covid and maybe in the future

If we got into the Championship, several teams could bring upto 4,000 to us. So if we had a decent ground, with decent facilities, 5,000 x 2 and 4,000 x 2 stands, am sure we could get better home support.

Different TOC’s run the different routes so may be difficult.

Chiltern run from Ox to Parkway and then onto BV then T&H etc.

GWR serve Banbury, the Cotswold line up to Worcester and Hereford which includes Hangborough Charlbury.

GWR also run stoppers to & From Didcot to Banbury which stop at Radley, Appleford, Culham , Tackley, Heyford, Combe and Kingsutton .

18,000 is the perfect capacity.

It is well known, sourcing the 1999 survey of Oxford fans made by FOUL (Thank you @SwissYellow for the stats today), that Cherwell District was where the largest proportion of our fans came from. Naturally this will have changed over the years, but with the large developments in areas such as Banbury & Bicester, tapping into these markets would be huge for Oxford United. With Journeys from Bicester taking 11 minutes and direct trains from Banbury taking 17, it is not out of the question that our weeknight attendances could see a real boost due to the increased connectivity alone.

I would also argue that for those in Witney, this would again be much more convenient - though I could see ratrunning through Cassington being an issue. By this time I believe the Eynsham Park & Ride will be in operation. If this is the case, I'd like to see matchday incentives (free/subsidised buses) from there to the ground or certainly Oxford Parkway.

For those to the south, from the Centre of Abingdon it is a 16 minute drive to the Kassam or 17 minute to Stratfield Brake. There's nothing in it. The same will be said for Didcot, though again for both there are potential incentives for train travel (Didcot easily, Abingdon via Radley). Both require a change, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility for matchdays to have special direct services.

I know for myself as a Thame resident that I would be going via H&T Parkway to games, even in the mornings where I'd travel into the city for a drink first. Given our previous partnerships with Chiltern, I'd imagine matchday tickets are not beyond the realms of possibility.

In terms of the capacity itself, lets give ourselves a conservative benchmark of a 10% increase across the season based on larger attendances due to connectivity. I know full well there are individuals who are not attending due to the ground; I'm not saying this is thousands but certainly a few hundred minimum. If we then add in a 'New Stadium Bounce' (which of course will be dependant on us not replicating our slide to the conference in the 2000's) of 20%, it is not ridiculous to assume that in League One we'd be looking at an average of 10-12k minimum attendances throughout the year. With the vision the club has, based on the investment they're making, I honestly believe we could pull home crowds of 12-14k regularly in the Championship, with away crowds ranging from 1.5-3.5k depending on how we allocate (probably looking at 3k each end & 6k on the sides).

My major suggestions to the club would come through making the site itself feeling like home. You don't want a soulless area with a car park around the ground; we need some actual bars/pubs. Yes you can build some into the ground, but we'll need something separate too. Maybe even build something onto the new Cricket/Rugby clubhouse? Then in addition, a food area with independent traders, maybe 7-8 different options in a small area, to give some good matchday food options outside of a burger and chips. Reading do this well.

On top of that, artwork, murals, statues, fan zones. All of these are important. Look, there's not going to be more than 18k at a game, but given that this is Oxfordshire's only real venue, not only are these important for match-day incomes and that real feeling of a 'home' in the modern era of Football, but it will also be important when it comes to maximising the potential for the ground outside of the season, with gigs and other events being a real potential.

Finally, and most importantly. This must not be held by a holding company outside of Oxford United itself. This must ALL be held under Oxford United; and every Oxford United fan should be writing to the club, the councils and so on to ensure this is the case. We do not want to end up in another Kassam situation. This is without a doubt the number one priority for any fan.

Feeling a bit vindicated this morning after taking a bit of stick from other posters back in the day (which is why I stopped posting what I hoped were helpful nuggets of hope during the months of silence). The evidence M'Lud:

From 26th August 2019 on 'The Stadium that shall not be named' thread

And my reply of the same day

And my reply to 'Uptheus' from p.71 of the Consortium Takeover - News and Rumours thread on 26th August 2021

Wallop said:

Still - we've been repeatedly told categorically by @Victor1986 that we are staying at the Kassam which was based on his c.40 years working in stadium construction and redevelopment and @Essexyellows was also convinced we weren't moving so best we just ignore what's now in the public domain and work out how we get that fourth stand built on the current plot!

Also this nugget from a recently departed poster which I bookmarked:
And will there be an apology or at the very least, an acknowledgement to all those who posted similar? Not a chance.

I live in North Abingdon and public transport links are awful! Only real option is to bus into city centre and then get another bus from city centre down the Cowley Road to Cowley Centre and then walk into Blackbird Leys.
Can't you just hop on the OX2 football special Bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom