General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finding faults because they exist, Bazzer.

You may choose to bury your head in the sand and pretend they're perfect but I see no benefit in that.
Suggest you go to w
One of the consultation meetings and lay it all bare at the feet of the project manager. He will tell you what they are doing and will alleviate any of your concerns.

So you agree that what the club are claiming they will do isn't feasible, then? There isn't a club in the country that has reduced car usage by even close to that figure.

And let's not get started on 'emissions'...

Ahhh, I thought we were going to have a proper debate on this subject. You haven't actually responded to any of my counter arguments - clearly because you're unable to.
What are the club claiming they will do? That they're 100% guaranteed to drop car travel by 90%? They've outlined the steps for improved infrastructure and the ideal targets to hit.

I see now that due to ideological differences this debate is pointless - you're going to claim anything to dismiss the suitability of the stadium, despite all the facts out there for the benefit of the county and environment. Might as well spend my time yelling at a wall.

Ahhh, I thought we were going to have a proper debate on this subject. You haven't actually responded to any of my counter arguments - clearly because you're unable to.
What are the club claiming they will do? That they're 100% guaranteed to drop car travel by 90%? They've outlined the steps for improved infrastructure and the ideal targets to hit.

I see now that due to ideological differences this debate is pointless - you're going to claim anything to dismiss the suitability of the stadium, despite all the facts out there for the benefit of the county and environment. Might as well spend my time yelling at a wall.
No you won’t get a proper debate. What was said that obviously to start with there will be issues but once we are up and running and we’ll itnto the swing of things with the season fans will see that the public transport will be a viable option ie petrol and time to get home being a lot quicker.

So you agree that what the club are claiming they will do isn't feasible, then? There isn't a club in the country that has reduced car usage by even close to that figure.

Have you looked at Brighton?
31,800 capacity and very little parking.
The public transport usage has increased massively.
Are you suggesting that public transport usage would not hugely increase in the new ground as opposed to the Kassam?

Have you looked at Brighton?
31,800 capacity and very little parking.
The public transport usage has increased massively.
Are you suggesting that public transport usage would not hugely increase in the new ground as opposed to the Kassam?
There was a news item about what Brighton have done and it’s very impressive and the ease of getting there and home a lot better than most places. Now if we can emulate that model that would be great but there will still be the moaners.

Ask the 70% that didn't vote if it was a waste of money !!! Should be ashamed of your self's spending all that money when people are suffering hardship and going without to feed there Kids ! That money could of gone to a local food bank !!!

Who's pretending that "these plans are flawless and detailed"? In my reply, I said they weren't detailed plans. You're using a strawman argument.

"What's the difference between that and just driving the extra couple of miles and parking at the stadium?" Unless you have a blue badge, or dedicated space because youare staff (perhaps), then you won't be able to.

The whole transport issue needs fans to take responsibility for improving things. I've already said I'll be taking the bus/train/game/train/bus as my travel for the day. You've made it clear in previous posts that you don't like the bus because other people are on there making noises. I can't understand that mindset, but I'm pretty hopeful that you are in a minority. Certainly among people I know, and have spoken to about transport, they're all looking forward to a much more connected stadium location. It's possible.

EDIT: I think you're the only person I've spoken to who seems to think the public transport options aren't very good at the Triangle, to the extent that people will just continue to use their cars. I honest;y can't think of anyone I've spoken to who isn't looking forward to leaving the car at home and using public transport.
It's interesting how everyone you know has a mentality completely different to the rest of the country.

88% of all journeys in UK last year were made by car, van or taxi. The TFL found that just 4% of people seriously consider alternatives, and in only 14% of journeys any thought at all was put into what mode of transport to use (aside from driving). Basically, people want to drive. All the practical data suggests this. Maybe the people you know are just particularly 'green'...?

Isn't 'improving things' entirely subjective, anyway?

And no, it isn't possible. 'Campaign for better transport' found that 43% of people in England travelled to home games using exclusively a car (either driving or sharing). They also found 34% of fans used the train, however, 19% of that 34% also used a car (driving or sharing) at some point in the journey.

It would be an absolute miracle if the club were able to turn all these travel trends around to meet the 90% 'no car' quota.

It won't happen.

It's interesting how everyone you know has a mentality completely different to the rest of the country.

88% of all journeys in UK last year were made by car, van or taxi. The TFL found that just 4% of people seriously consider alternatives, and in only 14% of journeys any thought at all was put into what mode of transport to use (aside from driving). Basically, people want to drive. All the practical data suggests this. Maybe the people you know are just particularly 'green'...?

And no, it isn't possible. 'Campaign for better transport' found that 43% of people in England travelled to home games using exclusively a car (either driving or sharing). They also found 34% of fans used the train, however, 19% of that 34% also used a car (driving or sharing) at some point in the journey.

It would be an absolute miracle if the club were able to turn all these travel trends around to meet the 90% 'no car' quota.

It won't happen.
Out of interest, what do you feel the positives of the stadium going ahead are?

People can use the empty park and rides if they want to drive.

Brighton have hardly any parking, Brentford have even less, loads more grounds which I can’t be bothered to type out are in very built up areas with no parking. The new ground will have more parking than most while being the second nearest to a train station and being on bus routes, plus the club will (most likely) run shuttles from various areas to the ground.

The more you post the more suspicious I get of you, no problem with a FOSB being on here but just do it honestly. Especially when you are posting nonsense.

It won't happen.
Not sure what relevance the first figures you've quoted have to how football fans will arrive at a stadium. I don't think the poeple I know are particularly "green", just that they can see how the new stadium location will make it much easier to take public transport.

I could say how interesting it is that you have a completely different mentality to the rest of the OUFC fanbase...

I remember you saying you've only taken the train twice to games in London. Have I got that right? I could introduce you to plenty of Oxford fans I know who would laugh in your face for calling them "green" they would never dream of driving to London for a game - train every time.

Do you have figures for journeys made in Oxford?

The stadium will be the 2nd closest to a tram/train/tube stop of all the 92 clubs, we're currently 2nd furthest. If you don't believe that will make a difference to how people arrive to the stadium, then I really don't know what to say to convince you.

As your figures show, well under half of people attending football matches (home games) travel exclusively by car. So the majority use some other form of transport. Location of the ground will have a big impact, in this case positively.

It won't happen.
But there clearly will be a big movement from car to public transport.
Surely you wouod agree that?

They also found 34% of fans used the train, however, 19% of that 34% also used a car (driving or sharing) at some point in the journey.

It won't happen.
If that is your criteria, then of course it won't - it would entail every fan living within walking distance of a train station.

While many will be able to readily use rail transport as an alternative, it's clear that the intention is for those that must (or chose to) drive, to use the existing (and under-used) parking sites and complete their journey by shuttle bus or on foot.

The point being spectacularly missed or avoided is that thousands of cars will not be clogging up the highways and byways (and grass verges and residential streets) of Kidlington and it's surrounds and neither will they be emitting CO² and other pollutants as they search for a space.

To argue anything other that that is either pedantic or ignorant - they're your hats, I'll leave you to choose which one you want to wear....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom