New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

If the plan is to be a top 30 club, is 16k enough long term though?

I wouldn't necessarily say we're a 'sleeping giant', but we're in a location where there aren't many, if any, 'big' clubs within a close proximity. If we get to a decent level (ie, the Championship), you may see a fair new match-goers, especially when the 'bigger' clubs come to town. Play decent football in those games and who knows, maybe a number of those become regulars, or bring their friends/family along to the next game.

If we stay in L1 16k is more than enough, we won't even get close to filling it most weeks. But if we progress under the right circumstances I think there's certainly potential for the fanbase, or at least match-going base, to increase considerably.

Just looking at it, there's only 1 stadium in the Championship this season that has an average attendance of below 16,000 so far (Rotherham).

If it becomes an issue at a future point it will be a very nice problem to have.

If the plan is to be a top 30 club, is 16k enough long term though?

I wouldn't necessarily say we're a 'sleeping giant', but we're in a location where there aren't many, if any, 'big' clubs within a close proximity. If we get to a decent level (ie, the Championship), you may see a fair new match-goers, especially when the 'bigger' clubs come to town. Play decent football in those games and who knows, maybe a number of those become regulars, or bring their friends/family along to the next game.

If we stay in L1 16k is more than enough, we won't even get close to filling it most weeks. But if we progress under the right circumstances I think there's certainly potential for the fanbase, or at least match-going base, to increase considerably.

Just looking at it, there's only 1 stadium in the Championship this season that has an average attendance of below 16,000 so far (Rotherham).
As others have said, it really isn't a problem for us right now and there's very little evidence it's about to become a problem. We must have had the same discussions back in the Kassam days but we've been sitting in a half empty stadium for over 20 years now. It's depressing and tinpot, the atmosphere is rubbish because of it.

I wouldn't want to be a Burnley, Middlesbrough, Hull, Cardiff type club which has great attendances in the Premier League (if we're ever lucky enough to get there) and then a half empty stadium when we drop back into the Championship.

A healthy bank of season ticket holders who are motivated by demand for their seats is better than a stadium full of daytrippers.

Have just submitted my supportive comments, as below, and have started sending WhatsApp message to friends and family to encourage them to respond too.

Let’s all do so over the coming days and make sure our voices are heard. Just a few sentences from you and those you know is all that’s needed - it’ll take minutes but will help to make a difference.

COYY.

“I strongly support this planning application. If a decision is taken to delay or not approve the application it will put at risk a club which brings a wide range of people across Oxfordshire (and beyond) together.

“The proposed development boasts uniquely excellent sustainable transport links which will mean that I, my family, and my friends will switch from driving to the Kassam stadium to using public transport. This will both reduce congestion on Oxfordshire’s roads and lower carbon use for a site which has commitments to improving biodiversity and providing a world-class, sustainable community facility for the people of Kidlington and Oxfordshire as a whole. It will also boost the regional economy and provide jobs and investment during difficult economic times.

“My two daughters are also very excited by this development and are particularly happy to see that both the women’s and men’s team will play at the same stadium, helping to promote equality and ensure associated health and wellbeing benefits.

“I urge you to approve this fantastic opportunity for the people of Oxfordshire.”

As others have said, it really isn't a problem for us right now and there's very little evidence it's about to become a problem. We must have had the same discussions back in the Kassam days but we've been sitting in a half empty stadium for over 20 years now. It's depressing and tinpot, the atmosphere is rubbish because of it.

I wouldn't want to be a Burnley, Middlesbrough, Hull, Cardiff type club which has great attendances in the Premier League (if we're ever lucky enough to get there) and then a half empty stadium when we drop back into the Championship.

A healthy bank of season ticket holders who are motivated by demand for their seats is better than a stadium full of daytrippers.
You'd think we would be aiming to be in the Championship by the time the stadium is built.

I get what you mean, it just seems a huge outlay for what is a fairly small stadium with very limited expansion capacity.

You'd think we would be aiming to be in the Championship by the time the stadium is built.

I get what you mean, it just seems a huge outlay for what is a fairly small stadium with very limited expansion capacity.
It was always going to be expensive. Land value alone in Oxfordshire is quite high (might be another reason behind the objections?)

Did you not get the memo?

In five years time convert the triangle stadium into an ice rink, and build a shiny new 30k stadium on Stratfield Brake.

Quite clearly it wouldn’t. Attending to some repairs in an existing, relatively new stadium wouldn’t be anywhere near as much as buying the land, infrastructure and building a new place.

The alternative is a stadium that will cost twice as much as Brentford’s, and be half the size of it. The ‘fresh start’ as you put it would be saddling ourselves with even more eye-watering levels of unaffordable debt.

We’ve left things too late to have worked out a proper Plan B. I’ve got no desire to stay at the Ka$$am not line his pockets further.

But we haven’t sorted out whose magic money tree is going to yield £150M for a lower league club to get a shiny new stadium.

The closest thing to a Plan B is to stay where we are and slowly redevelop the place at our own pace and in a sustainable manner based on our income, debt levels and league position.

On this, I reluctantly agree but it doesn’t mean I can’t see the huge risks involved.
"he alternative is a stadium that will cost twice as much as Brentford’s, and be half the size of it." - the capacity of the Brentford Community Stadium is 17,250. Land size 12 acres v 8 acres for BCS.

It was always going to be expensive. Land value alone in Oxfordshire is quite high (might be another reason behind the objections?)
Surely land value in Brentford is more though? I know Brentford's stadium is built on about 4 acres less of land but I would've thought land in that part of London must be insane prices.

They got a bigger stadium in a prime London location for half the cost (I'm obviously not a developer though so maybe there's a reason ours is so much more?)

Surely land value in Brentford is more though? I know Brentford's stadium is built on about 4 acres less of land but I would've thought land in that part of London must be insane prices.

They got a bigger stadium in a prime London location for half the cost (I'm obviously not a developer though so maybe there's a reason ours is so much more?)

Is Oxford a lot cheaper than Brentford?

The stadium has more seats but the land itself is smaller. They also started the ground before inflation sent everything crazy.

I suspect there’s a whole host of things at play:

- Building materials have rocketed in cost since COVID and remain very high,

- The specification of the stadiums will differ and ours seems to be very high, with particular focus on sustainable materials and energy. None of that comes cheap.

- Ours has a hotel. I don’t believe theirs does.

- The s106 contributions will be different.

I’m sure there’s loads more that could help explain the delta.

I suspect there’s a whole host of things at play:

- Building materials have rocketed in cost since COVID and remain very high,

- The specification of the stadiums will differ and ours seems to be very high, with particular focus on sustainable materials and energy. None of that comes cheap.

- Ours has a hotel. I don’t believe theirs does.

- The s106 contributions will be different.

I’m sure there’s loads more that could help explain the delta.
They didn't have to buy 650 armitage shanks toilets 🤣🤣

Having just skimmed through the supportive comments on the planning application, nobody has yet mentioned the the fact that OUFC will be paying for the Stratfiels Brake sports pitches to be upgraded. I will certainly mention it when I get round to my submission this weekend.

Having just skimmed through the supportive comments on the planning application, nobody has yet mentioned the the fact that OUFC will be paying for the Stratfiels Brake sports pitches to be upgraded. I will certainly mention it when I get round to my submission this weekend.

One did, from a supportive Kidlington resident.

Back
Top Bottom