Ref Watch SAFC V OUFC LEAGUE 1 2/4/2021 Trevor Kettle

How did todays referee fare

Votes: 12 14.6%

Votes: 2 2.4%

Votes: 57 69.5%

Votes: 11 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Henry is breaking forwards in acres of space in the Sunderland half. Their player attempts bring him down with a cynical hack, no attempt to get the ball. The ref waves play on (rightly) as we break forwards - but then doesn’t book the Sunderland player.

Later, James Henry swipes at a Sunderland player - doesn’t make contract, the game ISNT stopped for it (so the ref effectively plays on) and then, when the game does stop, he books Henry.

Where’s the consistency???

Oh, and he books Sykes (first one) for a challenge which isn’t even a foul. After a supposed totting up procedure of a few light fouls which no-one cares about.

Oh, and then Shodipo is fouled 4-5 times, maybe 2-3 of them are free kicks, 2-3 aren’t - he gives Oxford literally none. Not one.

And then I can’t even be bothered to go into the whole Brannigan injury thing, except 1. He didn’t allow play to go on in a similar situation earlier in the game - WHERES THE CONSISTENCY? and 2. The free kick was taken miles away from where the foul happened, giving Sunderland a clear advantage - WHICH ISNT ALLOWED

I won't give him a 1 or even 2. Those options are for THOSE refs, THOSE performances. Mike Read vs Chelsea performances. The ones where you punch a pillow and have to go outside for a calm down. He wasn't THAT bad.
The above was from the James Oldham Ref Watch.
Know you know what I mean about the refs who deserve a 1 or 2.

Where to start? It'll be stream of consciousness stuff I guess...

Sykes. Daft lad! Kettle even did the "one over there, another over here, last warning" skit and Skyes just couldn't resist biting at that challenge, in their half with the ball going back to the keeper. That said, is it really ANY foul from now on and it's a yellow? For me you need a bit more. The red card though was easy to give, two-footed, not even in the same postcode in terms of lateness.

The free-kick leading to the 2-1. I'll try and analyse it. Number one I don't even think that's a free kick to anyone...simple coming together. Brannagan looks at the ref, ref walks past him, Brannagan goes to ground as or just after the kick is taken from the wrong place, ref then looks back and sees CB yet still allows play to carry on. After the goal, KR is sent to the stands. Can you handle that better? Can you allow a second extra to see if the man on the floor is OK? Certainly you can. In terms of referee "craft" it's right down at the bottom of the pile.

First half, three minutes injury time (though they scored in the first minute of it). I can't recall any stoppages apart from Kettle doing his "come over here for a word" thing, so it's a bit bizarre to let the game go longer. Then 5 minutes after 7 subs in the second half in total, and the KR incident?

Other than that, clearly unfit and nowhere near play, a heavy footed plodder with a dictator complex.

I'm not a fan, it's fair to say.

The above was from the James Oldham Ref Watch.
Know you know what I mean about the refs who deserve a 1 or 2.

Where to start? It'll be stream of consciousness stuff I guess...

Sykes. Daft lad! Kettle even did the "one over there, another over here, last warning" skit and Skyes just couldn't resist biting at that challenge, in their half with the ball going back to the keeper. That said, is it really ANY foul from now on and it's a yellow? For me you need a bit more. The red card though was easy to give, two-footed, not even in the same postcode in terms of lateness.

The free-kick leading to the 2-1. I'll try and analyse it. Number one I don't even think that's a free kick to anyone...simple coming together. Brannagan looks at the ref, ref walks past him, Brannagan goes to ground as or just after the kick is taken from the wrong place, ref then looks back and sees CB yet still allows play to carry on. After the goal, KR is sent to the stands. Can you handle that better? Can you allow a second extra to see if the man on the floor is OK? Certainly you can. In terms of referee "craft" it's right down at the bottom of the pile.

First half, three minutes injury time (though they scored in the first minute of it). I can't recall any stoppages apart from Kettle doing his "come over here for a word" thing, so it's a bit bizarre to let the game go longer. Then 5 minutes after 7 subs in the second half in total, and the KR incident?

Other than that, clearly unfit and nowhere near play, a heavy footed plodder with a dictator complex.

I'm not a fan, it's fair to say.
See my new option.

Henry is breaking forwards in acres of space in the Sunderland half. Their player attempts bring him down with a cynical hack, no attempt to get the ball. The ref waves play on (rightly) as we break forwards - but then doesn’t book the Sunderland player.

Later, James Henry swipes at a Sunderland player - doesn’t make contract, the game ISNT stopped for it (so the ref effectively plays on) and then, when the game does stop, he books Henry.

Where’s the consistency???

Oh, and he books Sykes (first one) for a challenge which isn’t even a foul. After a supposed totting up procedure of a few light fouls which no-one cares about.

Oh, and then Shodipo is fouled 4-5 times, maybe 2-3 of them are free kicks, 2-3 aren’t - he gives Oxford literally none. Not one.

And then I can’t even be bothered to go into the whole Brannigan injury thing, except 1. He didn’t allow play to go on in a similar situation earlier in the game - WHERES THE CONSISTENCY? and 2. The free kick was taken miles away from where the foul happened, giving Sunderland a clear advantage - WHICH ISNT ALLOWED
On the Brannagan incident too, I don't know if this is overanalysing it but he looks like he's holding his head. I thought refs were under a specific duty this season to stop the game for suspected head injuries? At the very least, he should have checked to make sure it wasn't a head injury, right?

Just particularly grates because I can recall a couple of times this season when we've had a promising attack pulled back because one of the opposition players has stayed down holding their face.

I had hope he might not have an over bearing influence on the game.

He did,I was wrong..... -1 from me.

Inconsistent, incompetent and hates us.

We all knew this would happen before the game even started, why are we so shocked. As some one has already said, how does He keep getting games to officiate?, what do the assessors see that we don’t, surely they are as much to blame as the F.A. Also, there are referees on this forum, what are their views on him (we all know they are special kind of people).

Back
Top Bottom