National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

I would be curious, if someone did a Poll on here today, and asked if there was a referendum/vote on Brexit (remain/leave) today, what the result would be?
Believe me nobody has changed their minds, everyone has become entrenched in their views. You'd have 21% Brexit, 20% Remain, 59% not bother to vote, much like the original vote (adjust the not voting percentage as needed, don't know the actual figure) .

(IMO)

Believe me nobody has changed their minds, everyone has become entrenched in their views. You'd have 21% Brexit, 20% Remain, 59% not bother to vote, much like the original vote.

(IMO)

Totally agree.

Believe me nobody has changed their minds, everyone has become entrenched in their views. You'd have 21% Brexit, 20% Remain, 59% not bother to vote, much like the original vote (adjust the not voting percentage as needed, don't know the actual figure) .

(IMO)
You’d have a massive fight and a load of aggressive men leering ‘you lost get over it’. So let’s not.

About right.
39f2d9dad2c73a073bd3a886945c8cea.jpg

Do me a favour coming over all woke all of a sudden. My heart's bleeding too much.

None of these issues were caused by the EU (just mercenary employers throughout the supply chain) and all could have been addressed via legislation if our government had the balls to enforce it's sovereignty!
Yeah....but it's easier to blame the consumer/state/EU/UN, than it is the unscrupulous employers who have exploited often vulnerable and desperate individuals....

(IMO)
I dont know, little all the people I know have changed their minds after seeing some of the impacts.

Do me a favour coming over all woke all of a sudden. My heart's bleeding too much.

None of these issues were caused by the EU (just mercenary employers throughout the supply chain) and all could have been addressed via legislation if our government had the balls to enforce it's sovereignty!

Rather easier to mend the tap when the water is turned off is it not?
Water = supply of migrant labour thanks to FOM.
Tap = Mercenary employers.
Repair = Mercenary employers found lacking and exposed to high risk/failure.

We (successive governments) should have enforced a robust visa/work permit system and allowed in who we wanted, unfortunately the EU doesn`t like that.

"The freedom of movement is one of the foundations of the European Union, and many EU citizens and UK nationals moved abroad to live, work or study, back when the UK was a Member State of the EU.

Protecting those who moved abroad has been the first priority from the beginning of the negotiations.

• More than 5 million EU citizens were granted a new residence status in the UK (most come from Poland, Romania, Italy, Portugal, Spain and Bulgaria).
  • EU Member States currently estimate that there are more than 1,060,000 UK nationals residing in the EU (most in Spain, France, Ireland, Germany and the Netherlands).
Source: https://ec.europa.eu/info/relations-united-kingdom/eu-uk-withdrawal-agreement/citizens-rights_en

Rather easier to mend the tap when the water is turned off is it not?
Water = supply of migrant labour thanks to FOM.
Tap = Mercenary employers.
Repair = Mercenary employers found lacking and exposed to high risk/failure.

We (successive governments) should have enforced a robust visa/work permit system and allowed in who we wanted, unfortunately the EU doesn`t like that.

"The freedom of movement is one of the foundations of the European Union, and many EU citizens and UK nationals moved abroad to live, work or study, back when the UK was a Member State of the EU.

Protecting those who moved abroad has been the first priority from the beginning of the negotiations.

• More than 5 million EU citizens were granted a new residence status in the UK (most come from Poland, Romania, Italy, Portugal, Spain and Bulgaria).
  • EU Member States currently estimate that there are more than 1,060,000 UK nationals residing in the EU (most in Spain, France, Ireland, Germany and the Netherlands).
Source: https://ec.europa.eu/info/relations-united-kingdom/eu-uk-withdrawal-agreement/citizens-rights_en

You're assuming the Govt want to repair the tap....

Yeah let's get the caravans back out of storage shall we. £3 an hour is fine once the gangmaster takes his cut 👍

The left doesn't have a monopoly on decency.

a
Yeah let's get the caravans back out of storage shall we. £3 an hour is fine once the gangmaster takes his cut 👍

The left doesn't have a monopoly on decency.
TBH I think this sort of exploitation is more likely outside the EU, if we were importing workers from South Asia or wherever to fill staff shortages. Either way it doesn't seem a Brexit-related issues

a
TBH I think this sort of exploitation is more likely outside the EU, if we were importing workers from South Asia or wherever to fill staff shortages. Either way it doesn't seem a Brexit-related issues
I wish you were right. Unfortunately the below details some of the slavery which still happens in the UK:

Hopefully if we can now escape the race to the bottom and have the public pay a fair price for food, we can avoid having to tap into an endless supply of cheap labour bussed in from the other side of the continent!

You're assuming the Govt want to repair the tap....

I would hope rather than assume.
If the Government ensures the water is turned off, all the parts are ordered & the plumber is in place that is over half the battle.
The assumption would be that HMG know the tap is leaking..............

Interesting take.

Loved this line..

'Even as a new generation of Tory boys lay posies at the shrine of a woman they never knew, Thatcherism itself is dying.'

Doesn't appear to be behind a paywall.

Good read that. And not necessarily a bad thing that the path being taken is pulling in policy and thought from both Left & Right.
It`s also good for those who sit "somewhere in the middle" of politics commonly known as "most of us".
Despite it being shouted from the rooftops not everyone who voted for Brexit was a raging nationalistic, xenophobic racist.

Having a centralist government by planning or accident could cement the Tories in for decades. Winner, winner, local chicken dinner.

Good read that. And not necessarily a bad thing that the path being taken is pulling in policy and thought from both Left & Right.
It`s also good for those who sit "somewhere in the middle" of politics commonly known as "most of us".
Despite it being shouted from the rooftops not everyone who voted for Brexit was a raging nationalistic, xenophobic racist.

Having a centralist government by planning or accident could cement the Tories in for decades. Winner, winner, local chicken dinner.
The flaw in the left-wing vision of Brexit is they don't appear to have factored in the ageing workforce and so a double whammy on the supply of labour. Initially great for those with sought-after skills who receive a boost in their wages, but with a near across the board labour shortage where does this end? We'll end up making many employees millionaires but have chronic inflation and wide spread shortaged of supplies.

The flaw in the left-wing vision of Brexit is they don't appear to have factored in the ageing workforce and so a double whammy on the supply of labour. Initially great for those with sought-after skills who receive a boost in their wages, but with a near across the board labour shortage where does this end? We'll end up making many employees millionaires but have chronic inflation and wide spread shortaged of supplies.

Who thought having high employment, rather than high unemployment, would create problems?
Simple fix - allow migration/movement the same way as many other non-EU countries do on a skills/points-based system.

And throw in a bit of Workfare for the able-idle.

So just to be clear the brexit voters were voting because they are morally conscious (ie left wing) and wanted all foreign labour out of the country to teach those British exploitative employees a lesson.

And they were happy to accept food shortages and higher cost of living to show their moral support for these poor exploited foreigners.

I mean...thats utter B*****s isn't it

So just to be clear the brexit voters were voting because they are morally conscious (ie left wing) and wanted all foreign labour out of the country to teach those British exploitative employees a lesson.

And they were happy to accept food shortages and higher cost of living to show their moral support for these poor exploited foreigners.
While simultaneously supporting a right wing domestic government and deriding the very idea of a left of centre one that stands for these same sorts of values, yes.

This is all very simple. I don’t understand why you’re so confused. It’s not like the goalposts are being moved so frantically that they’re spinning around on the spot while everybody pushing them stands there vomiting down themselves.

Back
Top Bottom