Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
The matches seem to be coming thick and fast now.

At time of writing this post, the weather is set to be a warm 12oC!

We tried to press pboro high and they played through us with relative ease leaving us stretched. Their defence was really good. Think we should have sat back and tried to hit them on the counter.

I recall them having a few good chances when they drew us into their defence and hit us on the break. I think a goal game from that where 2-3 balls cut us open.

Des Buckingham would not have been my choice for manager however I have to say that I don’t think anyone could sort out the problems we have overnight.
It is obvious to me that when teams who can press us and do it well , we have no escape route. We tap it around and sooner or later a long ball is played hoping to find Harris who is outnumbered
The other way to stop us is to outmuscle us which is what Cambridge Cheltenham Wigan did.
Hopefully Des Buckingham can put things right we desperately need some more players in with some physicality like Leigh
We desperately need this in midfield and up front because that would give us more options
Been the same for the last few years the opposition press high and we have no plan B to counter it.

We tried to press pboro high and they played through us with relative ease leaving us stretched. Their defence was really good. Think we should have sat back and tried to hit them on the counter.
I'm not sure we did try to press them high, at least not collectively or consistently. Individuals at times for sure but that was part of the issue.

I recall them having a few good chances when they drew us into their defence and hit us on the break. I think a goal game from that where 2-3 balls cut us open.
Our defence was shocking.
Thorniley looks awful, what's happened to him? He doesn't look like a league one player.
Moore wins a lot in the air and blocks well but he is so slow and it was exposed. The first goal came from him losing the ball by trying to take them on just inside their half. They then countered quickly and we were wide open. Brown was the only one who came out with any credit. Mcguane and Cam didn't help much either. Posh never gave them any peace!!
Mills was hopeless and I gave up on Harris weeks ago.
That was 6-0 without Beadle even though he made a mistake for one of their goals.
The only outfield positive for me was Murphy, the only threat we had and it pushed them back a bit.
Bennett in for Thorniley on Tuesday and Brown back to the middle. TBF that was a good sub by DB .

Ronnie Edwards is destined for higher things, and everyone knows it.

But Peterborough are doing what we never seem to do - hold out for their price.
The last two windows they've had offers from the leagues above, but the money's not been good enough (supposedly, they've 'only' been offered £4m) so they've kept him. Imagine they'll do the dance again in January, but won't sell unless they get £5m+.

Every time we sell one of our CBs for £1-2m the first time a Championship club comes calling, we always hear justification along the lines of "We won't be able to keep attracting young players if we stop our players from moving up" or "The player won't be fully committed if we stand in the way of his progress".

And yet those arguments never seem to apply to Peterborough.......

(Yes, I'm still bitter at Dickie, Atkinson and McNally leaving for a comparative pittance)

I don't know, but there was a lot of (very deserved) booing from the travelling support at half time yesterday. Don't know about full time, I made a dash for the car park when the third went in.

I can't say how much was directed at the manager specifically though. He'd put what looked like a strong enough team out and they simply didn't perform to an acceptable standard, so it was at least as much at the players.
Same here with the booing and departure. It's not good to hear but, the performance was just not entertaining for supporters. Too many wayward passes, too many errors and too many times shown what an active and speedy press can achieve.

Seems like Buckingham has been very respectful of Manning and what he has put together, but it has more of a caretaker vibe at the minute.

In the next 4 games, would like to see Buckingham put his mark on things with our style and how we create. I realise with injuries we are limited, but I would like to now see how a Buckingham team looks rather than one that is just running of memories of how the last dude did it.

On a side note, 9 goals now for Joe Taylor off 8.3xG in a poor team - all goals in the penalty box.

Would also throw Gassan Ahadme in the mix. A stylistic alternative to what we have - string in the air, get through the work up front and is one of the best pressing forwards in the league and has some of the best numbers for regains in the final 3rd.

Our defence was shocking.
Thorniley looks awful, what's happened to him? He doesn't look like a league one player.
Moore wins a lot in the air and blocks well but he is so slow and it was exposed. The first goal came from him losing the ball by trying to take them on just inside their half. They then countered quickly and we were wide open. Brown was the only one who came out with any credit. Mcguane and Cam didn't help much either. Posh never gave them any peace!!
Mills was hopeless and I gave up on Harris weeks ago.
That was 6-0 without Beadle even though he made a mistake for one of their goals.
The only outfield positive for me was Murphy, the only threat we had and it pushed them back a bit.
Bennett in for Thorniley on Tuesday and Brown back to the middle. TBF that was a good sub by DB .
Murphy to start is a must. And, despite being a good substitution, Bennett for Thorniley should have come at half time too.

I couldn't believe what Thorniley was doing (passing to his right), every single time. It was terrible to watch, utterly useless, weak and seemed to put us in trouble so many times. Was the plan to always get it out to the right, across the goal face? Kept being pounced on and targeted by the fast Peterborough players and clearly needed changing.

Had a chance to listen to DB's post match interview on Radox. What struck me, over the sanitized version on iFollow, is the similarity with Appletons statements post that Cambridge game when we lost, on TV, and played badly. A threshold has been crossed and he is going to make changes and, in his own words, put his stamp on things.
Obviously, squad restrictions will not allow for wholesale change but, I can see things happening on Tuesday that will, maybe, show intent. Certainly, plans will be ready for January and, with a budget from the board, a number of new faces should appear. (and others will leave)

I would like to think that the gloves are off and, at least behind closed doors, some players will be updating their C.V.s.

Consistently fail to find one? I guess it depends how far back you are defining consistently as, as until Matty Taylor started firing blanks last season we had one!

And before that? Beano?

Matty Taylor was f**king class. Love the guy. But he's the exception that proves the rule.

It's not an allowance of one striker per generation. You can have one every season!

Blackpool, one of our promotion rivals (and much like Peterborough, a club that regularly achieves it) scored just 2 goals in their first 5 League games this season. So they identified the loan availability of one of the most prolific strikers the 3rd tier has ever seen, signed him - and lo and behold he's gone on to score 13 (thirteen) goals in 16 starts.

And yet we're still saying 'we had Matty Taylor' - as if we're being greedy for thinking he could be replaced...

I get that Dez said he “ assumed” we were playing well, hence our second place position. So he didn’t want to upset anything. Now you can see he was totally pissed off and he will do it his way. Fortunately we have reached the time in the season where in theory we should get a few positive results. I for one reckon he will turn it around, so hopefully three wins before Christmas should allow him to get them into his system. Saying that, I think I’ll give the forum a miss on Tuesday night and Wednesdayif we don’t take all three points.

And before that? Beano?

Matty Taylor was f**king class. Love the guy. But he's the exception that proves the rule.

It's not an allowance of one striker per generation. You can have one every season!

Blackpool, one of our promotion rivals (and much like Peterborough, a club that regularly achieves it) scored just 2 goals in their first 5 League games this season. So they identified the loan availability of one of the most prolific strikers the 3rd tier has ever seen, signed him - and lo and behold he's gone on to score 13 (thirteen) goals in 16 starts.

And yet we're still saying 'we had Matty Taylor' - as if we're being greedy for thinking he could be replaced...

Poor. Make a statement, it gets pointed out that it may not be entirely accurate and then move the goal posts. Since Beano we have had Roofe who was not too shabby too by the way. Hylton got few too although not as prolific as Taylor! What have the Romans ever done for us hey!

Nothing's working right now, Harris is useless, we don't have enough quality in wide areas, and we don't control the ball enough in the middle of the pitch.

It's pretty obvious we need to change something, with a bit of out of the box thinking.

So f**k it, try this:

View attachment 17085
I think Smyth would need to do a bit more yet, before he takes the shirt off Stevens.
McGaune and Brannagan infront of Mceachran.
Murphy and Harris on the outside of Rodrigues.
As it stands,I think he’d be the only one presently at the club who could provide that pivot until January.

Last edited:
The 2 games Craig Short took care of not only did we score 8 goals and win both, there felt like there was a togetherness with the whole team and coaching team.

I thought the new man was going to come in and give the whole place a real lift but it seems to have had the opposite affect.
Short's been doing much of the heavy lifting while Des gets used to his new surroundings, so that's not really it. Des has been standing around with his hands in his pockets trying to figure out how to be useful as his remit was for more of the same. Of course, his question would have been 'same of what?'

Not been allowed to put his stamp on things but sounds like that's changing now. Hard to judge him given we're trying to maintain the LM way. You'd like to think we'd have performed better under Manning but we'd put in a couple of concerning performances before he left. Add in an injured Leigh, Long, Edwards et al and a distracted Cam and we'd have been perfectly capable of putting in the same performance under LM as we did yesterday.

My concern has been the players' reactions and body language. They look they've been collectively dumped by their partners and their heads have gone. Not convinced Des is the man to light a fire up them, but they shouldn't really need it; they've proved they're good enough for a promotion push at the start of the season, and need to start believing it.

Goes without saying, but Tuesday's massive.

Short's been doing much of the heavy lifting while Des gets used to his new surroundings, so that's not really it. Des has been standing around with his hands in his pockets trying to figure out how to be useful as his remit was for more of the same. Of course, his question would have been 'same of what?'

Not been allowed to put his stamp on things but sounds like that's changing now. Hard to judge him given we're trying to maintain the LM way. You'd like to think we'd have performed better under Manning but we'd put in a couple of concerning performances before he left. Add in an injured Leigh, Long, Edwards et al and a distracted Cam and we'd have been perfectly capable of putting in the same performance under LM as we did yesterday.

My concern has been the players' reactions and body language. They look they've been collectively dumped by their partners and their heads have gone. Not convinced Des is the man to light a fire up them, but they shouldn't really need it; they've proved they're good enough for a promotion push at the start of the season, and need to start believing it.

Goes without saying, but Tuesday's massive.

Des not having an assistant to bring in with him from day one was a mistake. The whole point of a manager going in to a job is to put their stamp on the squad and keep the players on their toes to perform. It seems to me it's been way too laid back and the players have got away with underperforming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom