Home Match Build Up 13/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Wigan Athletic

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It isn’t the defence. Our pressure on the ball from the front thru to the midfield line is substandard. Always 2nd to unclaimed possession.

Hopefully the introduction of a defensive midfielder in Matete will sort that out. The defensive side of the game has been largely neglected for a good few seasons now

It isn’t the defence. Our pressure on the ball from the front thru to the midfield line is substandard. Always 2nd to unclaimed possession.
You're correct defending isn't just about the back four and goalkeeper.
In the modern game defending starts with the forward players through midfield to the defence.
The team doesn't seem to be coached to become a compact unit out of possession. That then leads to gaps that are exploited by the opposition.
How many cheap goals have we conceded this since the start of Buckingham's tenure.
We need to be better defensively out of possession.

Defending also involves keeping the ball and not hoofing it all the time. I dont know what the stats are for or long passes, but it seems that we're often losing the ball, especially after long goal kicks.
I'm almost starting to miss the passing round the back!

View attachment 17793

I would start Matete at the base of the middle three with Brannagan and Rodrigues playing further forward. Burey and Murphy both starting to have pace off both wings from the off.

Dale and Bennett to come into the bench at the absence of Henry and Bodin to provide better balance.
No way should Bodin be left out of the squad in my opinion, until his injury, he was having his best season for us, even if he did miss an absolute sitter yesterday!

All of a sudden, it's a struggle to pick the squad, but for all the right reasons!

No way should Bodin be left out of the squad in my opinion, until his injury, he was having his best season for us, even if he did miss an absolute sitter yesterday!

All of a sudden, it's a struggle to pick the squad, but for all the right reasons!
I’d definitely have Bodin on the bench at least. He does miss a few but he’s scored some this season that others wouldn’t have got.

No deal for Bodin ,time for a change. Murphy as well sadly ,Burey looks a good replacement, Edwards hopefully in as well if he proves his fitness to replace Browne ,Henry to go ,

Who would give Bodin a new deal next season?
No way, if we're serious about building a squad that's good enough for promotion and being sustainable in the Championship.
He needs to go along with Browne, Murphy, Henry, Eastwood, Thorniley, and Edwards.
Injury prone or aging players that aren't going to be conducive to us getting out of this league.

No way, if we're serious about building a squad that's good enough for promotion and being sustainable in the Championship.
He needs to go along with Browne, Murphy, Henry, Eastwood, Thorniley, and Edwards.
Injury prone or aging players that aren't going to be conducive to us getting out of this league.
Bodin is still contributing a lot, and although his game time may need to be managed, his quality and experience could be invaluable for the rest of this season, and next.

I've always said, there's always room in the squad for one, maybe two of these kinds of players, just not half the bloody squad, as we've become so accustom to in recent years!

Back
Top Bottom