Home Match Day Thread 13/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Wigan Athletic

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Brannagan's goal was fortunate, but he was pretty unlucky with the shot that hit the cross bar.
Goodrham was a little unlucky to hit the post, but Rodrigues followed up, and the 4th to me looked a great shot by Tyler.
'Very fortunate goals" is incredibly harsh in my view
Again that Brannagan shot was from range, good strike mind. Did we really open them up tonight or connect with a cross? Most didn’t get past the first man. That’s all I’m saying. Not great as the home side vying for promotion against a mid table team. We’ve still conceded 2 at home and the first was just diabolical. On another day Brannagan’s deflects for a corner and Goodrham puts one wide and the best we get is a draw. That’s the game we’re playing. I don’t think we could’ve argued with a 2-2 tonight. I felt we were fortunate. Very fortunate to go in at 1-1. But you know what, a win is a win, I’d just like to see us do more with the ball than we do under Des. It’s one dimensional and hopeful. I didn’t see a lot different tonight to previous games where we dropped points, the ball just fell nicely for us today and we had a bit of individual quality when it was needed.

The 4th was a good strike but also deflected and judging by a furious keeper on both deflected goals, he would’ve got something on both.

See what Saturday brings but hopefully with confidence from a win we’ll see a good performance.

Long very impressive second half
I’d say adequate 2nd half, he looked very impressive compared to the first half though. I have rarely seen such a poor first half performance from an OUFC right back.

I couldn’t work out if Dale wasn’t helping Sam enough, or if he was over compensating for him, either way his own performance was also affected, as between the two of them there was absolutely no cohesion or tactical idea, and the Wigan game plan of targeting that area of the pitch at every opportunity was so obviously clear to see. Dale certainly looked much better against Reading, so the ability is there, but he’s not a speed merchant winger that’s for sure.

To be fair to Sam he kept his head up and was determined to do a lot better after the break, which he did with a much better showing. Maybe that was down to the substitution and the tactical switch. He also still looks to be lacking match sharpness in his defence too, but we badly need a much better option next season.

Score line flattered us, but a win is a win.

Our passing in the first half was poor.

Wigan did their homework and targeted our right hand side, they’re not the first team to do this. Long couldn’t cope with the Wigan wingback - Jones in the first half. Switching Murphy to our right hand side after the break meant Jones was pushed back and was eventually subbed. Having said that, Murphy himself looked more dangerous and comfortable on the left.

The strong bench enabled us to get over the line.

Performances between now and the end of the season need to improve if we are going to make the playoffs. We’re still in the mix though, so all to play for.

Harris is a real team player.
Moore took a knock and was holding his hip in the second half, hopefully it’s not an issue.
Matete looked very rusty, but he a good player and will improve.
Leigh helped with both Murphy and Goodrham’s goals by overlapping and taking a couple of defenders with him, he won’t get an assist but it’s good unselfish team play.
McGuane needs a test/ break for a game or two.
Disappointing that Goodwin didn’t feature.

Overall a very enjoyable 2nd 45 minutes, the first half was truly abysmal, aside from Brannagan’s rocket against the post and Murphy’s excellent finish.

Great to get back to winning ways and see some goals. I was slightly disappointed with us after our 2nd goal, as we didn’t seem to really press home the advantage and take the game by the scruff of the neck as we should have done, but how the substitutions made a difference. Having game changing options and some genuine quality to come off the bench was like a breath of fresh air, after months and months of next to nothing.

We still need to string together performances where both halves are of the same high quality, rather than just either the first or second 45 minutes. Let’s hope this is the springboard to start doing that. Well done lads, onwards and upwards.

The best thing about our shape today was that we kept looking for goals. We are lethal counterattacking side with our best players available. I’m not convinced we had a plan , apart from ‘do them on the break’. I guess it’s not the worst.

McGuane didn’t look fit again, and I’m surprised he rarely gets hooked. Moore also laboured tonight, is he carrying an injury as well?

Impressed with Sam Long turning it round in second half, this may have been because Murphy (!) offered far more defensive cover than ‘Jim’ Dale, whose performance was a right old Carry On.

What can you say about the League One Messi, how much has Tyler G Improved? Goal 4 was sensational finish.

Now, can we do it on a cold afternoon next to a trading estate?

Lovely result.

I'm sure mentioned elsewhere but abysmal 1st half, bar Cam Bran hitting the post and Josh Murphy's goal. We were lucky to go in level.

2nd half much better. Ty Goodrham was the catalyst for the change in performance, imo, as he gave Sean Clare a hard time forcing him back.

Nice to get the bounce of the ball in this game with 2 deflections in and a rebound off the post. There is also their hitting the post and then it bouncing off Cumming for a corner but that cancels out Cam Bran's hitting the post.

As an aside, nice for the RadOx commentary team to channel Nick Harris tonight by calling Wigan Blackpool instead a few times and Billy Bodin being called Paul Bodin.

Dale & Matete certainly looked like they needed those minutes.

Both very poor.
Not sure if Dale’s the type of player who likes to receive the ball with his back to play. Just saying this as most of the balls that were played to him tonight were played to him like this e.g. with his back to play (mainly by Long who as most people have already said had a poor first half), which obviously didn’t help Dale’s case and put him under pressure with not a lot of room to work within, hence him losing the ball a lot.

Again that Brannagan shot was from range, good strike mind. Did we really open them up tonight or connect with a cross? Most didn’t get past the first man. That’s all I’m saying. Not great as the home side vying for promotion against a mid table team. We’ve still conceded 2 at home and the first was just diabolical. On another day Brannagan’s deflects for a corner and Goodrham puts one wide and the best we get is a draw. That’s the game we’re playing. I don’t think we could’ve argued with a 2-2 tonight. I felt we were fortunate. Very fortunate to go in at 1-1. But you know what, a win is a win, I’d just like to see us do more with the ball than we do under Des. It’s one dimensional and hopeful. I didn’t see a lot different tonight to previous games where we dropped points, the ball just fell nicely for us today and we had a bit of individual quality when it was needed.

The 4th was a good strike but also deflected and judging by a furious keeper on both deflected goals, he would’ve got something on both.

See what Saturday brings but hopefully with confidence from a win we’ll see a good performance.
Don’t disagree with any of that but for balance remember that against blackpool we are unlucky with 2 glaring goal opportunities that go in 9 times out of ten
And Brannagan hitting the bar against Portsmouth I think it was in the 1-1 draw
We played better against blackpool and Portsmouth than tonight but only drew

Back home and my summation. Poor first half - sloppy passing really stalled any intentions we had and were fortunate to level when we did. A far better second half mind. A new line up which will take a few games to gel. Disappointed not to see Burey.

TG what an asset. Those low skiddy shots just inside the post have caused all sorts of problems for lg1 keepers this season. And the goal tonight superb technique and general all round skill with enthusiasm and workrate. He will have many suitors in the summer.

Score line flattered us, but a win is a win.

Our passing in the first half was poor.

Wigan did their homework and targeted our right hand side, they’re not the first team to do this. Long couldn’t cope with the Wigan wingback - Jones in the first half. Switching Murphy to our right hand side after the break meant Jones was pushed back and was eventually subbed. Having said that, Murphy himself looked more dangerous and comfortable on the left.

The strong bench enabled us to get over the line.

Performances between now and the end of the season need to improve if we are going to make the playoffs. We’re still in the mix though, so all to play for.

Harris is a real team player.
Moore took a knock and was holding his hip in the second half, hopefully it’s not an issue.
Matete looked very rusty, but he a good player and will improve.
Leigh helped with both Murphy and Goodrham’s goals by overlapping and taking a couple of defenders with him, he won’t get an assist but it’s good unselfish team play.
McGuane needs a test/ break for a game or two.
Disappointing that Goodwin didn’t feature.
Apparently Thorniley was working out really hard at half time, and so I wonder whether Moore was hurting, but whatever was the issue it wasn't bad enough for him to need to be substituted. Looks like it still affected his game, though. Perhaps we'll hear more over the next couple of days.

Apparently Thorniley was working out really hard at half time, and so I wonder whether Moore was hurting, but whatever was the issue it wasn't bad enough for him to need to be substituted. Looks like it still affected his game, though. Perhaps we'll hear more over the next couple of days.
If Moore does have a knock serious enough to miss any games, I hope it's Negru who comes in, not Thorniley. The thought of the latter defending on the right side gives me an anxiety headache.

I'm a little worried Negru is injured though - not appeared in a squad since that game where he played right back and ended it holding his arm in pain.

Moore looked like he injured himself late on in the game when he made a silly challenge trying to take the man and ball, when just winning the ball was the right option.

Hope he’s okay for Saturday.

i think we are starting to see how Des wants his team to play and this is an example. Attacking, fast on the counter, quick passing. ready to shoot on sight.

This was a really brilliant move I thought, and Brannagan was unlucky. A lot didn't come off tonight but this will improve the more the team play together,
Grabbing at straws, as I couldn’t see what the plan was again, especially the first half, but want him to succeed.

A scoreline that flattered us - may be. But a theme of our season so far and especially under Manning has been winning tight games by being better at converting chances than our opponents. I think this can be confirmed by those who follow our XG ratings. We had lost that a bit but now it seems to be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom