Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do some of the comments mean that some posters are finally realising it's not as simple as they first thought to get players in so early.

Asking and thinking about Player A to add to Taylor and Baldock is fine until you understand that Player A is unlikely to want to be a 3rd choice (as has been said), now we all know that team selection should be based on form etc but as i've mentioned before the players have all the power. Maybe just maybe this might explain why "sometimes" we end up with a Player D mould / Loan Player

Also it's important to have a reset in fans views and opinions and stop the thought process of needing cover "just because" through injury last season a player had a spell out injured.

Reckon that any other Striker will be a young loan player. Taylor, Baldock and Browne will be rotated and someone experienced liked Eaves just wouldn’t go for that. He will want to start 40+ games a season.
Does the same not apply to loan players too - I'd be suprised if any PL clubs would be willing to send us a striker to develop if they're going to be on the bench for the majority of games.

I'd like to think we've got a decent reputation for sending loanees to, both from the Prem (Holland, Browne etc) + also lower down (Mowatt, Kane etc), and certainly wouldn't mind seeing a few more in this season. I just think we'd struggle to persuade a young lad to come in and presumably be a 3rd/4th choice striker, whilst he could be a starter at another club.

Do some of the comments mean that some posters are finally realising it's not as simple as they first thought to get players in so early.

Asking and thinking about Player A to add to Taylor and Baldock is fine until you understand that Player A is unlikely to want to be a 3rd choice (as has been said), now we all know that team selection should be based on form etc but as i've mentioned before the players have all the power. Maybe just maybe this might explain why "sometimes" we end up with a Player D mould / Loan Player

Also it's important to have a reset in fans views and opinions and stop the thought process of needing cover "just because" through injury last season a player had a spell out injured.
The 'thought process' regarding cover is perfectly valid. Especially if the conversation is around positions where we had no cover at all last season, such as defensive midfield, left back... right back. Mous as third choice CB...)

Does the same not apply to loan players too - I'd be suprised if any PL clubs would be willing to send us a striker to develop if they're going to be on the bench for the majority of games.

I'd like to think we've got a decent reputation for sending loanees to, both from the Prem (Holland, Browne etc) + also lower down (Mowatt, Kane etc), and certainly wouldn't mind seeing a few more in this season. I just think we'd struggle to persuade a young lad to come in and presumably be a 3rd/4th choice striker, whilst he could be a starter at another club.
It depends on their stage of development. Some clubs would be only too happy to send an emerging talent over to learn from someone like Matty Taylor, Baldock etc and pick up 10-15 games in men’s football and experience an environment where results really mean something.

However, a player who has maybe already been somewhere and done well, they may be looking to push them on as a regular starter at a higher level or equally put them in the shop window for a potential sale the following window knowing already they’ll not break through with their parent club.

OUFC and KR specifically are a very safe pair of hands to send players to for any of the above. They’ll get games, they’ll get time on the ball and a chance to play in front of good crowds. I also think Oxford geographically appeals to younger players wanting to stay close to their families, particularly those london/midlands based

Last edited:
I would hope we would be looking at the likes of Norwood or eaves every player in every position needs competition when baldock gets injured you need someone just as good to replace him when Taylor goes on a run of games without scoring you need someone to replace him if we are going to play two up top we need 4 good strikers we've currently got two
The other positions we need to fill are obvious we can all see that

I don’t think we can rely on Baldock and Taylor as Plan A with Baldock’s recent injury record. The third striker signing should reflect that.

We could more or less field a top 6 quality first XI today so the platform is there this summer in terms of numbers needed and finances available to invest heavily in key positions - a third forward is one of those.
Disagree ,those players will get us mid table as it stands

We only managed 8th with these players, and we’ve lost Kane, Holland Whyte, Sykes and Brown, and maybe Bodin

Now if we replace those players with better and keep Branagan and Gorrin and Bodin we can make top 6 but don’t forget the likes of Ipswich,Pompey and Charlton have massively underperformed plus Derby, Barnsley and Peterborough will have parachute money to spend plus throw Sheffield Weds and Bolton (and perhaps Sunderland)into the mix and you can see how tough it is

They will all be expecting a top 6 finish at least in fact these clubs will be expecting automatics

For us to be competing for automatics some big money is going tho have to be spent on some very good players

Chey Dunkley released from Sheffield Wednesday come on Karl do the right thing bring him back
Has his contract expired?
Interesting that they just missed out on promotion and don’t see Dunkley as part of their plan to get to the Championship. I think Dunkley is a very good player so Sheffield Weds are obviously looking for better. A club their size must be desperate to get back up and they don’t want to be in this division as long as Sunderland

Disagree ,those players will get us mid table as it stands

We only managed 8th with these players, and we’ve lost Kane, Holland Whyte, Sykes and Brown, and maybe Bodin

Now if we replace those players with better and keep Branagan and Gorrin and Bodin we can make top 6 but don’t forget the likes of Ipswich,Pompey and Charlton have massively underperformed plus Derby, Barnsley and Peterborough will have parachute money to spend plus throw Sheffield Weds and Bolton (and perhaps Sunderland)into the mix and you can see how tough it is

They will all be expecting a top 6 finish at least in fact these clubs will be expecting automatics

For us to be competing for automatics some big money is going tho have to be spent on some very good players
The point is that we have a solid platform to build from. We’re not in a situation where we need to bring in 15 new faces. We have the basis of a strong squad and can focus our spending in a targeted way to bring in the big players we’ll need to compete with those ex-PL clubs you’ve named. ST, CDM, LB/LWB and likely a Cam replacement priorities. We’ll need more than that but if we get those signings right, we’ll very probably be stronger than last season.

Not gonna lie, would love Dunks back.
If he's fit and the same player that left us, then I'd also love him back. I don't think I've seen an Oxford centre back dominate opponents like big Chey. He's a proper bruiser and has the type of mentality we've missed. But I suspect he doesn't suit our 'playing out from the back' thing.

Interesting thing is Sheffield Wednesday play the same system as we are looking to next season and see him as not good enough. Has he had injury issues this year?

The point is that we have a solid platform to build from. We’re not in a situation where we need to bring in 15 new faces. We have the basis of a strong squad and can focus our spending in a targeted way to bring in the big players we’ll need to compete with those ex-PL clubs you’ve named. ST, CDM, LB/LWB and likely a Cam replacement priorities. We’ll need more than that but if we get those signings right, we’ll very probably be stronger than last season.
Agree we have a solid platform, as we did last year. It’s whether KR learns from his mistakes this year

If he's fit and the same player that left us, then I'd also love him back. I don't think I've seen an Oxford centre back dominate opponents like big Chey. He's a proper bruiser and has the type of mentality we've missed. But I suspect he doesn't suit our 'playing out from the back' thing.
I will always love Dunkley for the Cruyff turn in the box in the JPT final.

The 'thought process' regarding cover is perfectly valid. Especially if the conversation is around positions where we had no cover at all last season, such as defensive midfield, left back... right back. Mous as third choice CB...)
Not said cover is not valid, i said clear the mind of wanting cover due to a past injury, that is very different from covering "Gaps" in a squad.

Yes I can’t disagree with any of this. Probably one where heart is ruling the head for me, but I just loved his character and dominance as you say.

If we sell Moore and continue with a back three he’d potentially be a good option for the middle with Long/McNally/ANother tidy centre back on the left/right of him.

I reckon we’d score more from set pieces too!

A resent stat showed that we were bottom of the league from set pieces oh for a Briggs and Shotton that scored between them 10 to 15 goals a season from corners and were Giant rocks at the back.

A resent stat showed that we were bottom of the league from set pieces oh for a Briggs and Shotton that scored between them 10 to 15 goals a season from corners and were Giant rocks at the back.
If that is true it is somewhere we have to improve on.
Bodin makes a huge difference when taking set pieces and McNally often looks dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom