Home Match Day Thread +++ 25/08/18 OUFC v Burton Albion match day thread +++

If there was a referees assessor there today Kettle would be stood down for a month. Leading up to half time he might as well have stripped off and put on a white shirt.

Fair, but I thought after the Sam Smith yellow in the second half he started giving us an awful lot of very soft free kicks. Bad refs do tend to work both ways. Agree though, either way he was astonishingly bad.

In the end a very enjoyable day. Kettle tried his best to upset everything and got his reward at half time. (felt good after booing him off!) Not often the SSU reacts as they did but that joke of an official deserved every boo and insult.

As to the boys, much improved and so much more of a team performance. Ricky Holmes and Jamie Mackie post match interviews very worthwhile listening to as they are both informative and entertaining.
3 goals and 3 points COYY!!

We played as a proper unit today, which made the difference. Brannagan and Hanson both played with a lot more discipline and, for the first time this season, the back four had good protection in front of them.

With Browne and Whyte we have real pace out wide, and Norman offers much more of a threat from RB than McMahon. I also think Mousinho has brought some excellent leadership qualities to the team and today he put in an absolutely brilliant centre back performance.

Obviously things are still not perfect. Whilst Ruffels always gives 100% he's obviously not a left back, and will probably be exposed against better and quicker wingers. I think the jury is still out on Smith, maybe he just needs a goal to really get himself going. I also think the team can get a bit erratic at times, with certain players losing their discipline and positional awareness (part of me feels this may be due to Robinson's very emotive style on the sideline).

Nonetheless, definite improvement has been made in the last two matches, and I think Robinson may finally now know pretty much what his strongest 11 is.

Let's hope it continues.
Think it was Smith who had the cracking shot which their goalie parried for Henry to knock it in.

Think it was Smith who had the cracking shot which their goalie parried for Henry to knock it in.

Yeah it was. It was a good shot. I think he works hard, but not sure he's enough of a goal threat yet. Like I say, hopefully one goal will set him off.

They said on rad ox that we always win when kettle is ref. 'Can you ref us every week'

Have to say we played pretty well against a poor Burton side who will be flirting with relegation if they keep on like that. Interesting that Robinson's marquee signings of McMahon, Garbutt and Mackie are being outshone by his secondary signings of Whyte, Norman and Smith.

That was a very good win today and an enjoyable game.
We looked really good going forward in the second half and I’m glad he kept the same back four as tuesday. The more they play together the better they will be.

COYY

Well that was worth the dash back from Cornwall. Only missed the first two minutes thanks to the fuckwits at County Council Highways who coned off a lane on the eastern bypass for the second home Saturday running. Brain dead or what!

Maybe we should have a "Kettlewatch" for a few games to see if it's just us he pisses off?

Have to say we played pretty well against a poor Burton side who will be flirting with relegation if they keep on like that. Interesting that Robinson's marquee signings of McMahon, Garbutt and Mackie are being outshone by his secondary signings of Whyte, Norman and Smith.

I did think Mackie played quite well when he came on, he was honest enough to smadmit in his interview he’s had no preseason training

Back
Top Bottom