Home Match Day Thread 29/12/2021 L1: OUFC v AFC Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.
This didn’t age well. Where did everyone come from? It went from a ghost town to a decent’ish attendance in about 2 minutes.

Also, given the lack of traffic last night (before and after the match), I assume that many OUFC fans received teleportation devices for Christmas.

There was heavy queueing from the A4074 at about 19:20.

Assuming that's a dig at me. Yep, they did knock the ball forward a few times but it was hardly a old style Wimbledon barrage and quite often Palmer was dropping short to try and make space (which he couldn't because he was snapped at every time), or even the Wigan backs banging the ball into the corners at every opportunity. Part of Wimbledon's many problems came from trying to play the ball out, which they were s**t at. In fact, almost everything they did was s**t.

A poor team with self-righteous fans. As OY says elsewhere, hopefully on the way down. Amazing that it's taken 15 years for them to realise we only have 3 stands, which they obviously comment on from the superiority of their new pre-fab.

I realised they were a bunch of gobshites when they sang 'shall we build a stand for you?' and then did nothing of the sort. All talk.

There's absolutely no way we should be looking to move Henry on in January! Sheffield Wednesday and Doncaster alone has seen us gain 4 points due to late winners, plus his hatrick again Lincoln.

Henry still has a huge role to play, whether starting or playing an impact role off the bench. With Sykes almost playing in the no.10 role we have the option to bring Henry on for a like for like replacement, or to replace Whyte on the right as an experienced head to tighten things up.

I don't get this suggesting we should move on Henry. He is an important part of the squad and has contributed to or scored 10 goals (7 goals, 3 assists) this season in 20 games. He won't play every game but gives versatility and will be key in some games for us.

Oxford fans - we want a strong squad with cover for every position.

Also Oxford fans - we need a player on who has only just lost his place to injury.

Be madness to even think about letting Henry go in January, we need to concentrate on improving the squad where we are thin not replacing players we have let go.

Current sales are a disappointing 6,200, pretty much in line with the Crewe game, and very much bearing out the ridiculous EFL decision to play tonight rather than yesterday. I feel it has also been affected by doubt about the game going ahead. For this reason I expect higher than usual on the day sales, so we may reach 7,000 home fans. Wimbledon took 750 to Wycombe and 950 to Cambridge, so I'd hope for similar to us.

I'm predicting between 7,500 and 7,750 in total tonight at best. Would have been 9,000+ if played yesterday!
I wasn't far out, but undercooked it a bit due to the exceptional on the day sales.

We ended up with 7,135 home fans (of which 937 were on the day) and 780 away fans (of which I understand nearly 500 were on the day). The total on the day sales of over 1,400 is unheard of in recent seasons, but might be something we have to get used to during the uncertainty of the Covid peak, and is something that makes the club's planning a lot harder.

If Cheltenham is on (and I expect it will be) we'll probably set a new on the day record.

I wasn't far out, but undercooked it a bit due to the exceptional on the day sales.

We ended up with 7,135 home fans (of which 937 were on the day) and 780 away fans (of which I understand nearly 500 were on the day). The total on the day sales of over 1,400 is unheard of in recent seasons, but might be something we have to get used to during the uncertainty of the Covid peak, and is something that makes the club's planning a lot harder.

If Cheltenham is on (and I expect it will be) we'll probably set a new on the day record.

This team deserves full houses. Oxfordshire owes itself to get itself down the Kassam if it can.

This team deserves full houses. Oxfordshire owes itself to get itself down the Kassam if it can.
Absolutely, I have held back from trotting out something similar for years when we have had a decent season or two (even though they can be few and far between) but I do think 'the hidden' leave supporting the yellows to others at times even though people today do have their own reasons for staying away which in yesteryears wasn't always the case.

This team if you can find a way deserve Oxfordshire's support.

COYY'S

I agree, we shouldn’t take this team for granted, they won’t be together for long. Even if we go up the team may not be so much fun to watch next season.

What a performance! What a privilege it is to be able to watch us play like that. A couple of thoughts. Can Henry even get back in this team? We seem to be playing a bit better without him unfortunately, and while he has been an excellent servant to the club, perhaps we should be looking at moving him on in January to free up quite a hefty wage. He's not getting any younger. I'd love to see him stay, but we can't have any passengers if we want a promotion push.

It almost seems has if McGuane has been trained to play with a higher level of player. He did an amazing reverse pass in the area that nobody read. Perhaps if he was playing with premiership players, they would have read that and he would be receiving the plaudits for a very clever pass. He's going to have to think less intelligently if he wants to be successful at this level and try and keep it a bit simpler.
No U.K. don’t move a very creative player, yes he may find it hard to to get back in the side, but he should stay. Agyei, Winnall and Coooer to go Mous and Gorrin if the squad list that will be more than enough.

Absolutely! Man Utd will have had the usual 70,000+ for that uninspiring, dull, soulless offering last night. Based on that we should have hundreds crowded on the top of vans at the fence end.

• React
Reactions: MJB
For a while now I have always felt that we need a midfield player with height and strength to enable us to compete for aerial balls and bring some physicality to the middle of the park. On Wednesday night however we showed that what we lack in height in midfield we make up for with pace, energy and stamina. Brannagan, Sykes, Williams and Whyte chased hustled and harried the opposition forcing them to turn the ball over which gave us the opportunity to dominate the play. This won’t happen every game as there are teams that have better quality players but it certainly makes for a more exciting brand of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom