3rd Test England V Australia - Headingley

rubbish day at the office for England ... tomorrow is another day ... get the last few convict wickets for under a total chase of 300 , and its not impossible to win this ... if the batting order remember its a test match of course
bit of faith n all that ;)

I've just watched the Channel 5 highlights - and was almost as nervous as when it was live! :)

When sport is good, it really is excellent...

no beers ... not yet .... always optimistic me ... I support the Mighty U's , OUFC , its second nature to be hopeful against near impossible odds :sneaky:
Good man. If the Us don’t get promoted now, I’m blaming this post.

I've just watched the Channel 5 highlights - and was almost as nervous as when it was live! :)

When sport is good, it really is excellent...

I did the same!

My missus said ‘you know the result, why are you tensing up again?!’

Hard to explain why. Maybe in the depths of my mind Nathan Lyon did manage to run Leach out or Joel Wilson did give Stokes out LBW!

Firstly, what a bottle job from Australia - muffed reviews, dropped catches, poor fielding - they had control of the game until they got tired. Glenn McGrath's reaction said it all.

As for England, decent bowling effort, shocking batting effort as a team. Ill-disciplined, lazy and just a collapse waiting to happen. Too mentally fragile

And finally, Ben Stokes
xFrJtHx.gif

What an effort from the lad. Had some luck, but batted with great skill and intelligence. To go from Boycott on steroids, to KP in a Twenty 20, takes a special talent, a work ethic and a great mind. Stokes understood the game situation and batted accordingly. His innings is a framework for the likes of Roy and Buttler, and players in county cricket to follow. You can play all forms of cricket and not be a one trick pony.

And I am glad Jack Leach got his lifetime deal from Specsavers!

England rode their luck today, and the win shouldn't paper over some poor performances. However, Stokes has shown today what can be done with application and belief. The likes of Roy and Buttler are on very thin ice, and need to show that they can grind out innings at this level. Root has also been a little overwhelmed and this was his first win in 8 ashes tests as captain. Lots of changes are required, but right now it's about getting the win needed to claim the ashes before a big sort out in the autumn.

Told you!!!

Fair play.

Reading the Aussie social media is fantastic
- umpires fault
- stokes is a kiwi
- Paine isn’t a Captain
Etc

I can’t help but feel the Aussies were masters of their own downfall a little bit. The constant appealing for ridiculous shouts just disengaged the umpires to their requests. The Bairstow appeal was so obviously wide of the mark that it was close to cheating. Luckily we use our drs well and they’re still acting like Watson is out there in charge of it all

Arguably the greatest individual performance in a Test. Ever. One of the great English sporting occasions. In any sport . Ever.

Robinson should play back the last half an hour of that innings to his squad every Friday after training. You are never beaten.

Thoroughly admired the Aussie players response to the defeat. They knew they had been beaten by a force of nature.

If anybody is interested, the last hour of TMS commentary is available on the BBC Sounds App and is a wonderful listen.

And Aggers is superb on it along with Alistair Cook and Glenn McGrath likewise.

Edit: The atmosphere comes across so much better on TMS than the C5 highlights.

Last edited:
Fair play.

Reading the Aussie social media is fantastic
- umpires fault
- stokes is a kiwi
- Paine isn’t a Captain
Etc

I can’t help but feel the Aussies were masters of their own downfall a little bit. The constant appealing for ridiculous shouts just disengaged the umpires to their requests. The Bairstow appeal was so obviously wide of the mark that it was close to cheating. Luckily we use our drs well and they’re still acting like Watson is out there in charge of it all

Good point - They paid the price for over-appealing, that's how I like to see it!

Just watched the highlights for the second time this morning.
I can assure you it still feels great.
A sporting spectacle that is simply the best ever!

Was out all of yesterday, what did I miss? ?
me too ... working!

... though did manage to catch an occasional update.... watched the highlights when I got back (late) - even though not 'real time' , that was a seriously special spectacle

reckon England are more than capable of going on to win the remaining two Ashes tests, and win this Ashes series,... if our batting order can all get into a test match battting mindset

Back
Top Bottom