Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

So would I. I know that Sam Long is one of our own and all that. But I don't think he's any more than a really average L1 defender. If he left us tomorrow, he would be heading for Cheltenham or FGR, not Wigan or Pompey. Or possibly a decent L2 team. I know it's a bit like shooting Bambi, but we need better than him for next season. Sorry!
Shock news, you need more than one player per position ...

It took place at The Riverside on 3rd May 1998. It was the last game of the season, which we lost 1-4 and Nicky Banger scored our goal. They were promoted.

It was a nauseating experience due to many in the Oxford end clapping the celebrating Middlesborough players and fans.

Sickening, sycophantic and embarrassing.

Absolutely not, had one of the best away weekends for a very long time up there.
The Riverside was a pretty new stadium so had to tick it off the list.
They got promoted on merit and we had nothing to play for.
Friendly lads whose passion for the game is ridiculous as with most North East clubs.

A little footnote......... the Riverside was built in 32 weeks just in case anyone is looking at building a new stadium locally.....

Absolutely not, had one of the best away weekends for a very long time up there.
Friendly lads whose passion for the game is ridiculous as with most North East clubs.

A little footnote......... the Riverside was built in 32 weeks just in case anyone is looking at building a new stadium locally.....
Got approached at my car by one of theirs and whilst trying to work out whether i'd prefer Oranges or grapes in the local Hospital he shook my hand and said thanks so much for staying behind and applauding us, hope you join us next season.

Got approached at my car by one of theirs and whilst trying to work out whether i'd prefer Oranges or grapes in the local Hospital he shook my hand and said thanks so much for staying behind and applauding us, hope you join us next season.

One asked my mate for his Oxford shirt in exchange for his Boro shirt. My mate turned him down as the Boro shirt would have been an extremely tight fit!

Their fans were class when I went up there for the FA game a few years back. Got talking to one and he bought me a pint, I returned the favour. Good club Boro their fans are the opposite of the "modern" football fan

I’m glad you all enjoyed it. Seems they just stopped short of a full scale dose of patronising hair ruffling.

I wonder, if the result had gone against them, whether or not you’d have received quite the same outpouring of brotherly love? Given they are, apparently, the modern day embodiment of the true Corinthian spirit, I should think so.

Their fans were class when I went up there for the FA game a few years back. Got talking to one and he bought me a pint, I returned the favour. Good club Boro their fans are the opposite of the "modern" football fan

I find the Newcastle / Sunderland fan “look at how awesome we are” thing pretty irksome.

Boro seem to be passionate and well supported without making a meal out of it

It’s a shame that we didn’t get to see Atkinson play much beyond a ropey iFollow stream

I think Atkinson is underrated by some of our fans. Quality, quality player. Shame we couldn’t keep him for longer, or even one more season…
I think that he was hugely entertaining and a good player. He left well before he fulfilled his potential which is a shame.
Unfortunately his last games were v Blackpool where he was bullied by Simms.
I admit to being totally surprised that he is rated in that article as No 6 in the league. Really pleased for him though.
I think that McNally is as good now as Atkinson was when he left ( and due to his pace and other attributes he has a higher ceiling)

Steve McClaren likely to be announced assistant manager at Man Utd, to help that new geezer Eric Ten Hag. Apparently ETH was assistant to SM when he first went to Holland as manager.

I think that McNally is as good now as Atkinson was when he left ( and due to his pace and other attributes he has a higher ceiling)

Atkinson was better at bringing the ball out from defense. Yes, he messed up occasionally - but with McNally, it really does feel like a game of Russian Roulette given his tendency to let a touch get away from him!

But McNally is at least as good a defender already - better in the air, and much quicker - and as such, his potential is sky high once he gets a bunch more matches under his belt and rounds off some of the edges to his game. Higher than Dickie's even, I reckon. I hope we hold out for a really big fee for him.

Back
Top Bottom