Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

Don‘t think he was anywhere near - or ever likely to be - the class of a Dickie, Atkinson or McNally.
If memory serves, KR was once talking him up as having potential to play for England one day? Not sure what happened here...

If memory serves, KR was once talking him up as having potential to play for England one day? Not sure what happened here...
I think that there are a load of players with potential .
Those who do succeed have to avoid big injuries have a bit of luck, talent and be very determined.
It sounds like Nico Jones had an attitude problem, but he has another chance at Brentford. Will he take his chance or follow Canice Carroll who played for Oxford City last night?

Wasn't he caught breaking COVID lockdown at a house party, or was that someone else?

Atkinson was better at bringing the ball out from defense. Yes, he messed up occasionally - but with McNally, it really does feel like a game of Russian Roulette given his tendency to let a touch get away from him!

But McNally is at least as good a defender already - better in the air, and much quicker - and as such, his potential is sky high once he gets a bunch more matches under his belt and rounds off some of the edges to his game. Higher than Dickie's even, I reckon. I hope we hold out for a really big fee for him.
Some good points and yet you've still omitted another attribute where McNally trumps his predecessors... goalscoring.

4 League goals this season from just 27 starts (so more like 7 over a full season). In a side that isn't traditionally strong at set pieces (how many would he get somewhere like Rotherham)?

Obviously you want your defenders to do the basics of defending first and foremost, but a Centre Back who can chip in with half a dozen goals is a real asset. How much more confident do you now feel when we win a corner, and you still McNally strolling up into the action?

Some good points and yet you've still omitted another attribute where McNally trumps his predecessors... goalscoring.

4 League goals this season from just 27 starts (so more like 7 over a full season). In a side that isn't traditionally strong at set pieces (how many would he get somewhere like Rotherham)?

Obviously you want your defenders to do the basics of defending first and foremost, but a Centre Back who can chip in with half a dozen goals is a real asset. How much more confident do you now feel when we win a corner, and you still McNally strolling up into the action?
He's a baller
https://www.the42.ie/drogheda-united-v-cabinteely-second-leg-october-2019-4868249-Oct2019/

Tarique Fosu off to Strasbourg.

Do we get a sell on?

Scrolled back through to OM articles at the time and ‘additional clauses’ were mentioned so there may be a sell on there.

If it’s 10% or so, that wouldn’t be bad going.

Scrolled back through to OM articles at the time and ‘additional clauses’ were mentioned so there may be a sell on there.

If it’s 10% or so, that wouldn’t be bad going.
Fosu had a release clause, so it depends whether the rest of the money and clauses were for Shandon alone, or whether they got a 'discount' on him by buying 2 for one price including the same add-on clauses for both.

Fosu had a release clause, so it depends whether the rest of the money and clauses were for Shandon alone, or whether they got a 'discount' on him by buying 2 for one price including the same add-on clauses for both.
Because of the release clause being met, there would have been no reason for Brentford to agree to any further clauses to conclude the deal.

Because of the release clause being met, there would have been no reason for Brentford to agree to any further clauses to conclude the deal.

Unless we said that we'd down Shandon's fee if the add-on clauses extended to both players, is what I'm saying. They certainly didn't need to do anything extra for Tarique, but may have done to help land both players.

Unless we said that we'd down Shandon's fee if the add-on clauses extended to both players, is what I'm saying. They certainly didn't need to do anything extra for Tarique, but may have done to help land both players.
No, it won't have happened (IMO of course, I have no inside knowledge on the subject), it just wouldn't have made sense for them to agree to anything other than the base buy-out clause for Fosu. Why put an unnecessary clause in that could cost you millions in the future?

No, it won't have happened (IMO of course, I have no inside knowledge on the subject), it just wouldn't have made sense for them to agree to anything other than the base buy-out clause for Fosu. Why put an unnecessary clause in that could cost you millions in the future?
Pure speculation, but once the buyout figure has been met, that could be the starting point for negotiations.
eg buy out = £1m.
Brentford then say how about 800K + 10% sell on? It's then up to OUFC to decide on guaranteed cash now, or take less up front with a potential future windfall?

Back
Top Bottom