General Fans Forum 12/12/2022

I said before the forum that we'd likely see a collective show of support for Robinson, and that's what we had.

The constant narrative that Williams and Ferguson are subservient to Robinson is ridiculous, and embarrassing to men who have been very successful in their careers and within football specifically. Of course they will defer to Karl on footballing issues, as they deferred to NMcW on many stadium issues.

Ferguson did say that the window could have gone better but also spoke about being involved in conversations about our goalkeepers and Wildschut coming in, so maybe the summer transfer window wasn't a one man show after all?

Also, despite feeling that the planning was right, Robinson did take responsibility for Murphy (and others) and did accept that the outcome was poor as a result of the injuries. Not exactly falling on his sword, but a step in the right direction.

Really don’t like to see TW hugging KR before games either. They shouldn’t be mates.
Agreed - I got to know Kelvin Thomas quite well and he said to me that whilst he did mix with the players he 'couldn't be their friend' because he might need to tell them their contract wasn't being renewed at some point. The same applies to a degree to the CEO's relationship with the manager. KR seems very good at getting the big boys to fondle him on a regular basis.

Did it concern anyone else that they seemed unaware of issues regarding the ticket system? There have been problems for a long time around the current system so it did surprise me it wasn’t common knowledge with the club.

Also good to know that they understand marketing needs big improvements. I would add that it could of been pointed out that fan engagement could be vastly improved along side this.

I said before the forum that we'd likely see a collective show of support for Robinson, and that's what we had.

The constant narrative that Williams and Ferguson are subservient to Robinson is ridiculous, and embarrassing to men who have been very successful in their careers and within football specifically. Of course they will defer to Karl on footballing issues, as they deferred to NMcW on many stadium issues.

Ferguson did say that the window could have gone better but also spoke about being involved in conversations about our goalkeepers and Wildschut coming in, so maybe the summer transfer window wasn't a one man show after all?

Also, despite feeling that the planning was right, Robinson did take responsibility for Murphy (and others) and did accept that the outcome was poor as a result of the injuries. Not exactly falling on his sword, but a step in the right direction.
TW also said that he couldn't comment on a transfer window where he wasn't at the club so not sure that fully stacks up. I agree with the rest of your post though!

Yes it did feel a bit disjointed.

Only right in my view that the majority of the questions should be stadium related, it is after all the most important issue facing the club at the current time. I think it would‘ve been better for those questions and answers to be grouped together in the discussion. Preferably at the beginning.

We get to hear from Robinson every week so it was unlikely that we’d get anything interesting, new or insightful from him apart from the fact he believes we had a good transfer window in the summer!

McWilliams, Kinniburgh & Gilbert all came across well.
That’s very kind of you, thank you.

TW also said that he couldn't comment on a transfer window where he wasn't at the club so not sure that fully stacks up. I agree with the rest of your post though!
I think that comment hinted that things will be done differently this January than they were in the summer (thank god!).

I’d far rather see a camp united, supporting each other and working together than a fractured, hostile or worse yet absent leadership. Very few people would thrive in an environment where their bosses don’t have faith in their ability and show that support in an almost too-obvious way. Some people would look at Karl post-match 6 to 8 weeks ago and say he needs a slap. Others will have thought he needs an arm around him and taking out the spotlight somehow. TW might have chosen a mixture but he’s hardly going to torch him in public. And this is a football club - match days are the most vital time to be supporting him.

I’m sure there is a very clear hierarchy. These people aren’t rich kids looking for something to do in their spare time. Karl is lucky to have them to learn from and there is a visible difference in his demeanour which either means he is listening to their advice, taking demands from them or both. Either way they’ve had an impression on him and if they’re going to stick with him, that’s all you can ask. He’s slowly but surely getting back in line.
From that last paragraph I’m trying to decide if KR is a 6 year old child or a ladrador…

said before the forum that we'd likely see a collective show of support for Robinson, and that's what we had.

Obviously there would be, the board members wouldn’t be able to show sustain for KR in a public forum it would be very poor and unprofessional for the board members to do so.

The board also said promotion was the target This year but from what @uptheus said when asking after the forum about the recruitment in January doesn’t inspire to much confidence.

Regarding KR as @Wallop posted Grant and Tim did much of the talking and you could see KR wasn’t being afforded to much time to answer or maybe they don’t trust him. Time will tell.

So have you climbed back over the fence to the KR in camp? As you were saying it’s time for him to go?

Obviously there would be, the board members wouldn’t be able to show sustain for KR in a public forum it would be very poor and unprofessional for the board members to do so.

The board also said promotion was the target This year but from what @uptheus said when asking after the forum about the recruitment in January doesn’t inspire to much confidence.

Regarding KR as @Wallop posted Grant and Tim did much of the talking and you could see KR wasn’t being afforded to much time to answer or maybe they don’t trust him. Time will tell.

So have you climbed back over the fence to the KR in camp? As you were saying it’s time for him to go?
Regarding your last question: Scotch has sat on the fence on that issue, and two or three weeks ago was drifting towards a more positive approach to KR. Which he’s allowed to do, of course. So not over the fence, but still on it.

And on the first point; if KR had been given any MORE time to speak nobody else would have got a word in. He mutters and fluffs and often sits on the edge of mendacity but he’s VERY good at saying nothing of note and sounding as though he does have an answer. This forum was more of the same.

From what I can remember:

He was asked about getting the best young players from Oxon to the club. He explained that it is always the aim. They had 5 of the best rated local 7 year olds in (Iirc that was the age) and asked is that all of them but got told no, 3 were at Southampton. Southampton started coaching sessions at 6 years old whereas we started at 7 so the solution is for us to start at 6. We couldn't stop families going to PL Academies but we could give them a reason not to.

He also talked about keeping tabs on Oxon kids at other Academies so if they decide to leave or are released then we know where they are at and whether we should/can offer them an opportunity with us.

There may be more.

I thought he spoke well.

On a side-note, they are looking at naming the main show pitch, that the Youth team use, at the Training Ground as the The Manor to link in with our history.
Pretty much what he has said already in post recruitment interview. Only thing new was recruitment starting at 6 years to stop youngsters going to Southampton e.g.

All of that may well be true but I can’t take TW serious when he keeps saying the aim this season is promotion. He’s living in cuckoo land.
Valid. But whether we deserve or acknowledge it, the rest of the league has left the door open to us to walk straight in to that promotion picture. We should be out of it but we’re very much within range with plenty of time. We need to approach our remaining games as it’s own mini season starting with a transfer window. TW can’t convince anybody he’s seen enough in this squad (Karl included) to get promoted this year or next. In his hands to change it so it may just be a show of confidence in what’s to come rather than delusion around what’s gone.

Regarding your last question: Scotch has sat on the fence on that issue, and two or three weeks ago was drifting towards a more positive approach to KR. Which he’s allowed to do, of course. So not over the fence, but still on it.

And on the first point; if KR had been given any MORE time to speak nobody else would have got a word in. He mutters and fluffs and often sits on the edge of mendacity but he’s VERY good at saying nothing of note and sounding as though he does have an answer. This forum was more of the same.
He was saying it’s maybe time for him to go.

It did seem the last Grant was directing the state of play and KR was only passed the Mike when he had to explain the transfer shenanigans and when I asked about Yanic ie when is he back to be told he would along with Murphy would have been on the bench last Saturday.

He was saying it’s maybe time for him to go.

It did seem the last Grant was directing the state of play and KR was only passed the Mike when he had to explain the transfer shenanigans and when I asked about Yanic ie when is he back to be told he would along with Murphy would have been on the bench last Saturday.
They will both be involved next game
Let's have a look at Murphy's body language when he comes on
Will he giveadamn?

Did I hear right that we haven't got the problem with a new sponsor next season slowing up the process of the new kits being revealed?

In regard to the stadium planning situation, I think some of you are getting confused with what you thought you heard last night.

The club intend to put in a detailed PLANNING APPLICATION by the end of March, not to have PLANNING APPROVAL by that date.

It was always the intention to put the application in by the end of this year, or at latest in the first quarter of 2023, so in reality we have lost 3 months at the most from the original programme. It was then assumed that approval would take 12 months, until the end of 2023. During this period lots of other planning/design/tender preparation work could still be carried out. It may well be that we make up the 3 months, and still get approval by the end of 2023, or it may be that it drifts until the end of March 2024, but this still gives us two and a half years for construction, so still a very achievable schedule.
Colin, I asked the question which was, when is the last date that we need to be able to complete the stadium build for the 2026/27 season and Grant said March 2023, so may be he misunderstood the timeframe?

I think the Summer is when we will know, bar a disastrous run of form. I can actually understand why the board might not want to remove Robinson despite being staunchly "Karl out" myself.

The stadium is vital to the future of the Club. Do they really want to be recruiting a new manager whilst it's still up in the air? Or do they want to impress a new manager in the Summer with the promise they will one day manage in a proper football stadium?
Comments are based upon last nights body language and comments, so not saying that these won’t change cone the end of the season.

Back
Top Bottom