Current Player Kyle Edwards

Really happy with this roll of the dice.

If he gets fit and effective for say the last 8 games of the season, could be an essential addition.

If it goes tits up and his recovery stalls, the expense is mitigated.

If it all goes well, we hopefully get his loyalty for a contract extension 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
The guy is class. He properly takes fullbacks to the cleaners and as a single matter this deal excites me.

However, in my book, having Edwards in our squad means we can’t have Browne or Murphy in it at the same time. There is just not enough games in them and for 15 or 20k a week between the three, there is far too much risk. It’s not that I don’t rate them all. In fact the crying shame is that having all three able to give us 35 games would get us in the second tier imo.

Not entirely convinced by this signing, to be honest. I get the same 'if we can get him fit, etc' vibes as I've had all too many times in recent years and we all know how that has worked out almost without exception. Don't get me wrong, I think he is an excellent player - but he is not going to affect a single game until March at the very earliest.

Perhaps I ought to think of him as one for next season - but then we haven't signed him up for next season. If we get him fit, he gets on the pitch for three or four games at the end of of this season and he tears the place up then he will be off.

Whatever, in terms of January signings : he isn't one that can make a difference for weeks and weeks to come. If he is one of DB's '6 signings' along with two loans who are just replacements for two other loans (who were actually pretty good) and Bennett till the end of the season, then we have had four of them without improving the current first team markedly.

Not entirely convinced by this signing, to be honest. I get the same 'if we can get him fit, etc' vibes as I've had all too many times in recent years and we all know how that has worked out almost without exception. Don't get me wrong, I think he is an excellent player - but he is not going to affect a single game until March at the very earliest.

Perhaps I ought to think of him as one for next season - but then we haven't signed him up for next season. If we get him fit, he gets on the pitch for three or four games at the end of of this season and he tears the place up then he will be off.

Whatever, in terms of January signings : he isn't one that can make a difference for weeks and weeks to come. If he is one of DB's '6 signings' (along with two loans who are just replacements for two other loans who were actually pretty good) and Bennett till the end of the season, then we have had four of them without improving the current first team markedly.
Let’s say he doesn’t get fit. We’ve wasted a few quid, though almost certainly not very much, given his contract was paid up.

If he does get fit, I don’t think any of us wouldn’t want KE available to us in what could be crucial games, even if he was only good for appearances from the bench.

It’s a gamble. But a small stakes one for the money and the match winning potential.

I don't know how much it is costing us. We can obviously afford it (or we wouldn't be doing it) and it is obviously a gamble (as you correctly say) that the club is prepared to take. I hope it works out - I really do, he is a class player.

I am just remembering how excited I was to see Marcus Browne reappear - we had weeks of 'Marcus will return soon', he did, looked excellent for ten minutes and then that was that. Edwards will be added to the list of players who might be able to be fit sometime and sometimes - and could possibly be fit enough to play a whole game.

I don't know how much it is costing us. We can obviously afford it (or we wouldn't be doing it) and it is obviously a gamble (as you correctly say) that the club is prepared to take. I hope it works out - I really do, he is a class player.

I am just remembering how excited I was to see Marcus Browne reappear - we had weeks of 'Marcus will return soon', he did, looked excellent for ten minutes and then that was that. Edwards will be added to the list of players who might be able to be fit sometime and sometimes - and could possibly be fit enough to play a whole game.

The difference is, Browne was costing us a fortune. The club will, I trust, sign other options too.

Whatever, in terms of January signings : he isn't one that can make a difference for weeks and weeks to come. If he is one of DB's '6 signings' along with two loans who are just replacements for two other loans (who were actually pretty good) and Bennett till the end of the season, then we have had four of them without improving the current first team markedly.
I think it's fair to be wary of signing 'another' injury-prone player, but unlike the signings of Baldock, Browne and Murphy this will be on significantly lower wages and a much shorter contract. I think lessons have been learnt at the club, and if we do keep Edwards on for next season, I'd imagine it'd be with the pretence that Browne and Murphy will have moved on, or significantly reduced their wages.

Let's hope so. Just one other thing for accuracy. In Chris William's interview with Kyle Edwards, the latter does say that the *best* case scenario for him is being available at the end of March, so I guess we shouldn't get our hopes up.

We must be paying him a low wage, but maybe an option to extend it by a year with an x% rise to bring it in line with other players.

I think it's fair to be wary of signing 'another' injury-prone player, but unlike the signings of Baldock, Browne and Murphy this will be on significantly lower wages and a much shorter contract. I think lessons have been learnt at the club, and if we do keep Edwards on for next season, I'd imagine it'd be with the pretence that Browne and Murphy will have moved on, or significantly reduced their wages.
Agreed. It’s a much cannier signing from the club because of it

Whatever happens Kyle certainly can't play for us if he isn't on our payroll as such and am not sure Des is an over sentimental type but is being pragmatic.

For gods sake you lot.....
Club finances, fit players, unfit players, etc, etc......
Yes, all our supporters want 2 or 3 established league 1 or even Championship players to sign for us in January however guess what, so does another 30 - 40 other clubs either chasing promotion or trying to stay in the league they are in...!

As with the current topic there are questions regarding Kyle Edwards fitness as a top quality left side attacking player with an eye for goal and a match winner, however can he last 90 minutes on a regular basis.......? Probably not....!
We also have questions regarding Marcus Browne‘s fitness as a top quality left side attaking player with an eye for a goal and a match winner, however can he last 90 minutes on a regular basis......? Probably not.....!

Thinking outside of the box we now have probably the best two left side attacking players in league 1 who we can now manage and rotate them whether that is 60 / 30 minutes every game or one starts one game and the other starts the next game.....

We are supporters and what we crave is success on the pitch so the talk of this is a financial risk or that is a risk means fcuk all to us, its peanuts in the grand scheme of things...

All we want is the best possible players on the pitch...

RANT OVER

Him being under contract probably means he can keep paying PFA subs and get insurance in case he has a separate injury during his recovery

We are supporters and what we crave is success on the pitch so the talk of this is a financial risk or that is a risk means fcuk all to us, its peanuts in the grand scheme of things...

All we want is the best possible players on the pitch...
I think the concerns about financial risk are valid especially when the limited money for wages is being spent on injury-prone players.

It’s directly linked to having the best possible players on the pitch, because it limits what we do in the transfer window and also who we have available on the pitch. For example, do we sign the likes of Baldock and Browne in the hope they’ll show flashes of Championship quality if they do play, rather than signing a Ryan Williams type who will always be available and give you solid 6 or 7 out of 10 performances? It was decisions like that which crippled our squad last season and almost got us relegated.

That said, I think a deal like Edwards is worth the risk, especially if going forward into next season he’s the only big injury risk in the squad.

Edwards was on approx.10k a week at Ipswich and had the last six months of his contract paid out in full and his rehab will be covered through his insurance.

Our contract will be absolute peanuts with a bonus paid on games played. If he doesn't play again this season it would have cost us virtually nothing other than a space in the squad that we wouldn't fill anyway. But if he can get fit, and makes anywhere near the impact he did earlier this season, then he could just be the difference between 7th and the playoffs, or even promotion.

So it's absolutely zero risk, minimal cost and the potential for big rewards.

Of course he could get fit, look great on his return and then go elsewhere in the summer. But then he could have returned to Ipswich and completed his recovery there instead. The fact that he had stayed and focused on playing for us again has got to be a huge positive that could see us getting our first big signing in the summer.

I'm genuinely amazed that anyone can find any negatives in this deal at all.

Our contract will be absolute peanuts with a bonus paid on games played. If he doesn't play again this season it would have cost us virtually nothing other than a space in the squad that we wouldn't fill anyway.
Is this "I would imagine the contract would look like this" or "I know it is"? The wording is a little foggy

Ed and Des both seem to have their heads screwed on, unlike Karl ever did.

If we're taking Edwards on with a view to signing him next season, then it presumably means both Browne and Murphy are on their way out at the end of the season.

No way could we afford to carry three injury prone wingers (again).

Back
Top Bottom