Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone’s had a few quid on Lampard, he’s the current 6-4 Fav.

Prob be someone else tomorrow though

It quite appeals to me that he was one thing in his playing days and something completely contrasting to that in what he promotes as a coach. That seems to me like a very nice combination of commitment & aggression while also keeping some swagger to what we do on the ball. He's an interesting one.
He was also captain at Watford, Coventry and Derby so leadership appears to come naturally. He appears to tick a lot of boxes, not young at 44 but far from old, already experienced and with a good reputation but also looking to move back up the leagues as he probably feels he belongs in the Championship. Capable of getting teams playing good stuff and I'd think his reputation is good enough that teams will be happy sending players here on loan. Might be that he won't drop down but we're a great opportunity.

That is a genuinely excellent piece.

I wonder where he’s based, given his club coaching jobs have been between the midlands and west London. I see he’s originally from Solihull. If he lives within an hour of the club already you wonder if that might catch his eye.

Interesting that he also has an assistant in Gardiner who seems to come as part of the package.

What is a young and progressive coach exactly? From what I can work out, you need to wear a 1/4 jumper and chinos, but beyond that, is it just passing the ball around the back until we all get bored?
It’s usually a younger manager who just copies a superior, not just down to the football but even the mannerisms. Bit like Arteta trying to emulate Pep with rolling up the sleeves and the posture and also Liam Manning trying to be a Poundland Eddie Howe.

If Buckingham didn’t have the Oxford connection I don’t think many would be giving him a second look. Given those that will be making the decision here also have no connection to the club from that time, I’d be surprised if he was appointed.
You are probably right but..

I like his type of profile though and am sure there are others like him. Got all the quals, city group must have seen something in him, seems quite forward thinking from the limited articles I’ve read and hasn’t just sat on his a**e moaning about the lack of opportunities in England. He’s gone out and grabbed opportunities wherever they are in the world.

You are probably right but..

I like his type of profile though and am sure there are others like him. Got all the quals, city group must have seen something in him, seems quite forward thinking from the limited articles I’ve read and hasn’t just sat on his a**e moaning about the lack of opportunities in England. He’s gone out and grabbed opportunities wherever they are in the world.
Yes, not dissimilar to Manning before MK hired him

Someone’s had a few quid on Lampard, he’s the current 6-4 Fav.

Prob be someone else tomorrow though
I'm long since banned from BetVictor but someone stick a fiver on Eustace or Williams or someone around there and their odds will tumble, I'd be interested to see how much. I heard about a manager who was likely to get a job years ago and tried sticking a tenner on at 25's, wasn't allowed, managed a fiver and the odds came down to 16's. It's a market that the bookies don't have a clue in so will just react to the money. They must do really well out of it, the occasional lucky punter but will pick a name out of the hat early on and win big but otherwise it's a crapshoot.

For me John Eustace all day long, had Birmingham in play offs in Championships before Rooney ruined it this season which is where we want to be quality manager

I heard about a manager who was likely to get a job years ago and tried sticking a tenner on at 25's, wasn't allowed, managed a fiver and the odds came down to 16's.
So?

What happened?!

That is a genuinely excellent piece.

I wonder where he’s based, given his club coaching jobs have been between the midlands and west London. I see he’s originally from Solihull. If he lives within an hour of the club already you wonder if that might catch his eye.

Interesting that he also has an assistant in Gardiner who seems to come as part of the package.
Do we need a gardiner if we already have a groundsman?

Well if we're going for the full suite of British accents maybe John Eustace should be the one. Or maybe a Geordie or Scot? Just saying...

Darren Patterson - Northern Irish
Chris Wilder - Yorkshire
Michael Appleton - Manchester
Pep Clotet - Spangleesh
Karl Robinson - Scouse
Liam Manning - erm?!... East of England mid-Atlantic Southern-Bland-Waffle-PR?
John Eustace - Brummie

One main difference last time was that the key players in the process got themselves into the country in advance and were ready to go. After the Cambridge defeat people started flying in - Tiger was in the directors’ box against Bristol Rovers as he had come over to pull the trigger, seeing as Robinson was ‘his man’. Grant Ferguson was also on the ground. According to Short last night, Ferguson is currently in Kuala Lumpur. Presumably they’ve got some of the finest golf courses in the world, as well as some of the trickiest peasants to strike with the ball.

Hopefully people scramble and we can have someone in before Cheltenham, especially as it’s Bolton at home three days after that. You really want a manager in for that one and for it not to be their first game.
I understand that, because of the manager situation, Grant Ferguson, and some of the others, will be over this week and at the Leyton Orient match. I don't think we'll hang about with this.

Big consideration when hiring our new manager is does their name go well with ball a'la Manning-ball, as is the current trend?

Des Buckingham - Buckingham-ball, or maybe just bucking-ball works well
John Eustace - Eustace-ball, not bad
Luke Williams - Willy-ball, absolutely not, take his name off the short-list!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom