General Most Loved/Hated Music

Ocean Colour Scene and The Verve were much better bands than Oasis or Blur.
Never got on with The Verve beyond the singles, must revisit Urban Hymns at some point.

The album before that, a northern soul, is better in my opinion.
I think Urban Hymns is a masterpiece with not a bad song on it. I properly got into music the year it came out (aged 12) so maybe that has something to do with it.

Belting out every word of their Glastonbury set when they reformed, with friends I've known since primary school, having thought I'd never see them live, was quite special.

I think Urban Hymns is a masterpiece with not a bad song on it. I properly got into music the year it came out (aged 12) so maybe that has something to do with it.

Belting out every word of their Glastonbury set when they reformed, with friends I've known since primary school, having thought I'd never see them live, was quite special.

I like Urban Hymns, just always preferred a northern soul, a bit less polished and a bit harder edged.

Jeff Buckley - Grace
Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World
Radiohead - Street Spirit
Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence
Fleetwood Mac - Dreams

30 years ago yesterday Oasis released their debut single Supersonic, which makes me feel f*****g ancient but might have a gin and tonic to commemorate it.

What I was listening to at 12 years old i think was whatever was on radio 1 or top of the pops at the time, so and was another year or so to get my first akai "walkman" and i could buy my own tapes and that was mainstream like Tears For Fear. Fair play for getting into the Verve at that age!

I did later on go on a Greek island holiday in 1997 and so on before ipods were invented (2001), so packed a cd-cassette player in my baggage and someone had Urban Hymns for us to listen to in our apartement / by the pool.

Last edited:
Most Loved (for today anyway)
Bowie - Five year
The Clash - Complete Control
Dylan - If you see her say hello or Don't think Twice it's alright (depending what day of the week it is)
The Wedding Present - Kennedy
Toots and the Martals - 54-46 that's my number

Most hated

Almost anything by Queen, Genesis, Led Zep, Michael Jackson
Everything by Coldplay
Ok, take two...

Richard and Lydia Thompson - A Heart needs a home.

Billy Bragg - It says here

The Mighty Wah - The story of the blues

New Order - Vietnam

Neil Young - Hey hey my my or My my hey hey.

Jeff Buckley - Grace
Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World
Radiohead - Street Spirit
Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence
Fleetwood Mac - Dreams
Jeff Buckly died too soon. Aa did his father Tim.
Both very talented

Don't forget 'The Macc Lads', again in the 80s, with lyrical gems like...

"Get your gob 'round me knob, Get your teeth 'round me beef, Get your lipsies 'round me titsies, Get your smackers 'round me knackers"
Eh up my luv, I’ve got a suggestion………

Oh, are we allowed a second go?

Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
The Doors - Five to One
Jefferson Airplane - Children of the Revolution or White Rabbit
Grateful Dead - Truckin'
Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil

Oh, are we allowed a second go?

Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
The Doors - Five to One
Jefferson Airplane - Children of the Revolution or White Rabbit
Grateful Dead - Truckin'