General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sarge may have missed it but do we know when the next full council meeting is where the club will be discussed and could that meeting decide to fully vote yay or nay?

I think most of it will be behind closed doors so to speak. There is no reason why anything should be in the public eye until the planning application is submitted. Them councillors may say nothing has been decided by that first vote but they are undermining the power of that first vote that was passed through. Its going to take alot to refuse this application with so many in favour and the amount of money it will bring to an economy when it looks very likely the country will enter a recession. The council would be mad not to approve this especially when it's costing them zilch!

Is there much to fear from this upcoming meeting? I imagine it's the same dissenting voices saying the same old things again. KPC won't have a major say in this.

There's not much to fear from CDWA alliance either. 87 followers on Twitter. Their statement even has a hint of defeat about it already. Be it that it would be a popular development or that they know that it'll go through from authorities higher up the food chain, there's a sense of resignation about it knowing that they can't fight this in the High Court.

As @OX14 says, they'd be better off engaging with it than fighting it. I still can't understand why a grass field with no ecological value is deemed better than a stadium development that has massive community value and - by law - has to improve biodiversity. If OUFC were clearing a forest, draining a marshland/lake or digging up a wildflower meadow, they may have a point to question the development on environmental grounds. As it is, any development will be an environmental improvement on what's there now.

As I've said before, alot of the opposition appears to be rooted in xenophobia, snobbery and sentimental ideology.

All of the above doesn't stop any of the universities, the hospitals, national housebuilders or the council building here. Oxfordshire has been crying out for a stadium we can be proud of and not only are OUFC board willing to fund the build they will also take on a land lease that is costing tax payers over £100k a year. Also the board are willing to develop the whole area at Stratfield Brake into community facilities and enhance the nature reserve and area to attract more wildlife. A green field as it is doesn't achieve anything except give the sports clubs that use it very poor facilities that were up to standard in 1999, time has moved on and so has technology but Kidlington's sporting facilities haven't. Its a shame its not on my doorstep!

Am I right I thinking Kidlington Parish Council are currently one of the tenants of Stratfield Brake who need to agree to have their lease cancelled?

I would imagine that one of the first questions asked of all the leaseholders and sub-lets, right back at the beginning of the search for a suitable location to build a new stadium was "Would you be willing to surrender your lease with due compensation and would you sign this piece of paper to that effect?".

Bit daft spending so much money if they didn't......

I would imagine that one of the first questions asked of all the leaseholders and sub-lets, right back at the beginning of the search for a suitable location to build a new stadium was "Would you be willing to surrender your lease with due compensation and would you sign this piece of paper to that effect?".

Bit daft spending so much money if they didn't......

Yes but leaseholders aren't going to come out and say give us the big brown envelope and hold up the white flag are they? When in the public eye they have to be seen to doing the right thing, but ultimately money talks.

Am I right I thinking Kidlington Parish Council are currently one of the tenants of Stratfield Brake who need to agree to have their lease cancelled?
I though it was Cherwell District council who lease Stratfield Brake from Ox County Council? ...... though Id guess Kidlington Parish council are a (small) part of what makes up Cherwell District Council

Yes from what I remember. They'll have significant costs to maintain the facilities as well and iirc Cherwell Council temporarily took on some of those costs. With money getting tighter, I doubt Cherwell Council will continue doing that as it is an easy saving for them.

I though it was Cherwell District council who lease Stratfield Brake from Ox County Council? ...... though Id guess Kidlington Parish council are a (small) part of what makes up Cherwell District Council

The Parish Council isn't part of Cherwell Council but they will work together.

The Parish Council isn't part of Cherwell Council but they will work together.

Yeh, the parish council run it on behalf of Cherwell district council, albeit at a huge loss so it costs cherwell district council money that is needed elsewhere. Add in the fact all the sports clubs on Stratfield Brake have been looking to move to a better location for the last few years it makes you wonder what the future of that site will be if OUFC don't get permission. With an already stretched council budget, and cost of living crisis it wouldn't be just that simple of just leave it as untouched green land, someone will likely have to pay and it will be more than likely council tax payers !

Yeh, the parish council run it on behalf of Cherwell district council, albeit at a huge loss so it costs cherwell district council money that is needed elsewhere. Add in the fact all the sports clubs on Stratfield Brake have been looking to move to a better location for the last few years it makes you wonder what the future of that site will be if OUFC don't get permission. With an already stretched council budget, and cost of living crisis it wouldn't be just that simple of just leave it as untouched green land, someone will likely have to pay and it will be more than likely council tax payers !
.... if OUFC dont get planning permission SB would very likely be flogged off to housing developers

County council own, cherwell lease and then sublet to kidlington and gosford and water eaton, all have to agree to waive leases in order for us to proceed. Then planning. It costs the two parishes circa 140K a year currently split 90/10 kidlington obviously being the larger. I have been told by the clerk that cherwell don't contribute to the running costs but I'm sure I've seen something in their minutes that they do.

Just been reading up on this. Cherwell DC lease it to Kidlington PC who sub lease it to the various sports clubs and the fencing company who all need to agree to give up their leases. I don't think this will be decided on Thursday (Exeter Hall, 7.30pm) but will get a sense of how likely they are to agree to that.

Hopefully a Kidlington resident on here or the Oxford Mail will be there to report on the meeting.

From GSWE April minutes
21/162 Planning Applications
OUFC – The clerk is meeting with CDC later this month regarding OUFC. We are expecting to receive
detailed plans from OUFC at some point soon for which councils can refer.
Over the last 9 years we have invested circa £120k in to Stratfield Brake and this continues at a running
cost circa £12-15k per year.
Parish Poll (Oxford United) – We need to discuss this in a later meeting in more detail.
Suggested that the council has a virtual meeting to discuss in more detail.
Cllr Clive Stayt / Cllr Neil Prestidge - OUFC Stakeholder representation for the council.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom