New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

They will probably just have a busses only policy for match days on the Oxford road. Similar to the stretch of road between Westgate and Carfax which works perfectly fine and allows for free and safe pedestrian movement.

Will probably just go down to, let's try it out and if there's no need to build a bridge then we won't.

They will probably just have a busses only policy for match days on the Oxford road. Similar to the stretch of road between Westgate and Carfax which works perfectly fine and allows for free and safe pedestrian movement.

Will probably just go down to, let's try it out and if there's no need to build a bridge then we won't.
I am.not sure that they are able to build a bridge.

You could find loads of other examples like that all over the country, we are talking about a partial closure of a road for a very short time, for a few occasions, its hardly blockading the Gaza Strip levels but you wouldn't know it from the reactions.

you can't the Kidlington bus to Oxford is the Oxford parkway bus& park & ride bus it's got to go down that road.... same as the 700 to headington & John Radcliffe hospital
When they say road closed it won’t mean for public transport and maybe even taxi companies.

Bit like Queen Street at the moment open to public transport and taxis but all other traffic banned.

If you look closely at the plans I see they have temporary bus stops in place for match days.

This must mean the road is open for busses

FOSB's anti stadium argument has essentially boiled down to this:

"A £100m investment into the local economy and Oxfordshire is not worth it if it means a road has to be closed for an hour or two once a fortnight".

And only during the football season.

No.

From Oxford buses can go into the park and ride site still. Buses from Kidlington can get into Oxford via Freize Way. I'd imagine there'll be a bus stop on the Freize Way side for fans to get off for the stadium and people can walk through to the train station from there. As fixtures are publishes we'll in advance people will know the days this'll take place.
a walk from frieze way to parkway, with suit cases if your old???
the 2 & 2a is the park & ride & Oxford parkway bus, your logic don't work I'm afraid...

A bridge, or underpass, will come with issues. Some people will be unable to manage steps or ramps, others will simply not wish to be delayed and will step off the kerb and cross the road as normal. Also, the segregation of home and away support would be nigh on impossible. So, cast aside the obvious problems of cost and logistical build and you have to say that a temporary closure of the road is the logical and safest way to allow folk to cross from Parkway/Water Eaton to the stadium.
My question to the planners is this; Which approach will those wishing to use the Water Eaton Park & Ride who arrive after the road closure use? Coming on the A34 (both directions) A40 and A44 will have to circumnavigate the stadium and approach from the Cutteslowe area - Banbury Road/Oxford Road. This is quite a diversion and for many that are unfamiliar with Oxford not an easy route (Think satnav directions and the sight of the stadium disappearing in one's rear view mirror!) There could also be a temptation to use Five Mile Drive as a cut through.
The solution could, maybe, be to use the Pear Tree Park & Ride and if the proposed "Shuttle Buses" come to fruition, on to the stadium without going near Oxford Road or Water Eaton. That would take a fair bit of communicating and again, those unfamiliar with Oxford might struggle. (Ok, the other answer is to arrive earlier, before the closure and enjoy the hospitality of the stadium which would be the Loungers choice)

As to the ridiculous suggestion from FoSB and cohorts that this amounts to a blockade of Kidlington, perhaps they should consider that this is all being done to reduce the use of private transport and to ensure the safety of those attending and, what they previously screamed in anguish, the need for anyone to park in their beloved village! In return they gain easy access to a state of the art sporting venue with hotel, restaurant, cafe and conference facilities, financial support for their existing sport facilities and teams/organisations and improved infrastructure with increased bus services and better access to Oxford via Parkway and Water Eaton. Not to mention employment and a boost to local business.

When they say road closed it won’t mean for public transport and maybe even taxi companies.

Bit like Queen Street at the moment open to public transport and taxis but all other traffic banned.

If you look closely at the plans I see they have temporary bus stops in place for match days.

This must mean the road is open for busses
exactly 👍

I am not sure that anything was ever 'promised'. Even Middleton, I believe has explained how difficult an underpass and bridge are from an engineering/ space perspective.

From a process perspective, I assume that the Council will work with the club to agree the best safety options for the roads.
The opposition on road closures may grow, but from a planning decision perspective I am.not sure that will may any different ( happy to be corrected from anybody who understands how these things work)
I actually think Ian Middleton would welcome the road closure, or certainly not speck out against it.
If this is now FOSB’s main focus, it’s probably also the point where Middleton and FOSB part company.

Back
Top Bottom