Home Match Build Up Oxford Fanatics - How can we help?

low roof helps too
There's loads of ingredients to a good atmosphere. Expecting everyone such as an 8 year old kid or 80 year old man to "sing their hearts out" is never going to happen. You need to find a way of grouping the "atmosphere makers" together, giving them the space and freedom to create something positive home and away, and also let those more casual fans, older fans, families, enjoy the atmosphere whilst not being stuck in a more "laddy" or hyper atmosphere than they want to be.

There's loads of ingredients to a good atmosphere. Expecting everyone such as an 8 year old kid or 80 year old man to "sing their hearts out" is never going to happen. You need to find a way of grouping the "atmosphere makers" together, giving them the space and freedom to create something positive home and away, and also let those more casual fans, older fans, families, enjoy the atmosphere whilst not being stuck in a more "laddy" or hyper atmosphere than they want to be.
This is absolutely correct. The trouble as we all know is any noise escapes so easily. Even the really loud away fans struggle to be heard

It's quite simple really, everybody just 🎶sing your hearts out for lads🎶. Age, sitting down, standing up ,what stand your in shouldn't make a scrap of difference.You create your own atmosphere,if you don't contribute don't complain.

I disagree, it's actually not simple because the conditions need to be right for a good atmosphere.
Not at all,we have not got the characters no more, to start it all like the London road had.i know the k****m is c**p but, like i said you create your own atmosphere. Oxford are just not fanatical enough no more. I can gaurentee if you put 10,000 Newcastle, Celtic, Napoli or even Pompey say into that stadium It would be rocking.

Not at all,we have not got the characters no more, to start it all like the London road had.i know the k****m is c**p but, like i said you create your own atmosphere. Oxford are just not fanatical enough no more. I can gaurentee if you put 10,000 Newcastle, Celtic, Napoli or even Pompey say into that stadium It would be rocking.
I am willing to give up my season ticket to see a bloke from Wycombe herd 10,000 Napoli fans into Stadio San Ox.

Read the thread further up. We had the characters to lead the singing, the old Ultras were growing into the hundreds, the atmosphere was rocking at some home games. The Celtic you mention granted the Green brigade their own unreserved safe standing area to allow them to keep growing at a time they had completely outgrown their section. Napoli have their own Ultra section.

We had the chance to keep it growing but it requires help along the way from the club, which wasn't provided like the clubs you claim would "get it rocking" (Pompey might want to start getting their home games rocking, place was a morgue on 2/3 visits).

I bet most German Ultras would get it rocking, but for one reason, the club would designate the East Stand as an unreserved Ultras stand and allow flags to be waved for 90 minutes etc. Case point of Frankfurt last night, completely outsung Rangers from start to finish, why? Rangers have a great atmosphere don't they?! Yes but when it is led by the Union Bears every game, you take them out and that's what happens, they were missing last night.

Meanwhile Frankfurt had helped organise their tickets to ensure their Ultras were front and centre leading the singing. Completely outsung Rangers for 90 minutes despite having 1/3 of the stadium.

Newcastle another one you mention, the same club who had an utterly toxic atmosphere for years under Mike Ashley, where the fans always came second.

The clubs you are in awe over are only in such a position because they are organised, usually fan owned in some capacity, or have fans and ex-ultras members at board level making decisions that benefit their fans and improve the atmosphere. This is a football culture elsewhere, and is something that needs to be embraced here, in England and hopefully with Oxford.

Read the thread further up. We had the characters to lead the singing, the old Ultras were growing into the hundreds, the atmosphere was rocking at some home games. The Celtic you mention granted the Green brigade their own unreserved safe standing area to allow them to keep growing at a time they had completely outgrown their section. Napoli have their own Ultra section.

We had the chance to keep it growing but it requires help along the way from the club, which wasn't provided like the clubs you claim would "get it rocking" (Pompey might want to start getting their home games rocking, place was a morgue on 2/3 visits).

I bet most German Ultras would get it rocking, but for one reason, the club would designate the East Stand as an unreserved Ultras stand and allow flags to be waved for 90 minutes etc. Case point of Frankfurt last night, completely outsung Rangers from start to finish, why? Rangers have a great atmosphere don't they?! Yes but when it is led by the Union Bears every game, you take them out and that's what happens, they were missing last night.

Meanwhile Frankfurt had helped organise their tickets to ensure their Ultras were front and centre leading the singing. Completely outsung Rangers for 90 minutes despite having 1/3 of the stadium.

Newcastle another one you mention, the same club who had an utterly toxic atmosphere for years under Mike Ashley, where the fans always came second.

The clubs you are in awe over are only in such a position because they are organised, usually fan owned in some capacity, or have fans and ex-ultras members at board level making decisions that benefit their fans and improve the atmosphere. This is a football culture elsewhere, and is something that needs to be embraced here, in England and hopefully with Oxford.
I know what your on about the ultras, my boy & his mates was part of them.
I can tell you that I'm not in awe of those teams mentioned.I'm still scratching my head, as to being organised at board & club level & whatnot. Surly it's the fans responsibility.Just bloody well sing.I can't believe Oxford are still singing a song I made up 40 odd years ago ,along with the help of a couple of mates.it is still being sung today& it's well outdated. We used to rip up newspapers up on a Friday night for tika tape on a Saturday,plus bog rolls😂😭.just don't get we all the we need help& permission.costs nothing to sing

I think people are over complicating things it's football, not the razamataz of American football.

I can tell you that I'm not in awe of those teams mentioned.I'm still scratching my head, as to being organised at board & club level & whatnot. Surly it's the fans responsibility.Just bloody well sing.I can't believe Oxford are still singing a song I made up 40 odd years ago ,along with the help of a couple of mates.it is still being sung today& it's well outdated. We used to rip up newspapers up on a Friday night for tika tape on a Saturday,plus bog rolls😂😭.just don't get we all the we need help& permission.costs nothing to sing
To bloody expensive nowadays to be ripping up newspaper and chucking toilet these things aren't cheap

To bloody expensive nowadays to be ripping up newspaper and chucking toilet these things aren't cheap
Haha we all could of ripped up all the green party leaflets they shoved through the doors for the local elections.

One of the issues has always been the desire to do more than is currently allowed by law. Pyrotechnics, flags (fire regs/poles) etc. The safety regulations have to be considered, both by the fans and the club. And, remember that the Kasstad is not property of the club to do with as they please. Granted, there was a period of some animosity where the application of regulations was done in a rather arbitrary manner with little regard for the feelings of fans but, those regulations were there and to just ignore them was not an option. And, the club has moved on and recognised the failings of recent times. A conversation with Niall McWilliams will prove that point.
The club has voiced it's desire to improve atmosphere and the Supporters Panel (treated with a fair bit of disdain by some on here) has sought to have a conversation with the club and, to that end has engaged with the Fanatics and the Yellow Army. The club has made an effort to facilitate and at the instigation of the panel, has sought to organise group ticketing for, initially, away matches.
It won't be quite so easy for home games. Existing season ticket holders should be given proper respect and not be expected to just "make way" for a grouping of fans. The Kasstad will not have safe standing installed.
It requires an effort from both sides to work together and make this happen. Frankly, I believe that without new impetus from the supporters little will change before the move to a new stadium. The songs being sung these days are just not inspirational. Expecting others to join in with some of the current offerings is just not going to happen. That the rest of the ground will join in has been proven on many occasion, just needs the right song and the right moment.
I would suggest that all those who feel they have something to offer, talk to the Supporters Panel. Get your ideas brought to the attention of the club. That's the whole idea of the panel, to channel ideas and thoughts from supporters and engage with the club in a constructive and meaningful manner.

One of the things I've been noticing more lately is the fans of other teams how many let of flares smoke bombs its happened all week in the play offs happened from both sets of fans in fa cup final Everton have been doing it more recently but there is never any sign of punishment

But as you must expect, some fans like to sing, others do not. The best atmospheres are when the fans who want to sing can all join up together without fuss, that's why away atmospheres are so much better but that's always been restricted at the current ground. It's also why the best atmospheres in Europe are well organised clubs and fanbases. In those glorious London Road days you just walk onto the terrace and stand with all your mates/fellow singers and belt out the songs you've made up. That simply isn't possible whilst season tickets are sold in certain areas, if I wanted to book tickets for 20/30 of my mates who all wanted to sing our hearts out for 90 mins we'd be spread all over the stand and the sound doesn't project.

If those 20/30 all wanted to bring a couple more mates each to join in to make it even better, what then? Something that can improve the atmosphere so easily is broken before its started. There are lots of fans who'll join in once it gets a little louder, it's totally natural to not want to sing loudly when others are silent around you. If the noise is loud though everyone is more comfortable to join in, that's why a louder central group is so essential.

Unreserved seating inside a block or two would be the best thing OUFC could do for the atmosphere, hands down. That's coming from someone who spent untold hours devoting his life to improving the atmosphere, with thousands of pounds spent in the process over so many years. Yes you lose a bit of capacity in the blocks, yes you might pee off a few ST holders etc, but that's the price you need to pay to sort out the atmosphere at the current ground. If they aren't willing to do it, I don't see much point ever trying to improve the atmosphere, it'll just be what it is until we move. And the Oxford Fanatics will provide some great displays and flags, but acoustically the atmosphere won't ever be much different.

Sadly this might even end up applying to the new ground if some big decisions aren't made. Although at least a new stadium won't have the issues of the wind tunnel and open end.

One of the things I've been noticing more lately is the fans of other teams how many let of flares smoke bombs its happened all week in the play offs happened from both sets of fans in fa cup final Everton have been doing it more recently but there is never any sign of punishment
Also pitch invasions loads in last few weeks.Didn't a young Oxford lad get banned & fined for just jumping over the wall to celebrate the late goal against Sheffield Wednesday.Got to admit it was standard years ago if you won a big cup match or promotion, plus last home game of the season. Can't see all those Forest fans getting banned .only1 definitely.

But as you must expect, some fans like to sing, others do not. The best atmospheres are when the fans who want to sing can all join up together without fuss, that's why away atmospheres are so much better but that's always been restricted at the current ground. It's also why the best atmospheres in Europe are well organised clubs and fanbases. In those glorious London Road days you just walk onto the terrace and stand with all your mates/fellow singers and belt out the songs you've made up. That simply isn't possible whilst season tickets are sold in certain areas, if I wanted to book tickets for 20/30 of my mates who all wanted to sing our hearts out for 90 mins we'd be spread all over the stand and the sound doesn't project.

If those 20/30 all wanted to bring a couple more mates each to join in to make it even better, what then? Something that can improve the atmosphere so easily is broken before its started. There are lots of fans who'll join in once it gets a little louder, it's totally natural to not want to sing loudly when others are silent around you. If the noise is loud though everyone is more comfortable to join in, that's why a louder central group is so essential.

Unreserved seating inside a block or two would be the best thing OUFC could do for the atmosphere, hands down. That's coming from someone who spent untold hours devoting his life to improving the atmosphere, with thousands of pounds spent in the process over so many years. Yes you lose a bit of capacity in the blocks, yes you might pee off a few ST holders etc, but that's the price you need to pay to sort out the atmosphere at the current ground. If they aren't willing to do it, I don't see much point ever trying to improve the atmosphere, it'll just be what it is until we move. And the Oxford Fanatics will provide some great displays and flags, but acoustically the atmosphere won't ever be much different.

Sadly this might even end up applying to the new ground if some big decisions aren't made. Although at least a new stadium won't have the issues of the wind tunnel and open end.
Hopefully the plans for Stratfield Brake already have a safe standing terrace, located behind one of the goals included - maybe even a double decker with the safe standing underneath - thus amplifying noise and atmosphere to the rest of the ground with a low roof over the safe standing ( unreserved) terrace/stand /area

here's hoping

Could the club not send out a survey and find out who would be for and who would be against having to blocks behind the goal as unreserved seating it might come back that people don't want to move or people might agree
Something else i noticed this week was Mansfield they have a group of singer's in the top tier in one of th stands instead of behind the goal now I thought this was quite a good idea because th roof is not so high

Surely if your stood/ sat down behind the goal, the east stand.your are more likely to be a singer.Thats why lots of people go there to replicate the old London road.Its always been tradition to sing behind the goal.There's also a fair few singers in the north stand

I'd have thought that anyone with a season ticket in the central blocks towards the back of the home end was already quite into the vocal side of things? It's not going to be full of old fuckers like me.

[Edit] MODS you need to update your spellcheck to bleep out 'f*****s'

Back
Top Bottom