International News Russian War With Ukraine

If Britain was still buying a huge amount of Russian and Coal and Gas, funding Putin's war machine, What would Big Ron and QR be saying? I'm simply highlighting rank hypocricy. Free pass to EU countries, hatred of the UK.
You're beginning to sound like Farage!

Not talking about the man though, I'm talking about the point he is making. Which I agree with. The west has a responsibility to starve Putin of money to continue this war.
The world has a responsibility.

Why not ask China to do their bit seeing as they consume so much from Russia🤷‍♂️

1649323843600.png

Just look at that MASSIVE increase in exports from Russia to China in the year leading up to the war (values in millions of US$). https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/exports-to-china

It's almost as if they were looking for a reliable partner to shift trad to in the knowledge that sanctions would come from the Western world once they started their illegal war:unsure:

Frankly, you are barking up the wrong tree and China will simply continue to displace any European/Western trade until they decide otherwise....and India are looking a pretty good bet too.

Until the two most populous nations on earth with among the biggest addictions to fossil fuels call out Russia war crimes fro what they are, then I think we might be pissing in the wind trying to apportion blame to the West for continuing to fund Putins war machine....

Not talking about the man though, I'm talking about the point he is making. Which I agree with. The west has a responsibility to starve Putin of money to continue this war.
The west also have a responsibility to provide energy for their countries, and allow people to have heat and power in their homes. Previous policy mistakes have definitely been made, but we are where we are. They’re clearly doing a hell of a lot to stop Putin’s war.

Why not ask China to do their bit seeing as they consume so much from Russia🤷‍♂️

View attachment 8598

Just look at that MASSIVE increase in exports from Russia to China in the year leading up to the war (values in millions of US$). https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/exports-to-china

It's almost as if they were looking for a reliable partner to shift trad to in the knowledge that sanctions would come from the Western world once they started their illegal war:unsure:

Frankly, you are barking up the wrong tree and China will simply continue to displace any European/Western trade until they decide otherwise....and India are looking a pretty good bet too.

Until the two most populous nations on earth with among the biggest addictions to fossil fuels call out Russia war crimes fro what they are, then I think we might be pissing in the wind trying to apportion blame to the West for continuing to fund Putins war machine....
I've brought up the China problem several times on here now. Why we seemingly refuse to talk about the China issue in the west is beyond me. Is it because we are addicted to cheap chinese goods? Lessons need to be learnt from dependence on Russia now and we must start weaning ourselves off of China.

However, two wrongs don't make a right. How would you feel as Ukrainian family, or soldier, fleeing to a country which is funding the war? It's insane.

I'how would you feel as Ukrainian family, or soldier, fleeing to a country which is funding the war? It's insane.

How would you feel fleeing into the chaos of a country where half of the population has been deprived of fuel overnight?

It's not as simple as you'd like it to be.

I've brought up the China problem several times on here now. Why we seemingly refuse to talk about the China issue in the west is beyond me. Is it because we are addicted to cheap chinese goods? Lessons need to be learnt from dependence on Russia now and we must start weaning ourselves off of China.

However, two wrongs don't make a right. How would you feel as Ukrainian family, or soldier, fleeing to a country which is funding the war? It's insane.
I would imagine that the 250,000+ refugees Germany has taken are very grateful for the assistance offered.

How would you feel fleeing into the chaos of a country where half of the population has been deprived of fuel overnight?

It's not as simple as you'd like it to be.
Still not allowed to criticise Germany's crazy energy policies that led to that dependence then?

View attachment 8598

Diverting supply elsewhere (China, India, Pakistan etc) from Europe for Russian Gas will be harder and take time as they don't have capacity in terms of pipelines. This is likely to change though over time assuming they'll have the resources/capacity/impact of sanctions to build the pipelines. But it will take quite a bit of time to replace the levels of Gas Europe has been purchasing.

It's better than nothing. France has been proven spot on by relying on Nuclear energy whilst Germany closed its plants.

Germany are apparently looking at restarting some of their nuclear power stations and polls have suggested this is acceptable to a majority. Don't know at what stage or if it is genuinely feasible though.

They are also looking at temporarily opening some old coal power stations as well. For me, this would have to be a last resort and for as short a time as possible. With renewable energy replacing it asap.

They are also looking at reducing speed limits (100km/h on the Autobahn iirc) to increase fuel economy for drivers and asking people to make individual efforts by turning down the Thermostat. This also appears to have public support.

Of course you are. I agree the policies were absolutely crazy.
The points from @MarkedOx above are very valid.

Germany needs to ramp-up it's Nuclear (and Europe as a whole). Europe also can hugely disrupt Russia by not buying it's oil and gas. To be fair Germany has "paused" the second pipeline from Russia to Germany.

Interestingly, Russia has been tactically removing the need to pump it's gas through Ukraine to Europe, which suggests planning for this war has been going on longer than we may think.

And they're not capable of simultaneously questioning why the country they've fled to funds Putin?
Of course they are, but I would imagine many will realise it's a complex historical situation - the Germans can't simply switch off the power and plunge themselves into an energy and economic crisis but they can start planning and implementing a Russian free future. The political clout wielded by the Greens adds to those problems relating to nuclear listed by Werthers above.

I note your view that Germany's energy policies were 'crazy', while our light touch (ie no touch at all) financial controls were an 'oversight'. Can I assume you pointing out these 'crazy' policies back in early February and indeed, before?

Germany are apparently looking at restarting some of their nuclear power stations and polls have suggested this is acceptable to a majority. Don't know at what stage or if it is genuinely feasible though.

They are also looking at temporarily opening some old coal power stations as well. For me, this would have to be a last resort and for as short a time as possible. With renewable energy replacing it asap.

They are also looking at reducing speed limits (100km/h on the Autobahn iirc) to increase fuel economy for drivers and asking people to make individual efforts by turning down the Thermostat. This also appears to have public support.
I've been hearing for a few years that they have been considering limits on the Autobahn - this seems like a convenient way to do it without facing public backlash. I would imagine there is (nationally speaking) almost no impact on fuel demand caused by autobahn driving.

Back
Top Bottom