International News Russian War With Ukraine

Of course they are, but I would imagine many will realise it's a complex historical situation - the Germans can't simply switch off the power and plunge themselves into an energy and economic crisis but they can start planning and implementing a Russian free future. The political clout wielded by the Greens adds to those problems relating to nuclear listed by Werthers above.

I note your view that Germany's energy policies were 'crazy', while our light touch (ie no touch at all) financial controls were an 'oversight'. Can I assume you pointing out these 'crazy' policies back in early February and indeed, before?
You can. I have always been a big advocate of Nuclear energy. We have to move away from coal and gas for various reasons, least of all the fact supplies come from undemocratic nations.

Our own country should be producing much more renewables too. Projects such as building a pipeline from the Shetlands to Scotland would be a much better use of government money than some of the things we are currently spending it on.

Nuclear energy can be classed as 'renewable' but brings its own problems - safety issues, cost, time to set up, plus no one has ever really worked out what to do with the waste.

Can I ask, are you professionally involved in the energy industry? As you seem focused on it.
I'm indirectly involved with renewables through work.

I've been hearing for a few years that they have been considering limits on the Autobahn - this seems like a convenient way to do it without facing public backlash. I would imagine there is (nationally speaking) almost no impact on fuel demand caused by autobahn driving.

Agreed on the Autobahn but that was the only detail they had. I suspect they'll lower it on other roads.

So Boris offers up eight nuclear power stations by 2050 - nearly 30 years even if timescales don't slip. What's the betting that come the next spending review, those eight become four and subsequently two.

Pity we can't use hot air to generate power.....

I might be less cynical about nuclear power stations if someone could

a) explain how to dispose properly* of the highly radioactive rubbish they create both during operation and at the time of decommission
b) reassure me that the costs of doing so are paid for by whichever private company is operating the power station and is paid down during the lifetime of the power station to avoid them disappearing/going bust at some time in the future before they have to fulfil those obligations and we have to pay for it
c) demonstrate that nobody in government is benefitting financially either now or in the future (by suddenly becoming a director or paid advisor for such companies when they leave office) from this decision.

*no, chucking it down a mine or into the sea where it can eventually leech out of whatever concrete they encase it in is not 'properly'

a) explain how to dispose properly* of the highly radioactive rubbish they create both during operation and at the time of decommission
b) reassure me that the costs of doing so are paid for by whichever private company is operating the power station and is paid down during the lifetime of the power station to avoid them disappearing/going bust at some time in the future before they have to fulfil those obligations and we have to pay for it
c) demonstrate that nobody in government is benefitting financially either now or in the future (by suddenly becoming a director or paid advisor for such companies when they leave office) from this decision.

*no, chucking it down a mine or into the sea where it can eventually leech out of whatever concrete they encase it in is not 'properly'
there was talk on a pseudo-political chat show the other night, one of the topics being the government plans to build new nuclear plants... it was said that developing a system that recycles/ reprocessed spent radioactive waste is 'only a few years away' .... I think it was one of our PM's lickspittle lackeys who imparted that gem ( in responses to a question on the subject of spent radioactive waste disposal), so the proverbial pinch of salt was taken with it

So Boris offers up eight nuclear power stations by 2050 - nearly 30 years even if timescales don't slip. What's the betting that come the next spending review, those eight become four and subsequently two.

Pity we can't use hot air to generate power.....
Or methane from the amount of bullshit spewed out.

A) If the majority are the Rolls Royce small reactors then the high level nuclear waste is actually quite small in quantity* which will help in finding safe storage. Old style Nuclear reactors will be a lot more relatively obviously.

Nuclear waste needs to be split as even Hospitals produce nuclear waste. I think you are referring to high level waste rather than low level waste.

It will need a brave political decision to build a storage facility in an area with the appropriate geological conditions rather than just fit it into an area that already has nuclear facilities/Storage facilities. Whilst logically West Cumbria would seem the place, the geology isn't suitable it appears and although they have been/are looking under the seabed off of West Cumbria I don't know if the geology is any different.

What would you suggest they do with the high level waste if not store it in a purpose built facility?

I don't know if this will help you:

Going off the links provides more detail such as looking at the Inventory website itself. Specifically on disposal/storage of waste:

And renewable energy has waste/production problems with batteries/turbine blades and the mining methods of rare minerals. None of them are perfect.

B) The Rolls Royce Small Reactors should have considerable reduced costs of decommissioning. I'd hope that the modern larger reactors will have decommissioning planning built in unlike the old reactors we originally built in this country. You'd hope the costs are built into the price paid when it is generating electricity so the company pays it but as it is this Govt negotiating currently who knows!

C) Again this Govt, who knows!

I think nuclear has to be part of the mix to provide certainty in supply as energy storage is nowhere near up to the task yet and as demonstrated recently, renewable supply is up and down in terms of generation. I'd prefer more of the Roll Royce small reactors around the country nearer the point of usage. But would settle for constellations of them on existing sites as a back up such as Sellafield etc.

*This comes from somebody in the industry.

Last edited:
I've brought up the China problem several times on here now. Why we seemingly refuse to talk about the China issue in the west is beyond me. Is it because we are addicted to cheap chinese goods? Lessons need to be learnt from dependence on Russia now and we must start weaning ourselves off of China.

However, two wrongs don't make a right. How would you feel as Ukrainian family, or soldier, fleeing to a country which is funding the war? It's insane.
FFS be consistent. One minute it's get out of the EU and trade more with other big trading nations (China) and the olde Commonwealth (India) and now it's weaning ourselves off the same.

I still don't know why solar panels are not mandatory on all new housing developments.
There should also be a higher level of insulation required by law so as to be far more energy efficient. But then the energy companies wouldn’t make as much money as we wouldn’t be using as much electric and gas, which means that they wouldn’t be as generous with their donations.

If there were a scheme that offered me a loan to fund taking my house off grid as outlined above, I would do it tomorrow.

Next door to EY Towers have recently finished their extension and installed a Tesla Powerwall 2 as part of said work.
Neighbour is a bit coy as to the price but suggests the house needs 2 or 3 of them and they are around £6k a lump.
Tesla also supplied his solar panels and the house batteries.

Probably looking at around £30k for a 4 bed house to be free from the electric grid, over time, I surmise there may be a feed in aspect (or not!) and they still cook on gas and have gas central heating!!! 🤷‍♀️

De Montfort Uni use ground source heat pumps to heat some of their student homes but I think even that is beyond the reach of most.... you are into having a horizontal array (subject to surface area you have) or 3 or 4 boreholes for a vertical array. Then a pump and possibly a new CH system.

Our 1930/1940s 4 bed semi is well insulated, roof, walls and double glazed throughout and the extension is to modern spec - weekly gas and electric is £13-£14 so nowhere near "excessive".

We would love to change to "off grid" but the cost far outweighs the desire.

I am theoretically able to take my house completely off the energy grid between solar panels, battery storage and replacing my boiler with a heat pump. The numbers all stack up in terms of roof space and electricity use etc. The hard part is paying for it.
Can you get a grant to be able to make this more affordable?

There should also be a higher level of insulation required by law so as to be far more energy efficient. But then the energy companies wouldn’t make as much money as we wouldn’t be using as much electric and gas, which means that they wouldn’t be as generous with their donations.

If there were a scheme that offered me a loan to fund taking my house off grid as outlined above, I would do it tomorrow.
This morning my wife said should we get solar panels to make electricity cheaper, I asked her how long she planned to live ...

I've brought up the China problem several times on here now. Why we seemingly refuse to talk about the China issue in the west is beyond me.
We don’t refuse to. Maybe you’re not hearing it for some reason? You seem to have a very reactive and binary view of issues.

Back
Top Bottom