Champions League Scousers v Real

Not that I particularly want to get dragged into this, but...

English fans had been doing similar all over Europe for years, look at the 1980 Euros for example. The same tragedy could have happened at any of them. Hysel was a delapidated stadium, and the crush occurred partly because of that when English and Italian fans clashed. Of course it was the innocent supporters who were caught in the middle and caused the tragic crush.

ALL fans who behaved like this leading up to 1985 had a part in the outcome, to say it was just Liverpool fans is whitewashing what went before of the highest order.

But it was Liverpool who did it and their response then and since has not been one of contrition to themselves, English football or the country they represent.

That’s my issue with them. What happened, happened. It could have been anyone but it just so happened to be Liverpool. Their response has been to say nothing. No doubt shame comes into it and I don’t expect them to be on their knees begging for forgiveness everyday but I do expect a ‘we’re sorry - it was our fans’ fault’ from the club. That’s never really occurred.

My feelings would be the same if it was Man United or Bognor Regis. You apologise for what is your fault and every mention of ‘crumbling stadiums’ and ‘police incompetence’ takes away from the seriousness of their appalling behaviour on the day. It impacted English football in a huge way and yet it’s become the forgotten tragedy, partly as a result of the silence from Liverpool.

Kick off delayed due to crowd incidents. We know whose fault it won’t be …

Here was me thinking that Camilla Cabello was Real Madrid’s sub goalkeeper.

Who makes decisions to have a pop star adored by tweenagers sing in front of a load of football fans?

Also plenty of footage with fans with tickets not being allowed in . Micheal Owen what a t**t though

Here was me thinking that Camilla Cabello was Real Madrid’s sub goalkeeper.

Who makes decisions to have a pop star adored by tweenagers sing in front of a load of football fans?
Wait until the half time entertainment……….😉

Not confusing it at all.

#Remember97 (thanks for the update on numbers @unification ) that Liverpool use to recognise those that died at Hillsborough.

#Remember86 is what @Essexyellows used to blame Liverpool for the European football ban.

He is the one that linked the two by making a cheap and unnecessary comment that is as pathetic as he is.

Some Liverpool fans were very clearly responsible for the deaths at Heysel. But this was an accident waiting to happen in old, crumbling stadiums and thousands of hooligans intent on violence. It happened during a European Cup final in Belguim, It could have just as easily happened at the Manor or countless grounds throughout this country and all through Europe. Millwall and Luton fans rioted just months before and a police was almost killed when struck on the head by a lump of concrete before being revived in the stands. A kid died at Birmingham when a wall collapsed after rioting. The Bradford fire killed so many because fans were caged in following previous acts of violence. There had been violence in Spain during the 1982 world cup, and virtually every European game of that era had rioting british fans. The ban was waiting to happen and it could have just as easily happened to Norwich or Oxford in the preceeding years had they got to compete.
Is that right? I thought it was their main stand and didn’t have fencing - a bit like the Beech Road stand.

Is that right? I thought it was their main stand and didn’t have fencing - a bit like the Beech Road stand.
Bradford stand didn't have a fence. Most of the deaths occurred behind the stands at the turnstiles which were locked and unmanned.

First time I’ve watched BT Sport, commentary is just too painful to listen to. My ears are hurting.

Can't believe the goal didn't stand, surely VAR could see the ball clearly being passed to Benzema by a Liverpool player...

The ref who is with BT has explained it wasn’t a pass so he was off side
So I heard, but he ignored the deliberate playing of the ball by the first Liverpool defender which caused the ricochet off the knee of the second. Referees Union in that answer.

Back
Top Bottom