Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his value has dropped over the last year and I would be surprised if a club would be prepared to meet our valuation. People talk of 2-3 million, which is cloud cuckoo land in my opinion.
Sounds like there would be a job for you on our boards negotiating team.

I have to say that despite all of the "should he stay or should he go" talk, I don't actually think that a deal is likely.

I don't think Bristol City will offer the money we would want for him, and I don't think that Cam would get offered the sort of contract thar he would want. He is already being paid significantly more than Mark Sykes for example.

Bristol City will have paid less than a million for Rob Dickie even once various additional clauses have been included. And although Cam is a goal scoring midfielder on a long contract, and that has a higher premium than your average centre back, Dickie has 120+ Championship games under his belt.

So I'm not sure that we'll see much beyond paper talk.

Rumours it's 1.2 million and more like £15,000 plus bonuses wages so who knows.

I think it’s a bit premature to write him off when he’s been playing out of position. I’d prefer a strong defensive midfielder to come in to release him to play as an attacking midfielder. He’s still a square peg in a round hole.
Is he? He seems more of an all purpose energetic midfielder to me, not a ‘number 10’.

Bristol have loads from Scott’s sale, 3 million for CB is good for both clubs we should be able to find a replacement for 1 million and have the cash for a striker and wingbacks

Why exactly 'should' we be able to sell a player and bring in an adequate replacement at exactly a third of the price?

Why doesn’t every team simply do this?

Rumours it's 1.2 million and more like £15,000 plus bonuses wages so who knows.
Sounds more realistic than £3 million!

He’ll still be worth that sort of transfer fee in Jan, so I’d only be selling him if it meant we could sign players that would make us stronger now. I’d expect those to be players the board think we couldn’t sign without getting a fee in for Cam / saving his wages etc.

I agree that he hasn’t quite looked like himself recently, but I think people are still underestimating what he is likely to do for us this season.

Definitely an interesting couple of transfer window weeks coming up..

I have to say that despite all of the "should he stay or should he go" talk, I don't actually think that a deal is likely.

I don't think Bristol City will offer the money we would want for him, and I don't think that Cam would get offered the sort of contract thar he would want. He is already being paid significantly more than Mark Sykes for example.

Bristol City will have paid less than a million for Rob Dickie even once various additional clauses have been included. And although Cam is a goal scoring midfielder on a long contract, and that has a higher premium than your average centre back, Dickie has 120+ Championship games under his belt.

So I'm not sure that we'll see much beyond paper talk.
The landscape changes somewhat when you raise £20m overnight, though. They're a different proposition now and will know they face a shake down from selling clubs and agents for anything they do in the next 3 weeks, unless all parties want it equally as they would here. I think Brannagan would jump at the chance to go there, we'd like the chance to sell and on the basis this should be quite a quick and easy deal to get done, they may see his wage as a small price to pay for convenience. Maybe I'm simplifying it all too much but you get the point.

Why exactly 'should' we be able to sell a player and bring in an adequate replacement at exactly a third of the price?

Why doesn’t every team simply do this?
If we get top money for him I would say we could get someone just the same if not better for 1 million yes he’s not the player before his eye injury

The more I've thought about it, the more I actually feel like I would be in favour of Cam going (for the right fee).

I don't think he's been that effective for a while - certainly I don't think he's performed at a level that is literally irreplaceable for about 18 months now - and (although we obviously have less insight and interest in this as fans) his wages are pretty ludicrous for a League One midfielder who very rarely, if ever, dominates games in the way the very best at this level can do. Getting them off the books and getting Manning funds to put together more of the team he wants to put out would probably be a net benefit for the club.

I also think it would be quite a nice symbolic end of The Robinson Era. When we look back on the period of Robinson's tenure, I feel the player we will most associate with it will probably be Cameron Brannagan (alongside maybe Henry and Taylor). (Some nice irony there too in it being him who effectively ended it with his interview after Gas at home.) He's been pretty central to the team and the club for much of the last 3/4 years. Having him move on would quite neatly give the optics of, this is a new manager, this is a new team; it's fresh start.

Well there were finer players than those two but don’t get me wrong they are both quality players
I also missed out on our “golden generation” if you like, so who would you say is the best player you’ve seen in an Oxford shirt?

Time for some serious hard negotiations and maximising the value for CB. Other clubs in our division do it all the time. Peterborough a great example and even Exeter seemed to have cottoned on to the fact that quality league one players don’t come cheap. Take £1.5m minimum and ideally north of that.

Some are saying it frees his wage up (which it obviously does) and we get a decent fee, so should allow us to make some quality further additions. Yet according to what we’ve been told there is still plenty of money available to bring players in and for wages from the unused available budget. Therefore whether Cam stays or goes shouldn’t make a huge difference to our plans, or does it?
Thats the crux of it. If the budget the size of last season, why has there not been better use of it?
The window started like an episode of supermarket sweep, the slowed down to clown pace, just as the players in specific places were needed
I dont doubt there is a reasonable budget, but the size of last season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom