National News Who next

The population has increased by more than 10 million since the mid 60`s.

Who will pay for the "decent living wage" ?

The alleged real terms pay cut in the public sector "forgets" to add in increments that PS employees get as well as the cost of living pay rise.

Employers can pay so our Govt doesn't subsidise their output with benefits. Saves the Govt money as well.

I'll further concur with Ste's point as well.

Do those increments cover the many years of pay freezes (from austerity onwards) and below inflation increases?

Edit: So are you saying over 20% of the 10m population increase are using Trussell Trust foodbanks?

I would say it's a Government societal failure more than an economic one - the decline/demise of taught Home Economics in schools was/is an unmitigated disaster.

If you have lived your early life as a hungry kid you learn from it, if you are a decent person you share that knowledge.*

*awaits inevitable abuse for sharing life experiences as the child in a one-parent family when there weren`t any foodbanks and neighbours shared/chipped in :rolleyes:

Shouldn't make a difference. Processed food from Iceland, Lidl, Aldi and the like are dirt cheap. Plus fresh ingredients like meat, veg, butter, flour sunflower oil etc all cost money too. Money that the poorest members of society just don't have thanks to twelve years of fiscal mismanagement by the Tories.

I think she mentioned the USA, Canada and Japan? Not sure though

Yeah, Japan's debt is through the roof. As a percentage of GDP, they're above 250% - which is way more than any other country, other than a few basket case states like Venezuela.

Britain actually ranked somewhere in the early 30s on Debt-to-GDP ratio; lower than the USA, Canada, France, Italy & Spain amongst others.......

Yeah, Japan's debt is through the roof. As a percentage of GDP, they're above 250% - which is way more than any other country, other than a few basket case states like Venezuela.

Britain actually ranked somewhere in the early 30s on Debt-to-GDP ratio; lower than the USA, Canada, France, Italy & Spain amongst others.......

I may be misremembering but isn't a lot of Japanese debt owned by their own citizens?

I may be misremembering but isn't a lot of Japanese debt owned by their own citizens?

Not really, I don't think.

Almost half of Japanese debt is owned by the Bank of Japan. They went a bit nuts with the quantitative easing at the beginning of the 21st century.

Honestly, when I start thinking too much about the macroeconomics of that, my head starts to hurt. So I don't.

Whoah, it's just 000's on a spreadsheet when the government P**s it up against a wall, but when it's to be spent on something that will make a difference suddenly you are worried about who is paying?

They take the 0000`s off someone to give it someone else. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

I`m in the Preserve my Zero`s Society. :)

Donโ€™t worry about money - as Liz has said we can just borrow whatever we want, and as other countries have more debt than us itโ€™s fine!!!

That's taking the "Zero`s on Spreadsheets" message to the extreme..... she obviously reads this forum.

Not really, I don't think.

Almost half of Japanese debt is owned by the Bank of Japan. They went a bit nuts with the quantitative easing at the beginning of the 21st century.

Honestly, when I start thinking too much about the macroeconomics of that, my head starts to hurt. So I don't.
Depends if your Keynesian or Classical methinks.

I hate the way that some on here point out that they were poor growing up in the 60s&70s and use it as an excuse to be an a**e about it now.

For the record football at our level is and was a working manโ€™s game, therefore most of us will have a hard luck story growing up.

Your past isnโ€™t a ticket to tell others how they should live it should have given you the insight to understand what theyโ€™re going through rather than put a stupid emoji on that points out how little you care for anyone still in that position.

I hate the way that some on here point out that they were poor growing up in the 60s&70s and use it as an excuse to be an a**e about it now.

For the record football at our level is and was a working manโ€™s game, therefore most of us will have a hard luck story growing up.

Your past isnโ€™t a ticket to tell others how they should live it should have given you the insight to understand what theyโ€™re going through rather than put a stupid emoji on that points out how little you care for anyone still in that position.

Or suggesting how people should take opportunities to improve their lot, live a better life, and how people can now access higher education to further their career and earning potential.

Yep, your right poor people should know their place and stay there I`m sorry for seeing and taking opportunities that were there for many.

And you tell the kids today that and they won't believe you. ;)

Or suggesting how people should take opportunities to improve their lot, live a better life, and how people can now access higher education to further their career and earning potential.

Yep, your right poor people should know their place and stay there I`m sorry for seeing and taking opportunities that were there for many.
Well the cap certainly fits.

Opportunity may well have presented itself to you.
are you suggesting that the same opportunity and dare I say it ability to spot and grasp these same opportunities are available to everyone?

People are equally intelligent, good looking, cunning????

Sadly as ever you miss the point.

Well the cap certainly fits.

Opportunity may well have presented itself to you.
are you suggesting that the same opportunity and dare I say it ability to spot and grasp these same opportunities are available to everyone?

People are equally intelligent, good looking, cunning????

Sadly as ever you miss the point.

There is "opportunity" for everyone, it's what makes this country what it is.

Exactly what that opportunity is, and how great the opportunity is, is often decided/defined by luck and birth and what the individual does about it.

We are all different so all any government can do is make it a decent average for the majority.

There is "opportunity" for everyone, it's what makes this country what it is.

Exactly what that opportunity is, and how great the opportunity is, is often decided/defined by luck and birth and what the individual does about it.

We are all different so all any government can do is make it a decent average for the majority.

If you genuinely think that there is opportunity for everyone then your world must be some rose tinted colour and you should change your glasses.

Spain has been on the brink for decades. Friend of mine has lived out there for a few decades and says it is really desperate. Views echoed by his Spanish accountant who I have to liaise with on occasion.

Really donโ€™t think increasing debt any further is the way to go, likewise with reducing corporation tax.

I think I saw somewhere that a 5% VAT rate cut would cost the same as reducing CT to 15%. I would rather see the VAT cut if we did anything (cost about ยฃ34 billion I think)

Somehow we need to get the economy moving, control inflation, give people more money in their pocket to help with the cost of living and at the same time address the financial baggage from the huge Covid spend.

And all the while keeping everyone happy ๐Ÿ™‚.

Quite a conundrum in desperate need of a magician. I wonder if RS or LT are members of the magic circle.

Back
Top Bottom