National News Who next

This is what the next PM and future PMs need to be looking at:

And maybe increasing/improving those 'opportunities' that EY talks about. For me in the medium to long term investment is needed in education throughout the system, certainly up to further education. As part of that, the question has to be what the country wants/needs the education system to provide and how.

I'd prefer this to be a cross party thing but I sadly doubt that would ever happen.

I'm having the displeasure of watching this shite debate - is the moderator actually going to moderate or just let Rishi Sunak talk for an hour?

"I come from an immigrant family that didn't have much. I'm just like you"

"Yeah well I went to a comprehensive school and my parents were lefties. I'm just like you"

And Rishi's advice for tackling environmental breakdown - recycling 🤡

Perhaps Boomers are benefiting from inheritances that don’t have any where enough tax on their undeserved bounty?

Perhaps Boomers are benefiting from inheritances that don’t have any where enough tax on their undeserved bounty?

40% over a £325k threshold (£500k if you are ahead of the game) is pretty hefty.

"I come from an immigrant family that didn't have much. I'm just like you"

"Yeah well I went to a comprehensive school and my parents were lefties. I'm just like you"

And Rishi's advice for tackling environmental breakdown - recycling 🤡

Couldn’t even bring myself to watch that shite fest last night.

Pretty obvious it was all rhetoric B*****s. A bit like KS this morning on breakfast.

Undeserved ?
how about unearned then?
Boomers have benefited from buying their own houses relatively cheaply, and are inheriting their parents' houses which quite possibly have also seen vast increases in value. They are possibly in gold plated final salary pension schemes too. However, there is the issue of care home fees which will eat into those inheritances.
This is a huge lump of voters who perhaps don't see themselves as rich, but who Labour can't roll back the tax thresholds on these unearned inheritance gains, as it will be a simple decision of which way to vote depends on how it affects their back pocket.

• React
Reactions: QR
Technically up to £1 million if married/widowed and Will is efficient etc.

And no IHT if you are ahead of the game 🙂
No IHT - how exactly? Asking for a friend with elderly parents who've done alright :)

No IHT - how exactly? Asking for a friend with elderly parents who've done alright :)
🙂

The art of gifting assets and making habitual gifts out of regular income that you don't necessarily need or rely on. If you do this for friends and family when you are younger, fitter and likely to last a full 7 years from date of gift, it is an essential element of estate planning.

Of course, not easy if there is a reliance on all personal income or holding onto assets, but for those that can and are willing to give away stuff or downsize to help the next generation, it is a no brainer.

Plan early, plan healthy, keep ahead of the game 😉

how about unearned then?
Boomers have benefited from buying their own houses relatively cheaply, and are inheriting their parents' houses which quite possibly have also seen vast increases in value. They are possibly in gold plated final salary pension schemes too. However, there is the issue of care home fees which will eat into those inheritances.
This is a huge lump of voters who perhaps don't see themselves as rich, but who Labour can't roll back the tax thresholds on these unearned inheritance gains, as it will be a simple decision of which way to vote depends on how it affects their back pocket.

No question there is a generation who never had it so good.

Remember also the right to buy act by Maggie. Millions of homes literally given away to those in council houses and who are now themselves reaping the benefits of home ownership and the chance to pass something of value onto the next generation. Something they may never have been able to do.

I am sure there are many of this generation who have offspring who are struggling and who would prefer to pass it down the line rather than have it taxed away. 40% of an estate that has in many cases accumulated out of already taxed income is pretty steep.

Last edited:
how about unearned then?

You mean Labour would avoid making such a decision because its not a vote winner.

This all sounds very familiar in the world of politics, which is why nothing really ever changes.

🙂

The art of gifting assets and making habitual gifts out of regular income that you don't necessarily need or rely on. If you do this for friends and family when you are younger, fitter and likely to last a full 7 years from date of gift, it is an essential element of estate planning.

Of course, not easy if there is a reliance on all personal income or holding onto assets, but for those that can and are willing to give away stuff or downsize to help the next generation, it is a no brainer.

Plan early, plan healthy, keep ahead of the game 😉

Indeed ^^^ all this.

The hardest part is the "lasting 7 years" planning, which can leave some latent pain, in the form of a bill, if one`s appointment with the Grim Reaper is brought forward.

Back
Top Bottom