National News Who next

28 million households in the UK.
4 million households on prepaid meters.
People are on prepaid for a reason - they can`t/won`t budget (the reasons behind that are myriad).

Timely reminder that we live in a deprived postcode..... these blocks are less than 1/2 mile away so lived experience doesn`t make it "out of sight".
View attachment 9564

Maybe take a look at Shells' profit/loss over time, you`ll be less frothy for it.
Of course, it's the fault of poor people. Knew we'd get there in the end.

Of course, it's the fault of poor people. Knew we'd get there in the end.

Where did I mention "the fault of poor people?"
There are people that struggle with life in general and the reasons are far, far more complex than simply being "poor".
Fairly often it is their choices/struggle(s) that lead to poverty, debt etc.
If you lack education, family support, have drink/drug issues, criminal record, etc then it is likely you will not be able to get or keep a job, and that can stay with you from the cradle to the grave.

And those people are far more likely to have a prepayment meter. 🤷‍♀️

Where did I mention "the fault of poor people?"
There are people that struggle with life in general and the reasons are far, far more complex than simply being "poor".
Fairly often it is their choices/struggle(s) that lead to poverty, debt etc.
If you lack education, family support, have drink/drug issues, criminal record, etc then it is likely you will not be able to get or keep a job, and that can stay with you from the cradle to the grave.

And those people are far more likely to have a prepayment meter. 🤷‍♀️

9f72acf0889c00159087106a2376dc2a.jpg

That'll be the part where you blamed poor people.

It's a classic Tory trick that, blame the poorest in society. They hate people without money.

Not at all, I`m blaming what has happened to them in their lives.
That can happen at any time, from poor parenting as a kid, lack of education, life choices after leaving school and so it goes on to old age.
It's a well-known cycle that creates life problems that leads to poverty/deprivation, it's how to fix it that is the real problem.
I`m 100% in favour of the equivalent of Sure Start centres, youth clubs etc but "politics" (national and local) spends all its time & energy pointing at others saying "It's their fault this is closing" rather than finding solutions.
It's things like that which will improve everyone's life so the initial cost is a future investment in less crime, more tax revenue, etc.
Then have a form of National Service (non-military) for youngsters that aren`t going to Uni or work so they learn about their part in society.

Maybe my "Socio-conservative-Taliban Party" has legs................ :)

Nothing to do with Tories being funded by firms making huge profits by exploiting low paid workers then.

To fix it is simple. Increase corporation tax, making it more attractive for firms to reinvest their profits in their workforce rather than pay the taxman. But a Tory Government cant do that because the firms that back them want to increase their own wealth rather than level the increasing poverty divide in this country - you know like a third world country. They will of course say that it would deter inward investment but they brought in Brexit which is the single biggest deterrent to inward investment in british history so that argument isnt going to fly. You could also reduce income tax and/or VAT to redress the balance if necessary.

• React
Reactions: QR
Nothing to do with Tories being funded by firms making huge profits by exploiting low paid workers then.

To fix it is simple. Increase corporation tax, making it more attractive for firms to reinvest their profits in their workforce rather than pay the taxman. But a Tory Government cant do that because the firms that back them want to increase their own wealth rather than level the increasing poverty divide in this country - you know like a third world country. They will of course say that it would deter inward investment but they brought in Brexit which is the single biggest deterrent to inward investment in british history so that argument isnt going to fly. You could also reduce income tax and/or VAT to redress the balance if necessary.

How does that help those who don`t work, or are working part-time in the local newsagent/chip shop/factory on NMW?
The amount they receive from reduced IT or VAT would be negligible.

As a nation ( in the past 20 years), our investment and productivity record is poor compared to many of the other larger economic nations.
I think that there should be a reductions in Corporstion Tax based on significant additional investments. So not a blanket reduction in Corporation Tax but targeted reliefs.
With our huge debt, the need for more money for the NHS/ Social care, we need economic growth

As a nation ( in the past 20 years), our investment and productivity record is poor compared to many of the other larger economic nations.
I think that there should be a reductions in Corporstion Tax based on significant additional investments. So not a blanket reduction in Corporation Tax but targeted reliefs.
With our huge debt, the need for more money for the NHS/ Social care, we need economic growth
given that UK corporation tax is in the lowest 20% of countries in the world, even Luxemburg has a higher rate, what effect do you really think it will have?

Did you even read what I wrote?

Yep, and saw the bit about corp tax and reinvesting in the workforce................ how will that help the person on NMW or working part-time in a newsagent/independent shop?
As for VAT - a cut aids those who consume "luxuries" (Vat-able items) but nobody who consumes basics (like food).

I mean, I'm no Tory - but isn't this exactly what Sunak proposed in 2021, and is still planning to apply in 2023 if he wins? The first chancellor to do so since 1974?

And it's what Truss is planning to roll back because she lives in a land of fantasy economics where she can cut taxes across the board and maintain the same level of spending and it will all be magically all OK?

I mean, I'm no Tory - but isn't this exactly what Sunak proposed in 2021, and is still planning to apply in 2023 if he wins? The first chancellor to do so since 1974?

And it's what Truss is planning to roll back because she lives in a land of fantasy economics where she can cut taxes across the board and maintain the same level of spending and it will all be magically all OK?

Not maintain the same level of spending but increasing as defence spending up to 3%, increasing Border Guards and reintroducing the Northern Powerhouse rail programme (admittedly this is more capital).

Yep, and saw the bit about corp tax and reinvesting in the workforce................ how will that help the person on NMW or working part-time in a newsagent/independent shop?
As for VAT - a cut aids those who consume "luxuries" (Vat-able items) but nobody who consumes basics (like food).
Ill give you a clue - independents pay corporations tax too. Plus, supply and demand economics and freedom of labour

Yes. And we wonder why Truss is suddenly favourite to get the job despite being an utter loon and more wooden than Pinocchio.

Ill give you a clue - independents pay corporations tax too. Plus, supply and demand economics and freedom of labour

Only if they are a limited company not if they are a sole trader or partnership.
We are currently experiencing supply & demand in the labour market and some (@QR ) want us to import more CHEAP labour.

Never cuts both ways.

Prices have increased globally - the same markets where Shell et al buy and sell their stock.
There is no sentiment in business when it comes to profit. [emoji2368]

As for your "so cold" froth.............
We pay the same per month in Summer as in Winter.
We build up credit, by using less fuel in Spring, Summer & Autumn, so when Winter arrives it balances out.
Doesn`t everyone do the same?
Used to be called living within your means.

Do you understand the difference between paying ÂŁ100 a month when your annual bill is ÂŁ1200. And paying ÂŁ100 a month when your annual bill could be ÂŁ3000.
You “build up credit” during the summer , and in the winter you get a f*****g huge increase when the rates are higher.

But still if you’ve got an unearned inheritance to soften the blow it probably doesn’t matter.

• React
Reactions: QR
Only if they are a limited company not if they are a sole trader or partnership.
We are currently experiencing supply & demand in the labour market and some (@QR ) want us to import more CHEAP labour.

Never cuts both ways.

Sorry you’ve lost me, how does this prove that increasing corporation tax in a time of a cost of living crisis and extreme corporation profits wouldn’t work?

Amongst the blue meat policies being wheeled out by candidates is a ban on building on green belt. Could make the stadium a problem.

It’s obvious and natural (but not good) that, when corporations have just so, so much money, they are able to spend millions lobbying and buying off politicians, and then surprise surprise the big newspapers and prominent Tory politicians support deregulation and corporation tax cuts - for the good of the economy, of course, not because it allows the rich people with all the money and influence to stay that way.

What always surprises me is how many poor worker drones fall for it and think that somehow if you made them pay a little more in tax they’d all leave and we’d be wandering around in a wasteland.

Back
Top Bottom