National News Who next

(from The Guardian)

Simon Hoare, the chair of the Northern Ireland select committee, tweeted that it was “utterly utterly tasteless. Crass and tasteless. Below the dignity of office … Remembering, with respect, our fallen colleagues David Amess and Jo Cox. The injured Stephen Timms. I will just leave it there.”

Thanks for stating the obvious. But shouldn't Truss be very rapidly distancing herself from Mad Nad?

Last edited:

(from The Guardian)

Simon Hoare, the chair of the Northern Ireland select committee, tweeted that it was “utterly utterly tasteless. Crass and tasteless. Below the dignity of office … Remembering, with respect, our fallen colleagues David Amess and Jo Cox. The injured Stephen Timms. I will just leave it there.”

Thanks for stating the obvious. But shouldn't Truss be very rapidly distancing herself from Mad Nad?

Just another example of wondering what really goes on in the heads of politicians sometimes.

I mean who, with any sense of reason, would consider this to be acceptable.

Talk is interest rates will rise by 1/2% on Thursday to 1.75% Apparently seven of the committee will vote for the rise.
If US do the same it looks like we will follow next month with similar. Unless inflation starts to slow, 3 to 4% is on the cards by the end of the year.
Looking increasingly like Sunak in no10 will only be for visiting purposes.
If Truss does become PM it will be interesting to see whom she appoints as chancellor. I would suspect Simon Clarke who is chief Secretary to the Treasury will get it. Can’t see Sunak as Foreign Secretary, maybe Employment job.
I would imagine Dominic Raab may have a more influential role too. Defence Secretary maybe.
The candidates who lost in the leadership battle will also be posturing too

Talk is interest rates will rise by 1/2% on Thursday to 1.75% Apparently seven of the committee will vote for the rise.
If US do the same it looks like we will follow next month with similar. Unless inflation starts to slow, 3 to 4% is on the cards by the end of the year.
Looking increasingly like Sunak in no10 will only be for visiting purposes.
If Truss does become PM it will be interesting to see whom she appoints as chancellor. I would suspect Simon Clarke who is chief Secretary to the Treasury will get it. Can’t see Sunak as Foreign Secretary, maybe Employment job.
I would imagine Dominic Raab may have a more influential role too. Defence Secretary maybe.
The candidates who lost in the leadership battle will also be posturing too
Why does Dominc (does Dover matter?) Raab get assigned anything more difficult than making tea? - even that would seem to be outside his comfort zone 🤷‍♂️

Nothing will change, Years of Tory control have brough, through design all of our services to their knees.
Our system is corrupt and broken to the core . The rich get richer the poor get poorer. Both of the candidates have been banging on about funding the NHS & education this weekend then they both have been part of a massive decline in funding for both. Nothing will change.

Indee
Nothing will change, Years of Tory control have brough, through design all of our services to their knees.
Our system is corrupt and broken to the core . The rich get richer the poor get poorer. Both of the candidates have been banging on about funding the NHS & education this weekend then they both have been part of a massive decline in funding for both. Nothing will change.
Indeed. What do the Tory sheep believe will be the consequence of the fabled 'tax cuts'?

• React
Reactions: QR
I’m not so sure Starmer will win the next election, as he has failed to take advantage of all the issues at the moment. The sacking of his shadow cabinet colleague haven’t helped him much as the unions are looking to put in less money to the Labour party funds.
Sunak is a disaster. Telling us to tighten our belts whilst he has a new swimming pool installed. The guy really is an a**e

Just do what the last Labour lot did and leave a note................. ;)

A pragmatic conservative (small c) realises you can`t have improved or functioning public services without paying for it.

The issue, for me, is how the money is spent and what it is spent on and the lack of sensible/different ideas at the moment.

So Rishi suggests a £10 "fine" for missing a GP appointment............ jeez man you`ll struggle to get one let alone miss it!
Who will administer it? And how?
Great idea but unenforceable and the cost of collecting will vastly outweigh the "fine".
Cloud cuckoo stuff.

If this is the best our politicians can come up with irrespective of rosette colour I weep for the future.

I’m not so sure Starmer will win the next election, as he has failed to take advantage of all the issues at the moment. The sacking of his shadow cabinet colleague haven’t helped him much as the unions are looking to put in less money to the Labour party funds.
Sunak is a disaster. Telling us to tighten our belts whilst he has a new swimming pool installed. The guy really is an a**e

From the Guardian

The Tories may do the job for Labour if the Kippers* continue moving the Tories even more right wing. The Tory Party is looking a bit like Labour was with Momentum at one stage but this is happening in a quieter way as it isn't getting banged on about so much in the press (but it is getting mentioned). The Tory Party is getting taken over at a constituency level (from the bits I've read) by the Kipper end of the spectrum which isn't good for the Tories or politics in general. I wonder if the Times or similar more moderate part of the Tory press will start highlighting the dangers this poses.

*Just a shorthand instead of 'the more right wing Tories (eg. ERG)'

Last edited:
No election is ever cut and dry and all parties will have to fight like hell. As in all previous elections the popular press will play a significant role. The right wing press has almost already crowned Truss! What's true of Starmer is that he's playing the long game something Truss could learn from as she's going to fall flat on her face once she's PM.

Just do what the last Labour lot did and leave a note................. ;)

A pragmatic conservative (small c) realises you can`t have improved or functioning public services without paying for it.

The issue, for me, is how the money is spent and what it is spent on and the lack of sensible/different ideas at the moment.

So Rishi suggests a £10 "fine" for missing a GP appointment............ jeez man you`ll struggle to get one let alone miss it!
Who will administer it? And how?
Great idea but unenforceable and the cost of collecting will vastly outweigh the "fine".
Cloud cuckoo stuff.

If this is the best our politicians can come up with irrespective of rosette colour I weep for the future.

So you won't be backing National Truss when she becomes PM I assume?

As she simultaneously will be significantly cutting the govt staff (20% I think was something she claimed) whilst increasing the military (budget increase for this to 3%), increasing border staff significantly whilst cutting taxes by £30bn immediately with more to come. She doesn't think she has to pay for cutting taxes by suggesting she will increase borrowing to pay for the public services. And with the Govt cutting workers, if you need a passport or driving licence, I'd apply now to get it sometime in 2025.

Centre-left coalition seems the most likely outcome at the next GE.

Who knows, SKS maybe gone as leader in the next 12 months 🤷‍♂️

As for the Tories....just blink twice if you want rescuing from your captors in the ERG;)

S

As she simultaneously will be significantly cutting the govt staff (20% I think was something she claimed) whilst increasing the military (budget increase for this to 3%), increasing border staff significantly whilst cutting taxes by £30bn immediately with more to come. She doesn't think she has to pay for cutting taxes by suggesting she will increase borrowing to pay for the public services. And with the Govt cutting workers, if you need a passport or driving licence, I'd apply now to get it sometime in 2025.
She is a shambles isn't she?
:ROFLMAO:
The 20% idea comes straight out of the Rees-Mogg playbook, but as he's always been about as effective as a chocolate fireguard I won't hold my breath

PS - take a look at the vacancy levels across the public sector and that will give you some idea of where the supposed "efficiency measures" will come from. Not to mention that many parts of the PS have SERIOUS problems when it comes to recruitment or retention already....not really a recipe for attracting/keeping the "brightest and best". But hey, that's what 12 years of zero and below inflation pay rises does to a sector🤷‍♂️

The Tories may do the job for Labour if the Kippers* continue moving the Tories even more right wing. The Tory Party is looking a bit like Labour was with Momentum at one stage but this is happening in a quieter way as it isn't getting banged on about so much in the press (but it is getting mentioned). The Tory Party is getting taken over at a constituency level (from the bits I've read) by the Kipper end of the spectrum which isn't good for the Tories or politics in general. I wonder if the Times or similar more moderate part of the Tory press will start highlighting the dangers this poses.

*Just a shorthand instead the more right wing Tories (eg. ERG)
I’ve taken to using the name BlueKIP.

The overthrowing of the Conservative party by a bunch of blokes drinking bitter in car parks circa 2014/2015 has been quite spectacular.

Depends where government staff are cut to be fair.
Unfortunately, these missives usually impact those at the bottom of the food chain, been there, done that. Survived 4 "Management of Change" processes that cost more money than they ever saved due to the managerial & HR burdens they create. The last one has still not been completed some 5 years after it started!
What they rarely "cull" are those folk with impressive job titles, and impressive salaries and nobody knows what they do.

Depends where government staff are cut to be fair.
Unfortunately, these missives usually impact those at the bottom of the food chain, been there, done that. Survived 4 "Management of Change" processes that cost more money than they ever saved due to the managerial & HR burdens they create. The last one has still not been completed some 5 years after it started!
What they rarely "cull" are those folk with impressive job titles, and impressive salaries and nobody knows what they do.

What Govt staff would you want cut and which depts?

Bear in mind that those cuts will have to be greater in those depts as she is increasing elsewhere.

Bit late to say anything to win as Truss has that ground already. And hyperbole really as he'd have to win the next election first and conditions will likely have significantly changed.

Back
Top Bottom