National News Who next

Depends where government staff are cut to be fair.
Unfortunately, these missives usually impact those at the bottom of the food chain, been there, done that. Survived 4 "Management of Change" processes that cost more money than they ever saved due to the managerial & HR burdens they create. The last one has still not been completed some 5 years after it started!
What they rarely "cull" are those folk with impressive job titles, and impressive salaries and nobody knows what they do.
As per usual you use lots of words to try covey insider knowledge that is critical of NHS management but actually say nothing. What services do you want to cut that will achieve the much touted 20% savings?

As per usual you use lots of words to try covey insider knowledge that is critical of NHS management but actually say nothing. What services do you want to cut that will achieve the much touted 20% savings?

Removing "silo working" and listening to those on the ground floor could deliver far in excess of 20%.

Some call it the John Lewis or Timpson model where people have the autonomy to make beneficial decisions for the business.

As soon as you have senior or middle managers that are comfortable in their silo they only ever maintain the status quo rather than think "Why don`t we do XYZ?"

Take the setting up of Covid trials - processes that normally take 8-12 weeks were being run through in days and all within safety thresholds and with all the requisite approvals. They were delivered safely, and at pace and that led to patient benefits for the successful trials.

The frustrating thing is that there is little reason routine work like that can`t be done at the same pace. Increased productivity equals more research income but too many people "sit on stuff" in their silo with little sense of urgency because they are comfortable.

I guess that's why this country has relatively low productivity levels, people get comfortable.

You don`t need to default to cut services just get them to work harder.

Removing "silo working" and listening to those on the ground floor could deliver far in excess of 20%.

Some call it the John Lewis or Timpson model where people have the autonomy to make beneficial decisions for the business.

As soon as you have senior or middle managers that are comfortable in their silo they only ever maintain the status quo rather than think "Why don`t we do XYZ?"

Take the setting up of Covid trials - processes that normally take 8-12 weeks were being run through in days and all within safety thresholds and with all the requisite approvals. They were delivered safely, and at pace and that led to patient benefits for the successful trials.

The frustrating thing is that there is little reason routine work like that can`t be done at the same pace. Increased productivity equals more research income but too many people "sit on stuff" in their silo with little sense of urgency because they are comfortable.

I guess that's why this country has relatively low productivity levels, people get comfortable.

Productivity in times of national emergency is unsustainable for the longer term "business as usual" scenario - discuss

Yeah right introducing a Timpsons model will saved 20% in one of the most efficient health services in the world. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

'Overall, the NHS is one of the industrialised worldā€™s most efficient health care systems, and substantially lower cost than other advanced European countries such as France, Germany, Sweden or Switzerland. The Germans spend 30 percent more per person on health care than we do'

And to justify this you used a covid testing process that had money thrown at it in the billions. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

You're a deluded dreamer mate.

Productivity in times of national emergency is unsustainable for the longer term "business as usual" scenario - discuss

Sorry, don`t buy that.
The only downside we found was the machinery couldn`t keep up with the volume of tests despite being mostly robotic.
There were also some early issues with the availability of some chemicals, but after a spell of rationing by suppliers they increased their volume (and sales/profit).
If we increased "productivity" by reducing an average turnaround of 10 weeks to 10 days then even 20/30 days is sustainable without burning folk or machines out.
If there was more private sector ethos in the public sector it would be more beneficial for everyone from service users to taxpayers.

Yeah right introducing a Timpsons model will saved 20% in one of the most efficient health services in the world. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

'Overall, the NHS is one of the industrialised worldā€™s most efficient health care systems, and substantially lower cost than other advanced European countries such as France, Germany, Sweden or Switzerland. The Germans spend 30 percent more per person on health care than we do'

And to justify this you used a covid testing process that had money thrown at it in the billions. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

You're a deluded dreamer mate.

You believe what they want you to - ignore the reality.

And I`m the dreamer? :ROFLMAO:

From your link.....................

"BUT despite those two truths, it is also the case that there are still substantial opportunities to cut waste and increase efficiency in the NHS, just as there are in every other countryā€™s health care system"

Sorry, don`t buy that.
The only downside we found was the machinery couldn`t keep up with the volume of tests despite being mostly robotic.
There were also some early issues with the availability of some chemicals, but after a spell of rationing by suppliers they increased their volume (and sales/profit).
If we increased "productivity" by reducing an average turnaround of 10 weeks to 10 days then even 20/30 days is sustainable without burning folk or machines out.
If there was more private sector ethos in the public sector it would be more beneficial for everyone from service users to taxpayers.
And no other work was shelved to prioritise this emergency work?

Also, trying to pretend that the Private Sector is the UK panacea when it comes to productivity is nothing short of laughable.

I'm sure you've noticed that productivity is not just a public sector problem (and I don't accept that it universally is). Your Tory boys and Girls pointed out that laziness is a problem (in their vnarrow minded view) across the economy when they wrote Britannia Unchained. Which is ironic as I'm struggling to think of anything siginficant any of the authors have ever really done whilst in "High Office".

You see, it's always the underlings who do the real work, not the fairies on top of the tree ;)

Last edited:

"BUT despite those two truths, it is also the case that there are still substantial opportunities to cut waste and increase efficiency in the NHS, just as there are in every other countryā€™s health care system"
Nobody is saying the NHS is perfect just as no organisation on the entire planet could make such a claim (because they are run by human beings) but once a significant level of efficiency had been reached getting rid of a manager here and there in a restructuring starts to become counter productive due to the disruption it causes and the unforeseen 'new' problems it creates that then lead to further restructuring (as you've been a critic of yourself). You get to a point when the most effective way to improve is to spend more money.... unless your objective is to undermine the NHS making it ripe for exploitation , sorry privatisation.

"BUT despite those two truths, it is also the case that there are still substantial opportunities to cut waste and increase efficiency in the NHS, just as there are in every other countryā€™s health care
I think blocking this site to NHS workers whilst they're supposed to be working would increase efficiency somewhat.

So that'll be in excess of 20% cuts in jobs across the private sector as well then using your logic.

So that'll be in excess of 20% cuts in jobs across the private sector as well then using your logic.

Savings don`t come purely from job cuts.

Savings can be immense in process efficiency, reducing waste, saving energy, working smarter, and remapping estate/land it's a long list.

I think blocking this site to NHS workers whilst they're supposed to be working would increase efficiency somewhat.

Multi-tasking........... easy enough to have multiple screens open especially when WFH. ;)
And no other work was shelved to prioritise this emergency work?

Doesn`t matter if you are processing/contracting/setting up dataflows for emergency Covid trials or routine Cancer/Cardio/Resp trials it's an internal process that is normally slow.

Routine trials already running continued, some had to work differently with home visits for bloods & meds, but some new ones were temporarily shelved as the infection risks for participants were deemed too high to bring them in.

Savings can be immense in process efficiency, reducing waste, saving energy, working smarter, and remapping estate/land it's a long list.

Multi-tasking........... easy enough to have multiple screens open especially when WFH. ;)

Doesn`t matter if you are processing/contracting/setting up dataflows for emergency Covid trials or routine Cancer/Cardio/Resp trials it's an internal process that is normally slow.

Routine trials already running continued, some had to work differently with home visits for bloods & meds, but some new ones were temporarily shelved as the infection risks for participants were deemed too high to bring them in.
I'm just astounded that you're not President of the World already, such is your complete and utter mastery of everything and anything.

Is there nothing you don't know and nothing you can't answer?

We're clearly not worthy and you're wasted on here :ROFLMAO:

I'm just astounded that you're not President of the World already, such is your complete and utter mastery of everything and anything.

Is there nothing you don't know and nothing you can't answer?

We're clearly not worthy and you're wasted on here :ROFLMAO:

At last, you realised. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I'm well aware of where savings can be made, I've been in enough of the processes and I'm aware of plenty of false savings that ultimately end up costing far more. Your logic still equally applies to the private sector where there is plenty of waste and 'silo working' exists. The problem with the change process is they are hardly ever allowed to complete before another process is started.

Anyway, Truss is talking about jobs so where are those jobs going? Which depts? Again bear in mind she is also saying she will expand some depts.

So why are you still "working" in an inefficient NHS lab?

Chop, chop....get out and make something of yourself! The world (well, the Brexiteers) needs experts like you :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Because the pay is good, the pension excellent, the hours are easy and lots of holidays.

I`ve reached my pinnacle of comfort. :ROFLMAO:

I'm well aware of where savings can be made, I've been in enough of the processes and I'm aware of plenty of false savings that ultimately end up costing far more. Your logic still equally applies to the private sector where there is plenty of waste and 'silo working' exists. The problem with the change process is they are hardly ever allowed to complete before another process is started.

Anyway, Truss is talking about jobs so where are those jobs going? Which depts? Again bear in mind she is also saying she will expand some depts.

I don`t have hotline to Liz - sorry.

According to her Telegraph interview- ā€œreview all quangos, clamp down on sprawling arms-length bodies and expunge those that arenā€™t fit for purposeā€

Sounds great, but the reality is even that will cost money.

So Truss wants everyone that gets 3 A* A levels to get an interview at Oxford & Cambridge...
Couple of thoughts.
Oxbridge interviews are in the December the year before you go. A level results come out in August, 9 months later.
Last year there were 13000 that got 3 A* A levels. Even if the interview was only 30mins, there has to be 2 interviewers present, so that is 13000 hours of academic staff time not teaching, that is 541 days not including all the actual admin time to make it all work.

Back
Top Bottom