Away Match Day Thread +++ 04/01/2019 Brentford v OUFC (FACR3) Match Day Thread +++

Championship Brentford were hanging on at the end against little Oxford, how can they slag us?

They should of been home and buried by then though? They were nothing special themselves, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them relegated, but we didn’t have much of a go till the end, would like to see us play them with a proper forward as it hampered us having nothing up top.

As a fan of 60+ years...and a former full time employee..i am as concerned as anyone about the way things are going, including the misfortunes that are stacking up against us. But i do despair of some mindlessness on here. Whether you like Robinson or not there is absolutely no need for the unpleasant nicknames, nor the slagging off at every available opportunity. I heard his interview after the Brentford game ( from holiday in Spain) and I felt it showed how much he cares about his staff. To jump on to the negative bandwagon ( largely only a toxic few It seems) and call him weak, over sensitive, unprofeesional etc is ridiculous and in my opinion ill judged. Similarly the criticism that we have only signed 2 in the window is daft. It would be easier if agents did not control transfers and clubs hold out for the best deals they can get. Then you have to persuade players to come to a club near the bottom of league and to move to expensive Oxfordshire. It takes time, hard work and persistence. Also most clubs are after decent strikers. Lets see where we are in 3 weeks.
24th

Supporters are concerned that even after a good run of 15 games, we still have failed to win away and over the Christmas period find our team in the bottom four. They are also fearful that the owner does not have the funds or nouse to stop the rot and as a result relegation. It’s not about jumping on everything, it’s about two season where we as a club have struggled both on and off the pitch. Tiger made some very encouraging statements of which very few have been turned into reality. Have a great youth policy is commendable, but means nothing if we go down.

This season on the pitch has been poor, but today wasn’t, yet the usual suspects come on here and tell us Robinson is a poor manager because he was upset about SB, the club are doomed because tiger has no money etc.
As I just posted in another thread, I wish people would get behind the side, ask tough questions where they are warranted, criticise where it is deserved, but don’t make stuff up or conflate issues to support an agenda.
Also your comment about last two seasons is interesting,as some of the posters who I feel are incessantly negative were the same about Eales when he had funded a promotion, few trips to Wembley etc, bacially some of them seem to have a real issue come what may.

Last edited:
Thought we competed very well. Against decent opposition. We can stay up with this sort of effort and togetherness.

Ref was a terrible homer. Penalty should have been given for wrestling hold on Browne.

Encouraging - except for the Baptiste incident. How terribly unlucky.

#coyy
two penalty shouts, one 1st half aswell.

Thought we competed very well. Against decent opposition. We can stay up with this sort of effort and togetherness.

Ref was a terrible homer. Penalty should have been given for wrestling hold on Browne.

Encouraging - except for the Baptiste incident. How terribly unlucky.

#coyy

But that is the problem is it not?

We didn’t show that effort or togetherness over Christmas and have dropped right back into a relegation battle.

With today’s effort we might have taken 7 points out of 9. Instead we save it for a game that in all honesty counts for s**t.

It is all about staying in this league.... nothing else matters.

Reading the Brentford forum we get slagged for that performance, sobering reading a different point of view. It’s not a neutral one obviously but it’s fairly obvious to anyone we are toothless up front.
But let’s not forget Brentford are out of their league being little Brentford playing with the big boys, they will soon be where they belong League 1

We are in the bottom 4 post xmas. The season has been a shocker. He might be a nice guy but robinson has to take the blame. Going in to the season with obika and mackie as strikers was criminal. His inability to change formation is amatuer. I think he deserves the stick and is one lucky guy not to be fired.
Don't forget that Smith was going to be the wow striker though!!??

We played well but didn’t deserve to win because we carried a minimal goal-threat. We are a goal scorer short of being a decent unit. Today proved that yet again.
Yep. Four straight defeats and no goals says a lot. We do look vulnerable at the back at times though and had Easty to thank again to keep it at 0-0.

One thing I noticed and it's minimal but Garbutt didn't clap us at the end, unless I missed it? Everyone else did

Underachieving is probably our biggest challenge, we seem to play this beautiful game as predictable as it comes, we have no surprise element in our team, no change of direction and apart from Gavin Whyte there is no single match winner who is capable of turning a game on its head, it’s easy to keep looking back on what we had only 2 - 3 years ago however we did have it and it’s hard to take that it has all gone from our DNA, players wanted to be at Oxford, players wanted to come to Oxford.
The next 3 weeks in the transfer window will set our destiny for the foreseeable future and I don’t just mean the rest of the season because if we can not attract a better player or players than we currently have then relegation is a distinct possibility and that will set us back years (5 years in the conference, 6 years in the basement division before we got to the 3rd tier of the pyramid), can any of us take another decade of UNDERACHIEVING......
Tiger, Karl, the guy from Milan, anyone, please get us out of this slump and give us, the fans something to shout about.......

Only one thing missing since we last played at Griffin Park in the FA cup
Bill Calder
A goal scorer who changes games!
Still let’s keep behind OUR team

• React
Reactions: Ian
Well, I thought...

The ref was a disgrace. As blatant a homer (as opposed to being just useless) as I have seen for a while. Browne was wrestled down to the floor inside the penalty area by a bloke with both arms around him. If Dickie's was a pen the other week then todays was far more blatant. Mous did try - as captain - to have a word with the ref, whoo eventually just booked him. Spineless little creep.

I thought we played 'OK'. There is a noticeable lack of desire to go past a man though and (perhaps understandably after recent results) there was quite a lot of 'taking the safe option' going on. The lack of an effective striker is hampering us big time (no news there, then). I was a bit irritated that we weren't a bit more aggressive - I don't mean in the tackle, but when we had the ball. It was very one paced and especially once we went a goal behind it really didn't matter if we lost by five - just give it a real go. It seemed a bit uncreative - our little patterns of play (like the three on the touchline passing it about between themselves) look as if they have been practised to death on the training ground, but it's all a bit tight and unproductive.

I was gutted for Baptiste - I haven't heard any actual news of what is injury is and how serious, can someone enlighten me, pls? He DID look good in the few minutes he was on.

Graham is unsurpisingly not up to speed yet, some of his defensive work in the first half was pretty dodgy, constantly the wrong side of his man.

I thought Dickie and Nelson were pretty decent as far as defence goes, but there is still too much sideways stuff when they have to pass the ball. It may be that the midfield aren't showing for the ball enough.

The players worked hard, the fans turned up, the Brentford stewards and supporters were friendly (good luck with their new stadium and all - not that I'm jealous!), but for me the whole occasion didn't really catch fire.

Well, I thought...

The ref was a disgrace. As blatant a homer (as opposed to being just useless) as I have seen for a while. Browne was wrestled down to the floor inside the penalty area by a bloke with both arms around him. If Dickie's was a pen the other week then todays was far more blatant. Mous did try - as captain - to have a word with the ref, whoo eventually just booked him. Spineless little creep.

I thought we played 'OK'. There is a noticeable lack of desire to go past a man though and (perhaps understandably after recent results) there was quite a lot of 'taking the safe option' going on. The lack of an effective striker is hampering us big time (no news there, then). I was a bit irritated that we weren't a bit more aggressive - I don't mean in the tackle, but when we had the ball. It was very one paced and especially once we went a goal behind it really didn't matter if we lost by five - just give it a real go. It seemed a bit uncreative - our little patterns of play (like the three on the touchline passing it about between themselves) look as if they have been practised to death on the training ground, but it's all a bit tight and unproductive.

I was gutted for Baptiste - I haven't heard any actual news of what is injury is and how serious, can someone enlighten me, pls? He DID look good in the few minutes he was on.

Graham is unsurpisingly not up to speed yet, some of his defensive work in the first half was pretty dodgy, constantly the wrong side of his man.

I thought Dickie and Nelson were pretty decent as far as defence goes, but there is still too much sideways stuff when they have to pass the ball. It may be that the midfield aren't showing for the ball enough.

The players worked hard, the fans turned up, the Brentford stewards and supporters were friendly (good luck with their new stadium and all - not that I'm jealous!), but for me the whole occasion didn't really catch fire.
Heard two different things about Baptistes injury. One saying it's a knee injury (more likely in my opinion) and the other saying broken leg. Both just as bad although i actually hope it's his leg (longer recovery) however knee injuries are more likely to recur again. For instance Rob Hall. He looked quality when he was on the cross field ball to Browne was beautiful and was a breath of fresh air. Hopefully he can recover from this as he is in my opinion when fit first on the team sheet .

I thought Brentford were ok today, but nothing special - we've seen better L1 teams this season. If you rely on a penalty and some helpful officiating to beat little old Oxford, then you have a lot to worry about. If you bring on your star striker to get that result, you have problems. If your 3 CBs can't cope when we play a winger up front out of desperation, you've got bigger problems.

It looked like Baptiste was a ligament injury, and KR confirmed the knee had some laxity, which is a good pointer to at least 1 or more ligaments being injured. My guess would be LCL + ACL/MCL. The kid has had some tough breaks this season.

• React
Reactions: Ian
One saying it's a knee injury (more likely in my opinion) and the other saying broken leg. Both just as bad although i actually hope it's his leg (longer recovery) however knee injuries are more likely to recur again.

No, both not as bad. A fracture heals with or without surgery, and there’s every chance he plays again this year. Most knee ligament ruptures are 12-month injuries, contingent on treatment given.

No, with modern grafts and rehab, there’s no huge risk of recurrence, although they can recur (my best mate at Uni did his elective on that very subject, albeit weirdly in Australian football). It would need a further freak trauma - ligament ruptures don’t just spontaneously arise.

From the pain Shandon was in and the length of time in pain I’d guess he’d fractured, but of course there can be elements of both bone and soft tissue damage in one injury at once.

GWS Shandon, you deserve much better luck.

Back
Top Bottom