Home Match Day Thread +++ 15/02/20 OUFC v Sunderland +++

On a side note did anyone see the 2 Sunderland fans applaud their players off in the SSL yesterday, think there were quite a few in home end areas yesterday, not sure how that was allowed???
There were a couple sat by us in the North stand, who said they were neutral Chelsea fans, but didn’t know the first thing about Chelsea when asked.
I spoke to a steward who wasn’t interested.

We sold out pretty quickly so a few of us ended up in home end, but hopefully we were discreet and polite, if not a little bit worse for wear. Frustrating game for Oxford who easily deserved at least one goal, but obviously really pleased with our defence.
Great day for us.
Yes good win for your guys.
You seem to give a more reasonable view of the game than some if our supporters in my view.

Shandon was the asset with the longest contract as well. I think he still had three years left as of this coming summer - that for me was what we failed to really use to our advantage. It isn’t often that you have that quality of an asset with that much interest in them, while still having that long left on their deal. I think we fundamentally underestimated the rarity and the value of that, if we even realised at all. We’ll never be able to change it now, though, so probably not worth reliving too much.

Regarding the game, I’m not sure I blame Robinson for changing the formation to fit what he had available yesterday. I don’t think Mousinho has the legs to be able to sit in and get about the midfield the way that a CDM has to now, nor do I think Forde is yet sharp enough or defensively experienced enough to play in a flat four, especially if Agyei was therefore going to need to be the one providing defensive support and tracking cover from the wing. I think he looked at what he had and put round pegs in round holes. He had three centre backs available, two energetic midfielders who can play wider and therefore cover wingback roles, three midfielders and two strikers. So he looked at the best (and most likely the only) 11 he had fit and available to start and clearly made a call that letting them all play positions they can actually play gave us a better chance, rather than forcing things into a shape that several of them don’t suit at all. Merely my opinion, but I don’t think he had much choice. I’m as annoyed as anyone that it was another defeat against a bang average looking side, that we’ve been forced into this situation with a lack of depth so late in the day etc, but I don’t know that I agree the manager screwed it all up yesterday.

Mark down the date. It isn’t often you’ll see me presented with an opportunity to whack Robinson in the balls and pass it up.
Agree.
Cant believe KR could be blamed for yesterday.
Decent performance and we didnt get the breaks.
I am a little surprised that Taylor didnt get on the end of some of the crosses we got in.
Disappointing result as we outplayed them second half. Fair play to Parkinson who knows how to grind out wins.
Brannagan looks back to his best ( Henry not so yet)
Dickie outstanding in my view and Forde's crossing is good.
Tuesday is huge

Thought Taylor was poor yesterday. He goes over so easily, it’s embarrassing. If he’s going to fall, practice doing it with some degree of credibility. Not sure we should sign him if we could, too lightweight for division 1.

I wouldn't blame KR for yesterday anymore than I would excuse the overall performance of the team as a whole. Not being able to get to the game yesterday afforded Mrs Lounger and I the opportunity to watch West Brom v Nottingham Forest and Norwich v Liverpool. Both games showed how well organised teams can pass the ball into spaces which are quickly occupied by a team mate. Both games provided a good spectacle and, particularly in the West Brom game, real passion and commitment by the players. We both commented on how good it would be if our team played as well as teams at that level.
Fact is OUFC do not have a squad that is comparable nor competent to play at that level and short of a massive spend in the summer, won't in the future either. However, is there any good reason why our team cannot get the training to at least master the arts of incisive and quick passing, taking a throw in and getting the ball to a team mate, setting up for dead ball situations with a real threat of scoring etc. etc?
I watched the extended highlights this morning and it showed how frail we are in the opposing teams half, mainly through the ponderous nature of getting there. How we miss those incisive passes to cut open defences. How we badly need pace on the wings and an end product.
It really does make me wonder just how seriously the board approached this last transfer window. I know we are not big spenders and never will be if adhering to the FFP regulations but, it is so frustrating to support a team that is our OUFC at this time.

Frustrated with yesterday, especially first half. Defence and midfield appeared never to have met before, let alone work together. It may have been good work from the Sunderland players, (and the weather) but there never seemed anyone free to pass to, just a brick wall of blue shirts. Also seemed very reluctant to go longer, even though when we did it seemed to worry them.
Thought Taylor was poor, more interested in going over and complaining than playing. How can we complain about their front three going down all the time when Taylor was doing just the same.

Shandon was the asset with the longest contract as well. I think he still had three years left as of this coming summer - that for me was what we failed to really use to our advantage. It isn’t often that you have that quality of an asset with that much interest in them, while still having that long left on their deal. I think we fundamentally underestimated the rarity and the value of that, if we even realised at all. We’ll never be able to change it now, though, so probably not worth reliving too much.

Regarding the game, I’m not sure I blame Robinson for changing the formation to fit what he had available yesterday. I don’t think Mousinho has the legs to be able to sit in and get about the midfield the way that a CDM has to now, nor do I think Forde is yet sharp enough or defensively experienced enough to play in a flat four, especially if Agyei was therefore going to need to be the one providing defensive support and tracking cover from the wing. I think he looked at what he had and put round pegs in round holes. He had three centre backs available, two energetic midfielders who can play wider and therefore cover wingback roles, three midfielders and two strikers. So he looked at the best (and most likely the only) 11 he had fit and available to start and clearly made a call that letting them all play positions they can actually play gave us a better chance, rather than forcing things into a shape that several of them don’t suit at all. Merely my opinion, but I don’t think he had much choice. I’m as annoyed as anyone that it was another defeat against a bang average looking side, that we’ve been forced into this situation with a lack of depth so late in the day etc, but I don’t know that I agree the manager screwed it all up yesterday.

Mark down the date. It isn’t often you’ll see me presented with an opportunity to whack Robinson in the balls and pass it up.

I get what you’re saying, but couldn’t Sam Long have played right back and then Forde played in midfield? Having seen how he did at RWB I don’t see how he could have been any worse in midfield, whether it be DCM or further forwards with Brannigan dropping back. The rest of the team could then have easily fit into our usual 4-1-2-3 which the players are comfortable with.

Good post though, it’s made me less annoyed as I see what Robinson’s thought process probably was. I still think that he should have changed it at half time, but quite a few others on here seem to think that it was working or at least wasn’t the problem, so maybe I’m wrong.

I still don’t want to see it again however...

I wouldn't blame KR for yesterday anymore than I would excuse the overall performance of the team as a whole. Not being able to get to the game yesterday afforded Mrs Lounger and I the opportunity to watch West Brom v Nottingham Forest and Norwich v Liverpool. Both games showed how well organised teams can pass the ball into spaces which are quickly occupied by a team mate. Both games provided a good spectacle and, particularly in the West Brom game, real passion and commitment by the players. We both commented on how good it would be if our team played as well as teams at that level.
Fact is OUFC do not have a squad that is comparable nor competent to play at that level and short of a massive spend in the summer, won't in the future either. However, is there any good reason why our team cannot get the training to at least master the arts of incisive and quick passing, taking a throw in and getting the ball to a team mate, setting up for dead ball situations with a real threat of scoring etc. etc?
I watched the extended highlights this morning and it showed how frail we are in the opposing teams half, mainly through the ponderous nature of getting there. How we miss those incisive passes to cut open defences. How we badly need pace on the wings and an end product.
It really does make me wonder just how seriously the board approached this last transfer window. I know we are not big spenders and never will be if adhering to the FFP regulations but, it is so frustrating to support a team that is our OUFC at this time.

While I tend to agree with your overall opinion @Manorlounger, we cannot seriously hope to emulate Forest, WBA or any premiershit team at the moment.
As you are well aware, we are starved of the kind of financial clout that these teams have at their disposal.
Asking for us to regularly play at a level beyond our limitations is normally a one time event where the players raise their game to meet the challenge.
We have punched well above our weight recently, West Ham, Newcastle games for instance. But for them to play at this level for a prolonged period is nigh on impossible. That is why they are playing for us.
They may well be on their way to those levels but they are with us now because they cannot achieve it consistently yet (or ever).

Let’s be honest here, we struggled to create enough chances against a very negative Sunderland side.
They scored after a minute but I don’t recall us actually registering a proper shot for the entire first half.
They effectively sat deep and invited us to try to play through them second half, but again, we didn’t ever get a head of steam up against them to break them down.
We had plenty of possession, but not enough of it in the opponents half and it is all very well having ball retention. You can knock it around all you like, in your own half but if it isn’t played into the forward positions then the chances of us scoring are negligible.

It’s not the end of the world, we can still do it, but it will take a monumental effort from here on in to reach the play-offs - a position that I really believe we should have been a certainty for just a few weeks ago.
Let’s be honest here, we struggled to create enough chances against a very negative Sunderland side.
They scored after a minute but I don’t recall us actually registering a proper shot for the entire first half.
They effectively sat deep and invited us to try to play through them second half, but again, we didn’t ever get a head of steam up against them to break them down.
We had plenty of possession, but not enough of it in the opponents half and it is all very well having ball retention. You can knock it around all you like, in your own half but if it isn’t played into the forward positions then the chances of us scoring are negligible.

It’s not the end of the world, we can still do it, but it will take a monumental effort from here on in to reach the play-offs - a position that I really believe we should have been a certainty for just a few weeks ago.
The conditions were a huge factor and both sides coped remarkably well. We weren't negative, just coping with the conditions protecting lead. Interesting being in home end. Only gripe I gave is when your fans booed off our injured player, Bailey, who is a very honest player. We usually applaud off injured players. Apart from thought your support was fine.

• React
Reactions: Ian
There were a couple sat by us in the North stand, who said they were neutral Chelsea fans, but didn’t know the first thing about Chelsea when asked.
I spoke to a steward who wasn’t interested.
What’s the steward going to do about two inoffensive blokes? Ask them hard questions about Bob Stokoe? Challenge them to a 70s style fight?

Then we focus on the fact that we beat them twice at the beginning of the season, and got turned over with half our team out.

Rotherham 1 win, 1 defeat
Coventry 1 draw, 1 to play
Peterborough 1 win, 1 defeat
Sunderland 1 win, 1 draw, 1 defeat
Wycombe 1 win, 1 to play
Pompey 1 draw, 1 to play
Ipswich 1 draw, 1 to play
Fleetwood 1 defeat, 1 to play

As I've said, absolutely nothing to fear!

Hate to burst your bubble again but Rotherham and Posh what were the aggregate scores? that's what counts in a 2 leg games
The Posh argument is again a very weak one,half a team? they had 10 men for 30 minutes and scored twice afterwards.
We beat Wycombe 1-0 and drew with Ipswich both at home and drew with coventry at home

i am not saying we cannot beat those teams but it was you that said nothing to fear from Sunderland based on yesterday whilst ignoring the final scorelines against posh and Rotherham.

As i've said anyone is capable of beating anyone in this league and to dismiss Sunderland who you've taken the P**s out of all season and are 9pts ahead of us based on yesterday is madness.

Wycombe Coventry Posh Pompey Sunderland Rotherham Ipswich putting the obvious biased away would you honestly state we "would" beat any of those over 2 games? we've lost "overall" to 3 of them already

While I tend to agree with your overall opinion @Manorlounger, we cannot seriously hope to emulate Forest, WBA or any premiershit team at the moment.
As you are well aware, we are starved of the kind of financial clout that these teams have at their disposal.
Asking for us to regularly play at a level beyond our limitations is normally a one time event where the players raise their game to meet the challenge.
We have punched well above our weight recently, West Ham, Newcastle games for instance. But for them to play at this level for a prolonged period is nigh on impossible. That is why they are playing for us.
They may well be on their way to those levels but they are with us now because they cannot achieve it consistently yet (or ever).

They are with us to further their careers to the benefit of themselves and many cases their parent clubs.
if let's say 6-7 could play at the next level why cannot it not be with us?...The answer was evident at the final days of the window when 2 of ours apparently did not believe we were capable of promotion and our "Ambitious" Board grabbed the money.

constantly telling players we will not stand in your way does nothing for our chances of progression on the field

The conditions were a huge factor and both sides coped remarkably well. We weren't negative, just coping with the conditions protecting lead. Interesting being in home end. Only gripe I gave is when your fans booed off our injured player, Bailey, who is a very honest player. We usually applaud off injured players. Apart from thought your support was fine.

It was probably because he injured himself in fouling our player and then it took an age to get him off the pitch?

• React
Reactions: PQ
Agree with you on not being able to emulate the clubs mentioned. That's why I mentioned the FFP regs. I'm thinking back to when Mapps took over and tried to get the team to play to his desired style - catastrophe. Ended at Cambridge with a defeat on TV Shortly after, players were packing their bags and new were on the way in. I would think that KR has tried to recruit in a similar manner but has not been 100% successful. (for whatever reasons!)
What I would like to see is the team performing at the kind of level that indicates a real purpose, that of promotion. At the moment the resilience in the squad is no longer there but also, the ability to adapt the playing style to overcome opposition teams seems missing. This has to be one of two things; one, lack of individual ability or two, lack of training. If it's something else then we have a real problem and one that will require wholesale change.

Hate to burst your bubble again but Rotherham and Posh what were the aggregate scores? that's what counts in a 2 leg games
The Posh argument is again a very weak one,half a team? they had 10 men for 30 minutes and scored twice afterwards.
We beat Wycombe 1-0 and drew with Ipswich both at home and drew with coventry at home

i am not saying we cannot beat those teams but it was you that said nothing to fear from Sunderland based on yesterday whilst ignoring the final scorelines against posh and Rotherham.

As i've said anyone is capable of beating anyone in this league and to dismiss Sunderland who you've taken the P**s out of all season and are 9pts ahead of us based on yesterday is madness.

Wycombe Coventry Posh Pompey Sunderland Rotherham Ipswich putting the obvious biased away would you honestly state we "would" beat any of those over 2 games? we've lost "overall" to 3 of them already

You're like a f*****g dementor sucking the joy out of everything!

I said that there is no one to fear should we get to the playoffs, and I'm pretty sure we will.

You have said that anyone can beat anyone in this league, so yes, of course we can beat anyone over two legs.

If we hit the sort of form we had before Christmas with Brannagan, Henry and Taylor all back to full fitness and form, with Dickie, Mous and/or Moore at the back, with Browne, Holland, Woodburn or Agyei, all playing with pace and skill, then not one of the top 8 would fancy playing us.

So stop being so pissing defeatist!

Same old same old. Defence handing them a free header, and toothless up front. Passing is wayward.
How can a team of players be transformed from a team going for promotion to a team.that rolls over to have its tummy tickled at the first opportunity?
See what the second half brings, but this cannot keep happening, something has to give.

Karl Robinson

It was probably because he injured himself in fouling our player and then it took an age to get him off the pitch?
...didn't receive a yellow card and was allowed to be replaced before play resumed whereas he would have had to wait on the sideline to come back on.

Back
Top Bottom