Home Match Day Thread 18/12/2021 L1: OUFC v Wigan Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with a lot of what you say but you’re a bit misguided if you think our players are anything more special than any other teams players in giving everything for the shirt. Wigan won yesterday, so did their players give that tiny bit more effort than ours ? Players, in the main, play for themselves. Do you honestly believe that if Robinson signed a new right back on January 1st and put him straight in the team, relegating Long to the bench, then Long - despite apparently ‘bleeding yellow’ - will be sat there hoping for a slick team performance and a MOTM display from our new right back ?

I'll put your question a different way. If dropped from the side, would Sam Long be happy seeing the team beat because of mistakes from his replacement? Not in a million years. He may not be happy being out of the side, I wouldn't expect that from anyone. But would he want Oxford to succeed in his absence? Absolutely.

And it's not just Sam Long as the local boy. Cam Brannagan had offers in the summer that would have significantly increased his wages. But he committed very early to staying at this club who supported him through his sight issues last season. That's not to say he'll never leave, but it does show that the tightness of this team and the club is something special.

It's not unique to this club, but it's a huge asset that helps you through the difficult times, and something we should be proud of.

That was quality today, moments like Williams' goal and Taylor's equaliser are what I love about going to football. I really like that Karl wanted the game on today, people were complaining before we played Fleetwood and Rotherham and it proved to be the right decision to get those games on, and today I feel it was justified too. We put in a big performance despite the big names we had missing. It was going to be a struggle without Thorniley, let alone Brannagan and Kane and then losing Henry in the warm up was just another punch in the face, but the application from the team today was absolutely superb.

Shame about some of the Wigan fans. Seemingly some of the thickest and most entitled in the league. I heard some of them booing when Mickey Lewis' lad came out before the match. Did the same when the girls ran past at half time. Have some class.

That’s really disappointing to hear. We know that football brings out a variety of opinions and we’re liable to defend the indefensible when it comes to our own, but come on - show some class. A significant number of their lot have exposed themselves as warped weirdos who believe in EFL conspiracies after the postponement up at their place. Interesting to see that one brain cell was again being shared around the travelling support yesterday too.

All things considered, I thought it was another super effort from the Mighty Yellows. If we can play like that and show the same level of commitment when we are at full strength, then we will be there or there abouts come May. Obviously disappointed with the result but definitely not the performance or attitude.

I'll use the same word that I did to a similar post yesterday - pathetic!

You weren't at the game, however, to come out with drivel like that is nothing short of embarassing. Of course we lost, but that is not the "only thing that matters" to the vast majority of fans. What we want to see is a side that truly competes with the big teams in this league, plays excellent football and never gives up. We had that from everyone on and off the pitch yesterday.

There is nothing timid about this Oxford United squad. Look at players like Jamie Hanson and Anthony Forde as examples. They barely get a game but when called upon they have given absolutely everything for the shirt. Ryan Williams comes out of nowhere to play the way he did yesterday and would play in goal if asked! Or regulars like Sam Long or Matty Taylor who bleed yellow. Are they timid?

Karl Robinson clearly does care for our club and his players. How is that a bad thing? You can see by the response he gets from the players that give everything back in return so this only proves what a fantastic "team" he has created. He has brought players in that not only play football they way it should be done but also understand what it means to play for Oxford United. The board aren't suckered into anything, but fortunately a group of far eastern investers get this club more than idiots like you.

Finally, budgets! Do you have the faintest idea how much Wigan spent to put that team out? Or Ipswich? Or Sunderland, Rotehrham, Wycomber over the last couple of years? They have far exceeded anything that we have spent and whilst we have a squad of great players, we have absolutely no right to be expecting anything against teams like Wigan, even without half of them missing.

If you are unable to take positives out of yesterday, or in fact anything over the last 3 years, then you don't deserve to follow our club.
I would love to know that as well, as their support and income can’t be that much different from ours.

I thought bringing Bodin off and Agyei on swayed the game back in Wigan's favour. Some of Bodin's link up play was brilliant.

I thought bringing Bodin off and Agyei on swayed the game back in Wigan's favour. Some of Bodin's link up play was brilliant.

Sort of agree. I think the sub was more due to the lack of football than Bodin has played lately. He played a fair whack of the Brentford friendly midweek too. KR probably didn’t expect to be needing him for anywhere near the number of minutes he got yesterday.

It does reveal that we really need someone who can come in for Taylor or give us a different option. Winnall isn’t available enough and Agyei hasn’t improved enough. We know we’ll be shopping there in January.

I agree with a lot of what you say but you’re a bit misguided if you think our players are anything more special than any other teams players in giving everything for the shirt. Wigan won yesterday, so did their players give that tiny bit more effort than ours ? Players, in the main, play for themselves. Do you honestly believe that if Robinson signed a new right back on January 1st and put him straight in the team, relegating Long to the bench, then Long - despite apparently ‘bleeding yellow’ - will be sat there hoping for a slick team performance and a MOTM display from our new right back ?
You are correct in saying players give everything for the shirt. Dean Morgan and Junior Brown are testimony to that.
I'll put your question a different way. If dropped from the side, would Sam Long be happy seeing the team beat because of mistakes from his replacement? Not in a million years. He may not be happy being out of the side, I wouldn't expect that from anyone. But would he want Oxford to succeed in his absence? Absolutely.

And it's not just Sam Long as the local boy. Cam Brannagan had offers in the summer that would have significantly increased his wages. But he committed very early to staying at this club who supported him through his sight issues last season. That's not to say he'll never leave, but it does show that the tightness of this team and the club is something special.

It's not unique to this club, but it's a huge asset that helps you through the difficult times, and something we should be proud of.
You are right about the players being tight. Hugh Curran never bought me a pint when running the Red Lion in Marston. Not even on Christmas morning.

I wonder why Sykes took his shirt off at the final whistle and proceeded to go down the tunnel until Robbo pushed him back on the pitch

Watching the highlights Eastwood has to be slightly disappointed for being beaten like that for their third goal. It was a great strike no doubt, and it would have taken a top save to get something onto it and maybe turn it onto the post, but I’ve seen him (and Stevens) make saves like that before.

Does it matter how they played, they won, the only thing that matters. I've got that same groundhog 3 year feeling they and Rotherham will go up, whilst we lose out again in the play offs to someone, in a similar timid fashion, despite kr "caring," for our club.
This year after 3 attempts, something has to give, surely, and the board not be suckered into the weekly kr rhetoric we hear weekly, about his love for the players/club etc.
This was the year he got the budget he wanted, so hopefully he delivers promotion from a league without a standout team, but with a squad of players, that would have other managers rubbing their hands in anticipation.
Oh you’ve come back, I see. Did you enjoy the game? I fail to see how you could use the word timid in connection with our team yesterday

Really poor headed clearance from Seddon though to the middle of the goal but we then don’t react.
Probably unsavable with the venom and accuracy of the strike from Max Power.
Poor from Seddon - agreed- never play randomly back into the middle like that.
Disappointed that none of the defenders in the six yard box got off the ground to prevent the second header.

Watching the highlights Eastwood has to be slightly disappointed for being beaten like that for their third goal. It was a great strike no doubt, and it would have taken a top save to get something onto it and maybe turn it onto the post, but I’ve seen him (and Stevens) make saves like that before.
Without being to critical off Eastwood, it's the same type of goal as against MK Don's. A low shot close to his body and across the goal.

You are correct in saying players give everything for the shirt. Dean Morgan and Junior Brown are testimony to that.
You are right about the players being tight. Hugh Curran never bought me a pint when running the Red Lion in Marston. Not even on Christmas morning.
Did Hugh Curran ruin every pub he ran?

I thought the game was a decent watch. The inept ref and equally clueless lino made for a decent atmosphere in the home end. You can't deny that we are a good entertaining team. For sure it would be nice if the 3 goals we conceded weren't so pathetic, that we could stop missing open goals at home, and for Eastwood to have a better record than 1 clean sheet in 2 years, but I am just happy at this difficult time to be able to be entertained and accepting that we are at League 1 level football standard.

Looking at the opposition, that is an extremely difficult watch and like Wycombe they would struggle to get me out to see that week in week out. Having spent an enormous amount of money this season on fees and wages you would have thought Wigan would come up with something better than that. They were basically a hoofball side well drilled on set pieces with their main weapon seemingly their number 16 hoof it towards the corner flag every time he got the ball and see if they can pick up the pieces. Which sadly is very effective in League 1, is starting to become effective in the Championship and is starting to infiltrate it's way to the Premier League. I'm happy with what I see from our team, and can accept that if that means we are stuck in League 1 in or about the play off positions at least I get a good level of entertainment for my money.

After the last lockdown and having found lots of other interesting things to do on a Saturday afternoon I wasn't sure whether I would enjoy football as much going forward. I am pleased to say that based on our performances this season (except for a couple of shockers and few minutes of total madness!) I love this game and wouldn't do anything else.

I thought the game was a decent watch. The inept ref and equally clueless lino made for a decent atmosphere in the home end. You can't deny that we are a good entertaining team. For sure it would be nice if the 3 goals we conceded weren't so pathetic, that we could stop missing open goals at home, and for Eastwood to have a better record than 1 clean sheet in 2 years, but I am just happy at this difficult time to be able to be entertained and accepting that we are at League 1 level football standard.

Looking at the opposition, that is an extremely difficult watch and like Wycombe they would struggle to get me out to see that week in week out. Having spent an enormous amount of money this season on fees and wages you would have thought Wigan would come up with something better than that. They were basically a hoofball side well drilled on set pieces with their main weapon seemingly their number 16 hoof it towards the corner flag every time he got the ball and see if they can pick up the pieces. Which sadly is very effective in League 1, is starting to become effective in the Championship and is starting to infiltrate it's way to the Premier League. I'm happy with what I see from our team, and can accept that if that means we are stuck in League 1 in or about the play off positions at least I get a good level of entertainment for my money.

After the last lockdown and having found lots of other interesting things to do on a Saturday afternoon I wasn't sure whether I would enjoy football as much going forward. I am pleased to say that based on our performances this season (except for a couple of shockers and few minutes of total madness!) I love this game and wouldn't do anything else.
Do we miss more ‘open goals’ than other teams do?

You must have seen the Wigan fresh air shot in the second half.
Rotherham missed some very good chances too.

The first two goals we let in were very soft, especially the second. But that’s going to happen when the team is rejigged at the last minute. It makes our comeback even more creditable. Shame about the winner but I guess everyone was knackered by then and injured players couldn’t be replaced.

I agree with everything apart from the last paragraph. I can't believe I missed going to a game so much! I just love the pride of feeling true Oxford born and bred. When the teams walked out to Ride's glorious OX4 yesterday I had bloody goosebumps!

Without being to critical off Eastwood, it's the same type of goal as against MK Don's. A low shot close to his body and across the goal.
He had no chance for Wigan's third. McClean is probably still too good for L1. That was drilled very hard into the far corner. I thought he was slightly back on his feet (a common fault of his) for the second. But the third, no chance. Thought we played very well, but always felt Wigan could nick it last ten. With a first choice team, we would have won. I thought Wigan were slightly better than Rotherham, but neither are a L1 standout team. If we can keep Brannigan and Kane in January, add two good L1 players (one of whom must be a forward) we'll have a chance of the automatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom