Home Match Day Thread 20/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Northampton Town

Who was your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But Negru and Matete made mistakes. Not Long.

Were you at the game?
Do you think Long's choice of a 65yard back pass to the keeper (although I'm not at all convinced it was even intended for Cumming) was a good option, given the status of the game and our field position at the time?

Did the ball deflect off of Long for their 2nd goal? It was just weird that Cumming seemed like he was wrong footed.

Do you think Long's choice of a 65yard back pass to the keeper (although I'm not at all convinced it was even intended for Cumming) was a good option, given the status of the game and our field position at the time?
I think his pass was symptomatic of the negativity that has crept into how we play.
He had time to control the ball, turn and run the line.
That said once Cumming received the ball, neither Browne nor Leigh moved towards him and β€œ forced” him to kick it long to a Northampton players.
The rest is history, but how we then dealt with the ball was poor, with several players failing in there duty to defend and dispossess

anyone else think Long was actually trying to pass it to Negru? It's just a poor pass by a pretty average player. I think the outrage for it on here is really because the action was symptomatic of our play for most of the game; pretty negative. e.g. whenever Brown or Negru stopped passing it along the backline and we drove forward, they couldn't cope at all with it. Very frustrating. Tough to blame one individual for the 2nd goal as it is a dreadful series of errors. Josh Mc running in quicksand to (not) block the cross may even be top of the pile of dreadful-ness

If he was aiming for Negru and it went to Cummings that is Findlay level passing.

I sort of agree, it was a moment of madness from Long that 99 times out of 100 doesn’t even come into his head to do.

From the point it does go to Long to the point we concede is a truly awful sequence of play, one of the worst goals I have seen us concede from a team perspective in a long time.

You know it's an awful, awful goal you've conceded when you're still arguing about it 48 hours later, and noone can agree which of five players to pin the most blame to!

But for me, it's actually McEachran.

Yes, Long has no business playing that pass. And yes, Negru panicked and should have dealt with that aimless lump forward better and got it out of play.

But despite all that, Northampton are so inept that they still give us the ball back. And then McEachran tries to play a five yard pass to Matete from the edge of his own area....misses his target by a couple of yards, then lollops back and fails to put his body on the line to stop the cross. If he either puts his foot through the ball (which is what he should be doing in the 92 minute when we've got a one goal lead) or makes a better attempt at blocking the cross, we have two more points on the board.

Think he's probably turned out to be our most disappointing summer signing........

It was a catalogue of errors responsible for that ridiculous goal.

Long had a reasonable game as far as I am concerned, but there is no denying that the whole phase prior to the goal (30 seconds) started with an inexplicable back pass under minimal pressure at a time when we were in the ascendancy and should have been focused on continuing to drive forward.

It was a right royal f**k up from that moment and if Des is not giving each and everyone involved in that debacle some serious s**t, I will be rather annoyed.

We move on, but let’s hope we really do learn from some of these shambolic moments.

Leyton Orient on Saturday… πŸ™‚.

COYY’s

You know it's an awful, awful goal you've conceded when you're still arguing about it 48 hours later, and noone can agree which of five players to pin the most blame to!

Yes, Long has no business playing that pass. And yes, Negru panicked and should have dealt with that aimless lump forward better and got it out of play.

But despite all that, Northampton are so inept that they still give us the ball back. And then McEachran tries to play a five yard pass to Matete from the edge of his own area....misses his target by a couple of yards, then lollops back and fails to put his body on the line to stop the cross. If he either puts his foot through the ball (which is what he should be doing in the 92 minute when we've got a one goal lead) or makes a better attempt at blocking the cross, we have two more points on the board.

Think he's probably turned out to be our most disappointing summer signing........

It’s all of them involved in that phase.

Team game, team f**k up.

Last edited:
Ryan has hit the nail on the head again, here.

Our club attempting to exploit us, off the back of Joey’s passing is absolutely grotesque. I’m staggered that there hasn’t been more made of this from supporters.

I chose to donate directly to the foundation, rather than buy the shirt. It’s a shame as I liked the shirt but it’s the principle of it.

Fair Play to our independent supporters group, their offer of matching donations from those that do not wish to purchase the shirt is a nice gesture. Kudos to OXVOX!
I've been busy and not been on top of the joey shirt thing. Just had a look. A disgrace

This is right. I hadn't thought it through and realised when I read this ... yes the most irritating thing was that failed pass. That was an opportunity to put the ball almost anywhere except where he put it, and there is less of an excuse than for the others because he had most controlled opportunity, but instead of turning it into possession went for the risky tight pass..

Back
Top Bottom