Home Match Day Thread 26/12/23: L1 - OUFC v Cambridge

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
As I said in the build up thread, we need a good performance and result in front of a big crowd.

McGuane was a revelation under Manning. His silky skills moving the play forward and creating scoring chances for others with great passing was the hall mark of the way the team then played . That's now all gone. Today, he was clearly in a defensive midfield role and was the reason we were not organised in moving the play forward. That seemed to me on instruction from DB and when he was substututed went straight down the tunnel. This lack of an attacking midfielder playing the ball forward at pace meant that that our play was slow and lacked movement. At times it seems the majority of players were static and unaware of what they should be doing and where. I guess this sort of thing happens when a team transitions between a new coach and the last one. If DB had all the players who are out injured available to him (now also it aeems including Murphy who was beginning realise his potential on the left wing) then this would be less of a baptism of fire. He will need time to get the team playing as he (and we) want and that will need a good transfer window getting in the players we undoubtedly need and saying goodbye to those who aren't cutting it.
If LM had stayed I think we may have got promoted this season and whilst I think he will do so eventually, it's now a big ask for DB to achieve.
MM was ill as confirmed in post match interview, probably played as long as he could and then went off.

Am I being thick lol but why wasn't Tyler allowed to join in the celebrations why did he have to stay on the pitch 🤔

Am I being thick lol but why wasn't Tyler allowed to join in the celebrations why did he have to stay on the pitch 🤔
I remember seeing this before somewhere and apparently it is to do with all outfield players being off the pitch the opposition team can restart the game.

Not sure if that is true but Tyler obviously thought so.

First half was shockingly bad it was like there was 11 stranger's playing in yellow..... 2nd half was like watching a different game we were much better and looked like a point would of been a good result BUT to get all 3 was amazing...... Derby will be alot harder especially if we play like we did in the 1st half looking forward to it tho ( hopefully another full house)
Not a surprise really! We have 7 excellent players on the sick list. This is league one not PL, so second string will be weaker and needed time to click together, which they obviously did second half. Thanks Des and the boys, you are trying so hard, and made my Christmas. Roll on the New Year with some new signings and boys off the sick list. COYY

I remember seeing this before somewhere and apparently it is to do with all outfield players being off the pitch the opposition team can restart the game.

Not sure if that is true but Tyler obviously thought so.
If none of our players are in their half, they can restart the game, regardless of whether our players are in our half. Tyler staying on the pitch meant they couldn't do that.

Brown is an absolute warrior.

Not only reacts quickest to score the winner, but made a superb goal bound block in the first half.

Clearly a better central defender than a left back, however you know he’d give it his all even if he was asked to play right wing.*

*Karl thought about it, decided to play Agyei there instead.

If none of our players are in their half, they can restart the game, regardless of whether our players are in our half. Tyler staying on the pitch meant they couldn't do that.
"The laws are clear. Law eight says 'all players, except the player taking the kick-off, must be in their own half of the field of play,' at kick off. Therefore, the referee clearly cannot and would not (from a fairness perspective) allow the kick off whilst players are off the field celebrating.”

Tyler (and some of our fans) seems to still think this isn’t the case. Has been a mistruth since 2018 on social media, with people still thinking the ref is just going to let a team of eleven to kick-off against the goalie!

Brown is an absolute warrior.

Not only reacts quickest to score the winner, but made a superb goal bound block in the first half.

Clearly a better central defender than a left back, however you know he’d give it his all even if he was asked to play right wing.*

*Karl thought about it, decided to play Agyei there instead.
Brought up through non league with the likes of Wealdstone, so’s had a good upbringing.

"The laws are clear. Law eight says 'all players, except the player taking the kick-off, must be in their own half of the field of play,' at kick off. Therefore, the referee clearly cannot and would not (from a fairness perspective) allow the kick off whilst players are off the field celebrating.”

Tyler (and some of our fans) seems to still think this isn’t the case. Has been a mistruth since 2018 on social media, with people still thinking the ref is just going to let a team of eleven to kick-off against the goalie!
Ah, I see it's typical social media nonsense. I had never heard of it before myself.

Ah, I see it's typical social media nonsense. I had never heard of it before myself.
It’s always a bit of an eye-opener that so many footballers don’t know many of the rules of the game.

You’d think that with the amount of spare time they have, they might learn these kinds of things given that it relates to their passion and livelihoods.

Ooooor they could just play EA Sports FC and go on TikTok all day once training has finished 🤣

Stemming from a social media clip of an entire team doing the "baby in the crib" celebration off the pitch and the opposition kicking off, if I recall.

McGuane was a revelation under Manning. His silky skills moving the play forward and creating scoring chances for others with great passing was the hall mark of the way the team then played . That's now all gone. Today, he was clearly in a defensive midfield role and was the reason we were not organised in moving the play forward. That seemed to me on instruction from DB and when he was substututed went straight down the tunnel. This lack of an attacking midfielder playing the ball forward at pace meant that that our play was slow and lacked movement. At times it seems the majority of players were static and unaware of what they should be doing and where. I guess this sort of thing happens when a team transitions between a new coach and the last one. If DB had all the players who are out injured available to him (now also it aeems including Murphy who was beginning realise his potential on the left wing) then this would be less of a baptism of fire. He will need time to get the team playing as he (and we) want and that will need a good transfer window getting in the players we undoubtedly need and saying goodbye to those who aren't cutting it.
If LM had stayed I think we may have got promoted this season and whilst I think he will do so eventually, it's now a big ask for DB to achieve.
They said on RO that McGuane was feeling a bit ill which is why he went straight down the tunnel.

I may sound like a broken record, but Mceachran is a must in home games against low blocks
Which 45 minutes is he going to play, or have you bought him a new pair of legs for Xmas. Main issue is not McGuane or Mceachran, it is the pace of play, players look incapable of passing and moving at the moment.
Strange how often matches against Cambridge end up defining our managers career path.

It’s always a bit of an eye-opener that so many footballers don’t know many of the rules of the game.

You’d think that with the amount of spare time they have, they might learn these kinds of things given that it relates to their passion and livelihoods.

Ooooor they could just play EA Sports FC and go on TikTok all day once training has finished 🤣
Or perhaps Tyler wasn't taking any chances given some of the officiating we've seen this season.

We are struggling from a lack of height in the team once again. Earlier in the season when both Long and Leigh were playing, or even when Brown was at left back, we were much better in the air defensively.

I really like what Bennet has the offered. Seriously impressive the minutes he has racked up back to back after a period out of the game. But with him at left back, Steven’s at right back, and a small midfield we struggle from set prices and really struggle when games become a battle.

I have wanted a ‘big enforcer’ in the midfield for a long time now. It may not fit our ‘style’ but I think it’s much needed. It would also free McGuane Branagan and RR to do their best work. Also, with noting that most of the best teams in the world manage to find space for this sort of midfielder.

Bennett is actually taller than Leigh, according to wikipedia anyway. Leigh does seem to be able to jump an extra few inches over anyone else though!

Back
Top Bottom