International News Black Lives Matter

The "ism" you seek is called life.
Life deals folk a hand they have little choice in.
What does happen is that each generation has it slightly better than the last.
How people chose to spend their "four score years and ten" is entirely up to them and their choices, even if those choices are more limited for some because life isn`t fair.
What is the 'ism' to describe what you've said above as an excuse for some political parties to do little or nothing of real worth to improve the lot of the people you refer to because it may put a dent in the pockets of the super rich?

What rot. That may be how you see it, but it is simply not the life experience many have. And to say that's the hand they've been dealt suggests that you have absolutely no desire to change anything to improve anyone's lot

Racism was "life" years ago....for many it still is - thankfully that is changing. Sexism and misogyny too - again thankfully that has changed/contiunes to change, but still is their life experience to some extent in certain circumstances. In the same way both of those "acts of fate" dictated how fair your life was to a significant extent. (and for many it still does).

People purposefully made the lives of others more difficult than they needed to be - maybe as Bash says, that is human nature and has been for Eon's - however, civilisation evolves over time and there rally is no need to perpetuate the same kind of behaviours and discriminations the species has been practicing ever since it climbed out of the cave/tree.

To be so simplistic as to think everyone has complete control over the choices they make in how their lives turn out is naive in the extreme. And that is before you even consider the imperfection of the human condition and our unerring ability to make poor choices that affect how our lives pan out. Simply trying to do the right thing against an enormous pressure from peers and those in their local community to take a different path is not enough for many. You cannot deny that poverty is a trap and for some and one that they only ever escape by foul means because that is the only realistic option they have available. These are multi-generational ingrained issues and to say it is as easy as "make the right choices and you'll be fine" is the modern day equivalent of "let them eat cake".

I will agree to a limited extent that each generation has it better. As my old Granny (born in the North East in 1915) used to say "you never see children without shoes anymore". However, the challenges each generation faces are different and largely unique to them and to dismiss them as "not as hard as I had it" misses the point hugely. I would not want to be a young person today in truth. Job prospects/security lower, personal and national debts higher, exposure to sexual abuse - higher, climate crisis, water/food/resources scarcity and population pressure increasing, gap between rich and poor increasing, Life expectancy going in the wrong direction in some parts of the UK. And on that final point - how do you explain that healthy life years expectancy in Blackpool is 53 years and in Richmond it is 73 years?

So whilst some elements may be better than their forebearers, many aren't or are just different. We have the means and ability to change all that if we choose to, but if left to individuals, nothing will change.

Is the ism I'm looking for Conservatism (as in conserving the status quo), I wonder :unsure:

What a prick!

So what do you propose? North Korean model where everyone thinks they are equal but a select few are far more equal?

Jesus, you paint a picture that nothing has changed for the better in the last 50+ years which is, frankly, complete bollox.

Pollution - remember smog? When people died because the air we breath was about as toxic as it could be.
Quality of housing....... outdoor toilets? No central heating?
Quality & availability of jobs with a decent salary?
Open racism & sexism hasn`t improved at all since the 70`s?

Kids in schools being exposed to sex & poor behaviour might well be because every little cherub over the age of 8 seems to have had a mobile phone glued to their hand............

What is the 'ism' to describe what you've said above as an excuse for some political parties to do little or nothing of real worth to improve the lot of the people you refer to because it may put a dent in the pockets of the super rich?

I`m sure you do not subscribe to the capitalism model, you don`t buy products produced at an environmental cost in far off lands.................nope course you don`t.
I bet you have never bought anything from Amazon delivered to your door by some poor sod with 180 drops on £8 an hour....
That moral high ground you attempt to occupy is a little lower now.

Yes it is................ although the Frothy @Sheik djibouti might have missed that by several nautical miles!

I may well claim a "Woooooossshhh" there.... :ROFLMAO:
Of course it is a spoof, but perhaps you ought to read the comments on the YouTube to realise that a lot of people think he speaks more truth and more sincerely than many who claim to be deadly serious. So sad that so many feel so threatened by the gesture.

Claim a whooosh if you want . . . I guess that's part of your job description on here too is it :ROFLMAO:

So what do you propose? North Korean model where everyone thinks they are equal but a select few are far more equal?

Jesus, you paint a picture that nothing has changed for the better in the last 50+ years which is, frankly, complete bollox.

Pollution - remember smog? When people died because the air we breath was about as toxic as it could be.

Kids in schools being exposed to sex & poor behaviour might well be because every little cherub over the age of 8 seems to have had a mobile phone glued to their hand............

I`m sure you do not subscribe to the capitalism model, you don`t buy products produced at an environmental cost in far off lands.................nope course you don`t.
I bet you have never bought anything from Amazon delivered to your door by some poor sod with 180 drops on £8 an hour....
Were you responding to a different post? I can't not see the link between my post and your 'reply'. Or maybe, yet again, yawn ....... SQUIRREL!

Is that the model where you don't question anything the government does, they break their own rules, and they run any investigations into what they are doing themselves?

Think we already have that system... 😂

Obtuse post alert! (there's a surpirse!).

Did you not understand the bit where I said "I agree with you to a limited extent" - did that not compute?

And no surprise either that you look down on young people with disdain - is that because you're firmly of the belief that "it wasn't like that in my day" and anything which is outside your limited lived experience counts for less?

Dear oh dear - I reckon you're only a few years away from "old man shouting at cloud" territory if you carry on like this :ROFLMAO:

What you said is in this box ^^^^^

My response to your bit ^^^^^^^

Just to make it easier for you........................ :)

Breaking news ...

Starmer is absolutely correct. Everyone knows why Johnson declined to criticise the booing fans. Who'd expect him to upset some of the party's core voters?

• React
Reactions: QR
Breaking news ...

Starmer is absolutely correct. Everyone knows why Johnson declined to criticise the booing fans. Who'd expect him to upset some of the party's core voters?

If players wish to take the knee is an individual choice, and one that they can make. In the same token, fans booing is an individual choice and one that they can make. It make neither racist or non-racist, it's a choice free people can make and express .

If players wish to take the knee is an individual choice, and one that they can make. In the same token, fans booing is an individual choice and one that they can make. It make neither racist or non-racist, it's a choice free people can make and express .

Absolutely!

If I want to boo at The Cenotaph on Remembrance Day, it's my own individual choice. And no political figure, media commentator or forum member should admonish me for doing so.

Michael Holding, based on his interview today, I suspect would say you are writing absolute rubbish.
im pretty sure most people in the uk would agree with me maybe not students and lefties and certain politicians .

Absolutely!

If I want to boo at The Cenotaph on Remembrance Day, it's my own individual choice. And no political figure, media commentator or forum member should admonish me for doing so.
and why would you do that exactly .

im pretty sure most people in the uk would agree with me maybe not students and lefties and certain politicians .

I'm certain they wouldn't. Although I'm sure the racists in society would agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom