Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

It wont turn nasty and nor should it, that would be a crazy over reaction. It would be a more subdued frustration and maybe the beginning of a waning trust that Des is the right man. Look at the stick on social media that Rooney was getting after four consecutive defeats and taking a team flying high hurtling down the table. Rooney wasn't born in Birmingham but should Des being born in Oxford carry blind faith ? About 1 in 50 posts on their forums and other social media platforms were backing Rooney - that's a lot of w****** who weren't.

I would be angry if I was a Birmingham fan too.
Not with Rooney so much as with their Board because their fall is entirely self-inflicted.....turfing out a young manager who was doing an excellent job to bring in the big name. Especially because they did exactly the same thing seven years ago with the Rowett/Zola switch and went from the edge of the playoffs to almost getting relegated the same season.

Now that anger shouldn't necessarily be aimed at Rooney himself.....but football fans are sometimes not the best at focusing their vitriol.

As Oxford fans, there's noone in the club that deserves the anger and abuse if we get off to a slow start under Des. If that happens, the villain will still be plying his trade in Bristol....

I really hope I'm wrong but I think we will get beat tonight. Win at Cheltenham and I think we could have handled a defeat tonight. Des would have been up and running and the pressure off. Lose tonight and any honeymoon is absolutely done, he will just become another Oxford United manager rather than the homecoming hero. Lose with another lacklustre, demotivated and inept performance like Saturday, followed by a grinning post match interview and questions, I think, will be raised after just two games. Not about his job obviously but perhaps whether the leap from Mumbai to L1 is going to take more time than expected and, in the process, derail our promotion bid.

Harsh ? Maybe, but it's the reality of football. I'm reasonably hopeful in the long run that he might be the man, I just haven't been convinced by a worrying first game and any interviews he's given - most certainly the post match one on Saturday. Win, lose or draw tonight hopefully we may see a bit of reaction and emotion from him - be it joy, anger, opinion etc. Right now, he's just a bit bland, nothing really interesting or ground breaking to say and making Manning look positively charismatic.
Goodness. Embarrassing

Little weird there was no song acknowledging the new boss at any point last night.
It was almost like he wasn't actually there. Saw him wave just before kick off and that was it.
No idea if he stood in his box or just sat on the bench the entire game, but didn't see him after that wave.

It`ll take a while for DB to find his feet, learn about the players etc etc and the last 2 results have probably proved that.

Any news on the new backroom staff? Said last week that we were looking outside the club and hoped to be in place this week, if I heard correctly.

Any news on the new backroom staff? Said last week that we were looking outside the club and hoped to be in place this week, if I heard correctly.
On RO on Saturday , he said it was very close but wouldn't be tied down to a specific date.

On RO on Saturday , he said it was very close but wouldn't be tied down to a specific date.
On the new Dub, it was revealed this afternoon that we’ve missed out on our number one target.

Closer to appointing our new Analyst.

A decent listen as it’s a half hour chat with Buckingham.

Getting practice in for January!

Who knows, it could be different this time around. If paranoid android Manning can convince players here, Dishy Des certainly can.

It’ll certainly beat KR’s ‘Old Gil’ act that we used to see every January.

‘You shoulda seen me in there. I was so close to landing a superstar. You wouldn’t know the tricks I pulled and how we so nearly got ‘im …’

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom