England vs Denmark - Semi Final

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
Anyone notice that there was a stray ball on the pitch in the run up to the penalty incident? The game should’ve been stopped for that - it was in the line of play. Then a soft penalty was given and not overturned when it probably should’ve been. Then the penalty was missed and the rebound slipped and squirmed back to the taker.

Sometimes your name is just written down. Incredible. Just incredible.
There was also a laser pointer thing on Schmeichel. [emoji854] didn't stop him saving it though.

Anyone notice that there was a stray ball on the pitch in the run up to the penalty incident? The game should’ve been stopped for that - it was in the line of play. Then a soft penalty was given and not overturned when it probably should’ve been. Then the penalty was missed and the rebound slipped and squirmed back to the taker.

Soft penalty or not we’ve had soft penalties a warded against us and England so why not, VAR said it was so if any blame then blame VAR.
But what the heck we’re bin the final

Soft penalty or not we’ve had soft penalties a warded against us and England so why not, VAR said it was so if any blame then blame VAR.
But what the heck we’re bin the final
Absolutely zero complaints from me, merely highlighting that the luck all went our way which is a good omen. Couldn’t give a s**t about the slightly dodgy call - tough luck. Win some you lose some. Them’s the breaks. I’ll take it all day long and don’t give a damn. I was off the sofa when it was given, when the rebound went in and when the final whistle went.

Well done England and let’s hope we can finish the Job off on Sunday.
As for the penalty being soft, if it was up the other end it would have been given and VAR looked at it and didn’t overturn it. If that was soft it wasn’t as soft as the free kick Denmark scored from.
roll on Sunday 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

I thought var said to overturn a penalty if it was clear the ref made a mistake. Not , was it a soft penalty and to make the decision again from fresh.

The pessimist in me says we'll lose against Italy in 120 minutes but win in 240 mins.

I thought var said to overturn a penalty if it was clear the ref made a mistake. Not , was it a soft penalty and to make the decision again from fresh.
Then let me rephrase. Sterling fell over without being fouled and it wasn’t overturned.

It was a penalty on balance. Kane’s trip in first half was a stronger shout though. We’ve had more than our fair share of bad luck over the years in tournaments. To have some good luck this time is not ‘incredible’ I’d counter.
We deserved to win anyway.

It was a penalty on balance. Kane’s trip in first half was a stronger shout though. We’ve had more than our fair share of bad luck over the years in tournaments. To have some good luck this time is not ‘incredible’ I’d counter.
We deserved to win anyway.
I was not calling the penalty decision incredible. Nor was I in any way implying that England were not the better team or that they were somehow unworthy winners overall. I was calling England being in a major final incredible, because it’s the first time in 55 years, since the famous images of 1966, that it has happened. That is incredible.

The penalty almost certainly shouldn’t have been given, it was poorly struck and the rebound doesn’t roll perfectly back to Kane like that if it’s saved another 20 times. Do I care? Not a jot. Was I off the sofa? Damn right I was.

I was not calling the penalty decision incredible. Nor was I in any way implying that England were not the better team or that they were somehow unworthy winners overall. I was calling England being in a major final incredible, because it’s the first time in 55 years, since the famous images of 1966, that it has happened. That is incredible.

Although you could argue that what's more incredible is that England - despite being the historic home of the game, and having for large periods of time dominated the club football scene, including 14 Champions League/European Cup wins - have gone 55 years without a major tournament final appearance!

13 World Cup finals and 13 Euros. By my count, 15 different nations represented in finals.....but never England. Until now.

Just makes you want to go and give Gareth a great big bear hug!
He's not one of the game's natural entertainers, but he has shown himself to be very tactically astute and extremely pragmatic. And the results speak for themselves......

Let’s be honest, who gives a f**k, about any of it. All that matters is it’s coming home and when it comes home we are going to lock it in a cage and never let it out again so it can’t escape.

Win the Euros, cancel football, retire on top.

Let’s be honest, who gives a f**k, about any of it. All that matters is it’s coming home and when it comes home we are going to lock it in a cage and never let it out again so it can’t escape.

Win the Euros, cancel football, retire on top.
“Euros? Completed it.”

Now the dust has settled and the emotions have simmered down, we can look at the game in the cold light of day.

I thought Denmark’s substitutions actually did them no favours. They disrupted their rhythm entirely and whilst they were toe to toe with England in the first half (comfortably better at times), after the 60th minute or so were chasing the game. It was only an organised defensive set up that kept them in it. They barely threatened the England goal after that and Pickford didn’t have much to do.

The dubious penalty decision has been taken with good grace in the Danish media. They acknowledged that England were the better side. It’s a shame that it had to be that won it but you’ve seen those decisions made week in and week out. My immediate reaction was penalty and Sterling is very lightly clipped so you could argue that within the laws of the game it was a correct call.

Back
Top Bottom