National News National Lockdown coming

Going off topic a bit. I remember well the Cup match down there in the eighties. United sealed it 2 nil with a second half strike from Andy Thomas in front of the away end. Of course the fans went mad and rightly so. What followed was quite unexpected. Dover fans followed us street by street with 10p coins (florins) whistling above our heads and one direct hit putting one United fan on his knees. I do not know what League Dover were in at the time, but they were well up for it that day. Perhaps United had a bit of a reputation. Memories.........

Another Covid announcement incoming at 5pm live on BBC1

......how late will bojo be delivering todays announcement ?

Apart from his foresight was right and something you accused him of not doing. Other than that.....
If you mean the October ‘circuit breaker’
‘His’ foresight?
Or was it the scientists, three weeks previously. Or some Tory MP’s. Or Mark Drakeford.

‘His’ foresight?
Or was it the scientists, three weeks previously. Or some Tory MP’s. Or Mark Drakeford.
I’m sure someone from the labour party were praising Mark Drakeford for his circuit breaker, that didn’t work

It takes extraordinary delusion to believe that any alternative government, regardless of the colour of their rosette, would have handled things worse than this bunch of charlatans and con merchants. To genuinely believe such nonsense would be admitting that not only do we have one of the worst and most incompetent governments in the entire developed world, but that we have nobody better to offer.

I refuse to believe that. And I find it more than a little amusing that the people who do are simultaneously shouting at people to “believe in Britain” while dribbling down themselves. Irony doesn’t even cover it.

Last edited:
‘His’ foresight?
Well we know who it wasn't.

‘His’ foresight?

So a political leader who actually listens to Scientists and suggests action in a timely fashion, well I never. Maybe Johnson and his Govt should listen as well.

So a political leader who actually listens to Scientists and suggests action in a timely fashion, well I never. Maybe Johnson and his Govt should listen as well.
As I said, it’s so easy in opposition; that comfortable, safe place with no pressure to make any life changing decisions about the future of the country, in fact, no kind of statements at all until you’ve heard the groundswell of opinion, informed or otherwise, and decided that you might want to take that popular standpoint.
Let’s hope we never have to test his decision making on national issues when it really matters.

I’m sure most people on here are absolutely willing Johnson to get things right and to get on top of this. Regardless of individuals political persuasions we all want this to end as quickly as possible! That said it’s very difficult to come up with a list of people (outside of his own government) who could have handled this much worse.

There were glaring errors right from the start and we’ve simply not got on top of them. It’s not helped that he’s built an army of yes men in his cabinet who are equally out of their depth!

Why are we still not enforcing mandatory quarantine on arrivals to the U.K. and why haven’t we for months?

Why do we still not have an effective test, track and trace system akin to other countries?

Why when cases were rising exponentially did Johnson continue to force the Christmas message?

Why did he delay with the last lockdown?

Why were schools forced to remain open when they reported an increase in transmission?
It can’t even be said that it’s hindsight because there are people on this forum with far less information than Johnson who have questioned his actions and have largely been proven right.

It’s an absolute shambles and thanks to the absolute mismanagement of the crisis public confidence has been eroded to such a state that people are doing what they want. We really need to hope that this vaccine proves to be effective because it’s quite clear that we have no other way of getting on top of this in the U.K.

Attempts at humour can't detract from the fact you're statement was incorrect.
Tell me how it’s incorrect.
In fact, don’t bother because to be fair, the whole Starmer / Johnson ‘who would do a better job’ debate is a tired one on this forum.
Apologies to the moderators , and anyone else tired of this debate, for starting the whole thing over again.

Back
Top Bottom