General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
So any contamination on the Triangle land ,O.U.F.C will make good when building the Stadium!
Just like S.B. , don't worry it will all be cleaned up for you , wonder if you will refuse OUFC commitment to look after SB of course not it won't cost you a penny that's why !
Supporters money will help to look after the upkeep of SB through the turnstiles to pay part of the expense so a little respect please , we are the lifeline of the club as all supporters are with there club , its our MONEY !!

My parents came for a visit today from Herefordshire and we got talking about the new stadium and the view of football fans from our friends at FOSB. Interestingly my mum told me about a conversation she had with someone from the local town (Kington) about football fans and their view was that all football fans were hooligans. My mum had to point out that her son was a keen football fan. They back tracked and said ‘well I’m sure your son isn’t one of them’. My mum then had to point out that I’ve being going up and down the country for years and taken in 72 football league grounds with very little problems.

It seems it isn’t just the FOSB with these ancient views but an overall view from the older generations that all football fans are hooligans.
They’re not alone.

I introduced the conversation in passing to one of my guys in my business who sat with a client. These views are worryingly entrenched. Not to mention I’d consider the people in question to be ‘normal’ and their view of all football supporters to be overturning busses, setting things alight and attacking innocent bystanders.

I have to say, my take was that they were genuinely scared of football supporters and their views came from a place of fear above all else. Sadly when views are so strongly felt, no logic, fact or reasoning would dispel the idea.

In my view, they’d have to experience a handful of games to acknowledge their position is greatly misplaced.

They’re not alone.

I introduced the conversation in passing to one of my guys in my business who sat with a client. These views are worryingly entrenched. Not to mention I’d consider the people in question to be ‘normal’ and their view of all football supporters to be overturning busses, setting things alight and attacking innocent bystanders.

I have to say, my take was that they were genuinely scared of football supporters and their views came from a place of fear above all else. Sadly when views are so strongly felt, no logic, fact or reasoning would dispel the idea.

In my view, they’d have to experience a handful of games to acknowledge their position is greatly misplaced.
Apart from the actual hooligan angle, there are more subtle fears that people have which are worth discussing when you have the chance. Football matches are one of the few places people get to let off steam, bellow at the top of their voice, hug their mate, cry, and express shear joy. These are all positive and important for the nation’s mental health, but also a bit scary for people who aren’t used to it and prefer a quiet repressed life.
So, even going to a game, or being in a crowd near a game is uncomfortable and culturally foreign for some people, and needs some explanation.

Now who are FofSB leafleting ? Does the imagination of the GAP affect those who live Garsington, Wallingford, Yarnton, Cowley, Abingdon, Didcot, Bicester,Banbury etc? Are they just dropping leaflets through the letterbox of Kidlington people?

These people seem to think Kidlington has a given right to stop this when in fact they don’t. KPC and FofSB forced the OCC to take SB off the table, they have no lease on the Triangle. When they accuse football supporters of all be hooligans, when was the last time you read about supporters throwing orange paint over valuable treasures, or walking slow to disrupt traffic stopping ambulances getting seriously I’ll people to hospital. When was the last time you read about football supporters throwing paint over historic buildings or blocking major roads ? You don’t these actions are carried out under the banner of the environment, they are in my view the real hooligans and FofSB are of made of the same stuff.

Its not the football supporter that we have to watch as we are not the hooligans.

As I said , they've been handing these leaflets out for a couple of weeks now, I saw them at the train station.. plus I've noticed this last week ,people have jumped on board ,from all over Oxfordshire.
Not wanting the stadium, & questioning it.
Now I don't know i,f these are individual responses, or something like a collective of People. Now I got the impression, when I got told of a protest march , the response on this thread was, ahhh well it's nothing .
Well I'm Sorry it is something & it wouldn't surprise me if they do march . Oh & there'll have a couple of last minute surprises thrown in somewhere along the line still. Can't believe how fans have been so slow on the take up of filling in the form.
It's a little worrying I think , you need it to be thousands ,out of a population of 3 quarters of a million Oxfordshire residents, & rising..
Remember answer the question & phone a friend 🤘🤘

When I was a schoolboy in the 50's my preschool job was to make lardy cakes for my dad who was a baker in Witney. My recipe was 3/4 lb bread dough rolled out to a 9 inch circle. Smear on 1/4 lb lard and spread 1/4 lb each of currants and sugar. Fold each of 4 sides in and roll out again to 9 in . Repeat and the score top , sprinkle sugar over and bake. Probably wouldn't be allowed today as too unhealthy. Never had one in Australia
It’s probably not unhealthy enough in today’s highly processed, high salt, high sugar market

• React
Reactions: m
As I said , they've been handing these leaflets out for a couple of weeks now, I saw them at the train station.. plus I've noticed this last week ,people have jumped on board ,from all over Oxfordshire.
Not wanting the stadium, & questioning it.
Now I don't know i,f these are individual responses, or something like a collective of People. Now I got the impression, when I got told of a protest march , the response on this thread was, ahhh well it's nothing .
Well I'm Sorry it is something & it wouldn't surprise me if they do march . Oh & there'll have a couple of last minute surprises thrown in somewhere along the line still. Can't believe how fans have been so slow on the take up of filling in the form.
It's a little worrying I think , you need it to be thousands ,out of a population of 3 quarters of a million Oxfordshire residents, & rising..
Remember answer the question & phone a friend 🤘🤘
I do agree that with the right impetus, there is no reason why there can't be 20 000+ in favour.
It's really getting this out there and pushing the importance of it.
With regard to the opposition, they too will find that Middleston's gang are in a small minority. Sure they may be able to get a march of 50 - 100 people together, but getting 1,000's to complete a poll? Most people can't be bothered I would think ( especially if they aren't that bothered about it)

To me it needs a massive concerted effort from the club and Oxvox. I know that both have contacted their databases, but E Mails are easily lost / missed.

A few on here appear to have asked anybody that they know positive to Oxford United to complete the survey. It all helps.

On a general note there will always be those who passionately protest against significant developments.
At Botley, hundreds of people, supported by Ms Moran, protested against the new shopping area, housing, student accommodation and hotel.

There was very little if any ‘vocal’ support for the project.

The anti brigade turned up at the site and formed a circle around the old development in protest with the Oxford Mail highlighting their anti position.
Month after month the Cumnor News ran articles vigorously apposing the development.

Spin forward 5 years we have a vibrant new clean and safe community hub.

For supporters of any new development to get an opportunity to show favour for a project is actually quite unusual.

This is why we must encourage as many people as possible of all ages to complete the survey.

However don’t be alarmed by the anti’s. They will always be there.

Be positive.

Last edited:
Good news on the Park&Ride front this morning re: the continuation of the 700 route involving Kidlington and... Headington. Must be fate!

Also, aside from his brilliant work on the new stadium, Niall’s commitment to a flat-cap at all times - including during a heat wave - is truly commendable! 😂

IMG_4032.jpeg

Last edited:
Good news on the Park&Ride front this morning re: the continuation of the 700 route involving Kidlington and... Headington. Must be fate!

Also, aside from his brilliant work on the new stadium, Niall’s commitment to a flat-cap at all times - including during a heat wave - is truly commendable! 😂

View attachment 14065
First in line to be the star of the next Peaky Blinders series.

You've stated up the thread: "For me, the main issue at the minute is a chronic lack of clarity", then complain that people won't read the documentation provided by the club, which provides a lot of information, and dare I say it, clarity.

"Where's the clarity?"
"It's in this document"
"I'm not reading that. Where's the clarity?"
"It's in this document"
...repeat ad nauseam

Perhaps you could be specific about what you want clarity about. If it's about what beer they'll serve in the bars, you might be waiting. If it's about how the club believe they'll meet the 7 criteria required by OCC (which is the overwhelmingly important thing at this stage of the process), then you might be in luck if you look at the documents provded.
From the document: 'e. Promoting innovation – utilise technology to improve the way things are done, nurturing a culture of collaboration and new ideas'... what technology? how will it improve the way things are done, and what is meant by 'things'? what ideas are to be collaborated on, and with who?

'We are investigating the potential for clean energy generation on site, with solar panels possible on the stadium’s extensive roof space'... this is just a statement of 'maybe'.

I've read the documents, and so have most people on this thread, yet look at all the questions still being asked. You can be as condescending as you like, it doesn't change the fact there are countless unanswered questions and a lot of ambiguity.

From the document: 'e. Promoting innovation – utilise technology to improve the way things are done, nurturing a culture of collaboration and new ideas'... what technology? how will it improve the way things are done, and what is meant by 'things'? what ideas are to be collaborated on, and with who?

'We are investigating the potential for clean energy generation on site, with solar panels possible on the stadium’s extensive roof space'... this is just a statement of 'maybe'.

I've read the documents, and so have most people on this thread, yet look at all the questions still being asked. You can be as condescending as you like, it doesn't change the fact there are countless unanswered questions and a lot of ambiguity.
You are undoubtedly right. There are still lots of unanswered questions. Lots of the statements are ambiguous, and aspirational. But, I think that's just the nature of the stage we're at. When the plans are actually released, many (if not all) of these questions should (and must) be answered.

It would be crazy to commit to everything before the architects etc have done their job in full.

You appear to be trying to take over from @greatunclekip as the forum moaner. You call yourself a "football fan" but tell us, in all honesty, which team you support, OUFC, Chester, or FOSB United?

I wouldn't say any of that displays a "chronic lack of clarity".

Obviously it's not as detailed as it would need to be in the planning application, but this gives some overview into what the club are looking at for the stadium, without turning the 32 page document (that you don't think anyone will read) into a much bigger document.

Technology and new ideas:. Grey water and rainwater capture. Solar. Green roof. All things that aren't part of the Kassam.

I'm sorry you feel I'm being condesending, but I'm just respnding to a poster who seems determinged to misrepresesent the situation.

This document isn't a planning application. There are lots of detail that will be part of that application, that simply can't be published yet.

Imagine the club putting into the public domain their confidential discussions with public transport providers, local organisations that might want to be part of the stadium use, etc, before the club have a decision on the sale/lease of the land. The opposition would have a field day, quite rightly, becuase that would be putting the cart before the horse.

This consultation is mainly about the 7 strategic priorities set by OCC. The club have put enough information for people to make a decision on if they believe they have been achieved.

A lot of new and advanced technology can be made available before the Stadium plans are up to date ! However do you remember the M25 planning , went ahead built it and by the time they finished it was out of date ,Three lanes were not enough that's why Four lanes have been built in a lot of places! Please hold back on the criticism of the clubs plan , all you are doing is putting obstacles in the way before they appear which is annoying ! You have your opinion that's fine but its in its infancy stages , don't spoil the dream !!!!

You are undoubtedly right. There are still lots of unanswered questions. Lots of the statements are ambiguous, and aspirational. But, I think that's just the nature of the stage we're at. When the plans are actually released, many (if not all) of these questions should (and must) be answered.

It would be crazy to commit to everything before the architects etc have done their job in full.
But this is the point of my original post... we're asking people to get on board with something, then providing them with ambiguous if's, but's, and maybe's.

Unless you're directly invested in something like us as fans are, it's hard to hold an opinion or support something when you don't have the information or details required to form said opinion.

But this is the point of my original post... we're asking people to get on board with something, then providing them with ambiguous if's, but's, and maybe's.

Unless you're directly invested in something like us as fans are, it's hard to hold an opinion or support something when you don't have the information or details required to form said opinion.
So you must think that the poll held in Kidlington was an awful waste of limited resources? Shame on those who called for it at that stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom